Funeral of Fernando

dublinbluenose

Just read on Facebook more details about Fernando’s funeral on wed.
Cortège will arrive at Ibrox and fans are asked to gather to pay their respects.cortege will proceed via the m8,north street,charing cross and woodlands road for service at Wellington church at 2pm.
Doesn’t give time for Ibrox but I’d imagine it’ll be around one.

Last edited:
Off work Monday Tuesday would love to extend it to Wednesday but won’t be able to. I will raise a glass to Fernando on Wednesday night though.

Just managed to get a decent price day return up from London to pay my respects . I met Fernando on a number of occasions , organising a dinner for him in London 2015, then meeting him in Scotland and Northern Ireland at events Stan organised. MND has also been in my family and with a close friend . Want to show my respects to Fernando who fought it until the very end

Just managed to get a decent price day return up from London to pay my respects . I met Fernando on a number of occasions , organising a dinner for him in London 2015, then meeting him in Scotland and Northern Ireland at events Stan organised. MND has also been in my family and with a close friend . Want to show my respects to Fernando who fought it until the very end
Great effort mate. Not working at the minute so will sadly be stuck in Croydon but will be thinking of Fernando in Wednesday.

I don't think the actual funeral is open to the general public, I'm sure it's a family service.

Pay your respects at Ibrox and allow the family some privacy was the message I heard.

According to stan’s Facebook post, the service is open to all and the cremation is private.

I’ll be at Ibrox but would maybe consider church as well

I live in Newcastle and I'm supposed to be working Wednesday but I'm going to do everything I can to be at Ibrox. Loved Fernando as a footballer but also admired his bravery and the way he faced this awful illness right up until the end. What an inspiration he was.

RIP Fernando

Thinking of doing the same mate. Just thinking it over now.

Early train out of Euston gets into Glasgow about 10:30. Think I can do the day return for about £100. I feel I want to be there. Stretched for holiday, so would probably throw a sickie at work.

Thinking of doing the same mate. Just thinking it over now.

Early train out of Euston gets into Glasgow about 10:30. Think I can do the day return for about £100. I feel I want to be there. Stretched for holiday, so would probably throw a sickie at work.
Sent you a pm

I went to Davie Cooper's funeral and it affected me greatly. Like most of you I have witnessed the passing of many Rangers Greats over my 60 plus years, but when they are taken so young and in such tragic circumstances, as in Fernando's case, then it is all the more heartbreaking.
I doubt I'll be alone in shedding a few tears on Wednesday as I stand with you all in the shadow of Ibrox Stadium.

I went to Davie Cooper's funeral and it affected me greatly. Like most of you I have witnessed the passing of many Rangers Greats over my 60 plus years, but when they are taken so young and in such tragic circumstances, as in Fernando's case, then it is all the more heartbreaking.
I doubt I'll be alone in shedding a few tears on Wednesday as I stand with you all in the shadow of Ibrox Stadium.

You won't be mate.

I still remember the day Davie Cooper died. Was in 6th Year at School and was heading from Kirky High to Cumbernauld College for a course that afternoon. Anyone who knows the road will know it takes you past Broadwood. Scary to think I went past it in the mini bus an hour or so before Coop collapsed and subsequently passed away.

Last week's passing of Fernando as expected as it was is still utterly heartbreaking at no age at all. He was only 3 years older than me.

I'll head down. My heart is with his wife his young family.

The story today about his young daughter sending him one last message last week to say she had won a game of bowling and she said she was a winner like him, It broke my heart.

His wife said it was the last time he heard his daughters voice and passed a day or so later

Tears come to us all and the idea that men shouldn't cry or should feel bad about the action is foolish, and a bit of a 19thC~ invention. We should weep openly for our fallen captain.

(Not that you are saying anything against this, but there has been a lot of 'I'm not gay but I cried', 'I am a man but...' talk this last week, which is understandable).

There was a good interview with Richard Dawkins (who's a bit of a rocket at times) this last week where he spoke about writing his new autobiography and the editor asked him to take out all of the weeping. Dawkins said he found it odd as he was just writing about what actually happened.

Last edited:
Back