Full poem written for that UEFA feature

robandmundt

As people will have seen by now, I was the guy at the start of the UEFA video from the Vienna game. I wrote and performed the piece after connecting with a guy online who works for a media company that produces most stuff for UEFA.

Here is the full poem I wrote for the piece. It went through a couple of drafts and UEFA edited a bunch of it, but I was given a brief to work towards by a media exec, which will give certain lines some context, which was to cover the following

• Intro Glasgow
  • Type of city it is
  • Famous for (both football related and not)
  • Rivalries (not too pro Rangers)
  • Rangers history
  • The unfortunate demise
  • The long journey back
  • Back in Europe
  • Intro Gerrard
With that in mind I wrote the following which then turned into what I am immensely proud to say is a video which has been broadcast over Europe and seen by millions. Hope you enjoy.

"People make Glasgow"
Three words emblazoned on a building twenty stories high,
the mantra of the citizens illuminates the sky
in Scotland's biggest city.
A proud city, a city of industry and history,
the proud river Clyde blows a kiss to the
shipbuilders, welders and riveters who made this city what it is today.

There's famous sons aplenty.
Connolly would ask us where we'd be without our wellies,
John Logie Baird changed the world with the invention of the telly
upon which we'd watch Baxter, Dalglish, Miller and McLeish
and get on the march with Ally's Army.

Our Glasgow, Our city, Our "dear BLUE place"
34 years and counting the home of the two horse race.
Home to a rivalry unmatched throughout the world,
the Old Firm derby captures the imagination, ensnares the senses of every man, woman, boy and girl,
and you have to have a side so tell me what are you?
The east end's green or Southside's royal blue?

There's a world record holder in the burgh of Govan,
a team with 54 league titles that no-one sits above and
that is the famous Glasgow Rangers, Scotland's gallant few,
winners of the Cup winner's cup in Barcelona 1972.
Steeped in domestic and European success,
an unparalleled trophy room is dressed
with an astonishing 115 major honours. At this club, runners up medals go straight in the bin,
second is nothing - all or nothing to win.

As any true bluenose knows painfully too well,
the past seven years have been nothing but hell
for this behemoth of a club.
A succession of charlatans being handed the keys
would see this glorious institution brought down to its knees,
the fans looked on in agony with nothing to do
as the millions were punished for the faults of the few
at the top.
At times Rangers were hours from being wiped from existence,
but legends don't die, and nor does persistence.

A long journey back began after demotion to the bottom rung of Scottish football. It was hard, it was painful, it was sheer agony - but through it all one thing did not falter,
the level of football could not alter
the love the fans have for the club,
they live it they breathe it, they have blue blood.
50,000 folk you would see and you'd hear
if you'd been at Ibrox to see Rangers in Scotland's fourth tier.

They say that it's darkest before the dawn,
and through the darkness did we follow on.
To Alloa, Brechin and Cowdenbeath,
in Edinburgh we strolled through the sunshine on Leith,
hammering hosing and battering down,
the famous Glasgow Rangers, only show in town
and back by UNpopular demand to reclaim a seat at the top table. Back in Europe. Back where we belong.

And if there's one man who can fully restore the mentality to win he's currently at the helm.
Supporters overwhelmed
by the appointment of none other than Steven Gerrard, a man born with a winners medal round his neck. They say he's blue, he's white
and that he's dynamite.
The bears look to him for silverware, to finally banish the dark,
step into the light, Mr Gerrard - and you'll always hear us roaring from the stands at Ibrox Park.

As people will have seen by now, I was the guy at the start of the UEFA video from the Vienna game. I wrote and performed the piece after connecting with a guy online who works for a media company that produces most stuff for UEFA.

