Funeral of a hero

The DazzleGer

William Dunsmore served in the Royal Artillery and armed forces charity S.S.A.F.A has launched a heart breaking appeal for people to attend his funeral as they fear it may only be attended by a couple of council officials as William had no remaining relatives.
It is to be held at Craigton Crematorium on Thursday June 13th at 10.30 a.m.
Lets make sure his last walk isnt alone .
R.i p hero

Last edited:
We done a similar thing for an old serviceman down south. He had no remaining family and we had over 100 ex soldiers from my regiment and others turn up. Let’s give these heroes the send off they deserve.
I would love to be there but can’t. Anyone that can be there please make the effort as it could be you one day.
Well done DazzleGer.

William Dunsmore served in the Royal Artillery and armed forces charity S.S.A.F.A has launched a heart breaking appeal for people to attend his funeral as they fear it may only be attended by a couple of council officials as William had no remaining relatives.
R.i p hero
I'm off that day, as long as nothing last minute crops up I'll be there.

R.i p hero
Can you make sure you let us know how it goes pal ;)

We done a similar thing for an old serviceman down south. He had no remaining family and we had over 100 ex soldiers from my regiment and others turn up. Let’s give these heroes the send off they deserve.
I would love to be there but can’t. Anyone that can be there please make the effort as it could be you one day.
Well done DazzleGer.
I was at this service;(so many people there it was impossible to get in to the crematorium).
This brave man will undoubtedly not be alone on his final journey. RIP Sir.

Getting some coverage in the Times which may help

An armed forces charity has called for volunteers to attend the funeral of a military veteran who has no family.

SSAFA Glasgow said they were notified of the funeral of William Dunsmore who served in the Royal Artillery from 1956 to 1960.

The tri-service military charity said Mr Dunsmore has no family and the only people expected to attend his funeral is a social worker and housing officer.

Members from the West Lothian Royal Artillery Association (RAA) have since come forward to say they will be attending and have put the call out to other RAA branches to honour Mr Dunsmore.
Dougie Crabbe, from the West Lothian branch, said he will be parading the RAA flag to pay respects to his fellow Artillery man.
Speaking to The Evening Times, Mr Crabbe said: "We have a saying in the Royal Artillery: Once A Gunner, Always A Gunner.
"We couldn't stand back a see a fellow Gunner being buried alone."

Posting to their Facebook page the charity said: "If anyone is available to attend from the Forces Community it would be much appreciated. SSAFA volunteers will be in attendance."
The funeral will take place on Thursday June 13 at 10.30am, Craigton Crematorium, Cardonald.
The news comes after Glaswegian D-Day hero, Gerald 'Gerry' Fisher, 94, was laid to rest on the anniversary of the allied invasion.
As The Evening Times reported last week, Mr Fisher's family took to social media to urge the public to come together at his funeral.
A crowd of more than 100 people turned up to St Alphonsus Church on London Road, right beside the legendary Barras market for his funeral.

Well done to the bears going along and thanks guys. I am leaving for holidays in a couple of hours or would have been along without doubt.

I am going to try am make this.

Can anyone tell me how to get into the crematorium. I had a look on google maps etc and doesnt look like a clear way in.

I know the street view pics might old but lools like thet were building houses and the wee roads all blocked off.

I am going to try am make this.

Can anyone tell me how to get into the crematorium. I had a look on google maps etc and doesnt look like a clear way in.

I know the street view pics might old but lools like thet were building houses and the wee roads all blocked off.

Access by car is from the Berryknowes Rd.

The crematorium is next door to Cardonald railway station. Trains (Gourock/Wemyss Bay) leave Glasgow Central 6mins and 36mins past the hour. Journey takes 7 mins. The trains from Gourock/Wemyss Bay depart Paisley Gilmour St at 13 and 43 minutes past and take 8 mins.

Easily accessed by bus. The numbers 3, 34 for First Bus and the McGills 17 will get you on the doorstep.

Feel free to PM me if I can help with anymore details.

Wee bump ahead of tomorrow.

I’m going. But won’t be suited and booted.

Moving house and most of my clothes are in boxes and are at the new place in a shed. No judgement pls :)
Aw if I was there I’d say ffs why haven’t you made an effort ;) Can you let me know how it goes pal. I don’t know if you’ve seen my previous post but we done the same down south for a certain member of our regiment.
Well done for going pal. Respect.

Aw if I was there I’d say ffs why haven’t you made an effort ;) Can you let me know how it goes pal. I don’t know if you’ve seen my previous post but we done the same down south for a certain member of our regiment.
Well done for going pal. Respect.
Yeah. Will do.

No, better entering off Berryknowes if going by car.

Unless it has been reopened since the last tims game at Ibrox the Berryknowes Rd entrance has been closed for over a year now unless on foot. The entrance off Paisley Road West has been the only way in for cars during that time.

God Bless You Mr William Dunsmore.

Can anyone in attendance give an update from todays service. Thank You.

Latest posts

Back