Funeral In Berlin.

Tommy48

Just watched the 2nd Michael Caine movie playing Harry Palmer & most of it is set in East Berlin behind the Iron Curtain circa 1966/67. This got me thinking what it must have been like when we toured Russia in 1962 which was at the height of the Cold War. Why were we picked? What was the atmosphere like for the players? Did they feel they were being watched? Etc. etc.

I have (some years ago) seen some lovely colour footage of Rangers on that Russian tour. We were wearing all red socks.

Can anyone point me to a link where I could watch it again?

Just watched the 2nd Michael Caine movie playing Harry Palmer & most of it is set in East Berlin behind the Iron Curtain circa 1966/67. This got me thinking what it must have been like when we toured Russia in 1962 which was at the height of the Cold War. Why were we picked? What was the atmosphere like for the players? Did they feel they were being watched? Etc. etc.
KGB following the Rangers about.

As a wee boy, I was 1 of the 10,000 on the tarmac when we welcomed the team back from Russia at Abbotsinch airport. How we were allowed onto the tarmac as the plane taxied to a stop defies belief, but that’s what happened. And wee wullie smoking his cigar whilst sitting by the window on the team bus. Great memories.

Not a lot of people know that

I always though we wers asked by the Foreign Office to go because we are Scottish and that was more acceptable to the Russians than an English club. All about the politics of the time.

As a wee boy, I was 1 of the 10,000 on the tarmac when we welcomed the team back from Russia at Abbotsinch airport. How we were allowed onto the tarmac as the plane taxied to a stop defies belief, but that’s what happened. And wee wullie smoking his cigar whilst sitting by the window on the team bus. Great memories.

Stanley, did you march along behind the accordian band that led us out, halcyon days to be a Bluenose indeed.

I always though we wers asked by the Foreign Office to go because we are Scottish and that was more acceptable to the Russians than an English club. All about the politics of the time.

Tottenham Hotspur had been there on tour also around 1960 and i think the Berlin wall was built shortly after that. I remember standing at our primary school assembly as the Headmaster offered a prayer for peace as it was the day when the Russians were told to get the missiles out of Cuba.

Last edited:
Back