Here is the full poem I wrote for the piece. It went through a couple of drafts and UEFA edited a bunch of it, but I was given a brief to work towards by a media exec, which will give certain lines some context, which was to cover the following

• Intro Glasgow
  • Type of city it is
  • Rangers history
  • The unfortunate demise
  • The long journey back
  • Back in Europe
  • Intro Gerrard
With that in mind I wrote the following which then turned into what I am immensely proud to say is a video which has been broadcast over Europe and seen by millions. Hope you enjoy.
Good stuff mate,it was spine tingling watching it.
WATP

Excellent work mate. Link the video in the OP.

The video was excellent as well.

So proud to be a Bear in 2018.

But I was never prouder of my fellow supporters as I watched them fill the stands in every division of this hate filled wee country.

scotlands-successful-football-club-8763796.jpg

At the risk of repeating myself. Having stood on our packed to capacity terraces over the past 6 years it never ceases to amaze me the strength and depth of support for our Club.

I've actually had to pinch myself at times against lower league opposition when marveling on our record breaking attendances, all largely ignored by the media.

Said it before, there is a movie to be made here. The story of our travails and our collective determination to provide the necessary life support to sustain The Rangers is the stuff of dreams. The generations that follow us will forever be indebted to the modern era's Gallant Pioneers. Us. The Bears.

We now have a manager our Great Club deserves and 55 is at last on it's way. I've never felt prouder of my fellow supporters.

On the old board you would have deserved your own avatar. On this board I hope a round of applause from this fellow Bear shows my appreciation.

Cap doffed OP, superb mate!

Our Europa League run is the stuff of dreams, tremendous really...and it looks like there might be more to come.

True. Very true.

Must admit that I was really niaive back in 2012, I feared the worst, was utterly convinced we would loose entire generations of Support.

I do think we lost a lot of supporters however the bond between the fans and the Club was definitely strengthened.

Was utterly terrified about kids not wanting to come to Ibrox because of the unglamorous competition - and was completely wrong.

My proudest moment as a Bear will be in December as we strike fear in to the 'rump' of celtc supporters kettled in to the wedge.

To think that the demand for season tickets was so strong it gave the club the opportunity to slash their allocation.

I will never tire of posting this ....

Our greatest weapon feared most by our enemies is our loyalty.

• Intro Glasgow
  • Type of city it is
  • Rangers history
  • The unfortunate demise
  • The long journey back
  • Back in Europe
  • Intro Gerrard
fantastic mate

• Intro Glasgow
  • Type of city it is
  • Rangers history
  • The unfortunate demise
  • The long journey back
  • Back in Europe
  • Intro Gerrard

It was brilliant mate. A credit to you.

Contacted you on twitter yesterday asking if it was you and it's dawned upon me here, I remember you from the old board. Great video mate I really enjoyed it. try and get your mate to spin out more Rangers stuff please :) We need all the exposure we can get

Could anyone with contacts at Rangers get this played on the big screens before the game and at half time? It deserves to be seen by all

Thanks guys.

For those saying they thought I was an angry old guy, I might not be old, but they do not like creative types in this country who are proud Gers fans and Britons, so of course I'm angry trying to swim against the tide in the acting business :D
I hope Rangers can see that there is no need to go outside the pool of talent sitting on their own doorstep when they are compiling media stuff for the club itself.
I hope we see much more of you and you get the breaks your talent deserves.
That introduction of yours is something worth watching for a Bear....again and again and again.

• Intro Glasgow
  • Type of city it is
  • Rangers history
  • The unfortunate demise
  • The long journey back
  • Back in Europe
  • Intro Gerrard

Sniff sniff!!
grin570612a289aa046a.jpg

Fantastic poem mate! Really conveys what it is to be a Bear. I can sort of understand why, but it's just a shame they couldn't have used the entire piece instead of abridging it.

Fine vid for those who haven't seen it.

For some strange reason, I'm not getting sound watching this on my iPad. In fact, the entire forum is a nightmare on iPad recently.

Anyway, I saw this when it first came out. Loved it then. Love it now. Great work, robandmundt

Back