Game management was terrible

Let's face it, the team can't win. Comfortable win on thursday, brondby are pish, should have scored 4 or 5. Away win today after being behind, not good enough.

When did this attitude of going to away games and expecting to win by a few become the norm. Even with world class players in our team it was rarely done and tbh, I was just happy to win any away game, be it by 1 goal or 3.

Last edited:
Bin these crap threads ffs;

Its the fxcking subway loyal having to watch the whole game having their wee shout out.
If they scored from the corner you wouldn’t be saying that it happened a few seasons back and everyone said we should have played the ball into the corner flag .

We literally changed our shape after St Mirrens initial period of dominance and quickly responded with two goals and won the game. Game management was excellent.

Exactly this. Yes the last 5 mins could have been more comfortable but its a minor gripe when we changed system which changed the game & managed the 2nd half excellently bar the finish

Feels like almost every game we take attacking players off and put more defensive ones on to try to hold on to what we have.

Would be no need if we stopped wasting so many chances.

Last weekend against Hearts i kinda felt it was coming never felt like that today.

Suppose it can depend on how you view it last week was at the game this week was on couch.

End day got the win and both strikers scored.

Now lets pump the sheep weds
Same for me M8 last week felt their goal coming. This week when they scored( great strike BTW) my daughter was like "no again" and I said relax better being dodgy first 15 min rather than last 10 but turned out OK in the end

Last season we take it into the corner at 85 mins and kill the game totally.

This season, we're crossing into the box and hitting direct freekicks, giving the opposition possession back and putting ourselves under pressure.

Is the crowds being back causing us to lose the head during these moments?

Discussing how we should be closing out a game much better than we did makes you a crackpot, don’t you debate the game afterwards regardless of the results most sensible supporters do, can’t see why you bothered getting involved in this thread.
You Steven Gerrard or Michael Beale? Game was closed out and won!

Especially in the injury time they where down to 10 men and we continually gave away possession,the direct free kick 2 mins to still resulted in the having a last ditch corner when it should never have happened, delighted by the 3pts but it was nerve wracking when it needn’t have been rant over.
Take a day off ffs

We literally changed our shape after St Mirrens initial period of dominance and quickly responded with two goals and won the game. Game management was excellent.
It was until half time then we seemed to come out with a different mindset second half ! If we had started the 2nd half the way we finished the 1st we would have been out of sight but we seemed to sit back a bit, thankfully they never created anything but the last minute corner was a bit nervy after last week, although i feel a bit more confident with McLaughlin in goals at corners.

We were shocking in the 2nd half. Again the attitude was %^*& it let's do the bare minimum to get through the game. Davis only contribution was to always give then the ball the whole game.

Feels like almost every game we take attacking players off and put more defensive ones on to try to hold on to what we have.

Would be no need if we stopped wasting so many chances.
To be fair this isn’t a new thing.

Last season we were immense but won loads of games 1-0 when we dominated and could/should have scored more.

The difference this season is at the back, we are conceding more now and usually need at least 2 goals to win any game. Which we mostly are doing.

We won game so game management was ok imo
What about last week?
You happy scrapping for 1 goal wins?
Same tactics employed with 15 minutes to go last week too.
We got away with it this week. Taking attackers off for defensive players and trying to scrape 1 goal victories against hearts and st mirren.
If we carry on in this mode we will need a lot of luck to win the league.
Game management has generally been poor since Gerrard arrived.

Could do without the cheap last minute corners we conceded. A free-kick that deflected out for a corner then saw us surrender possession and immediately handed St. Mirren possession.

Last week we should have smashed Hearts and McGregor has to deal with the simple cross - McLaughlin’s commanding and handling today was spot on.

Today Goldson should have found the net with one of the three headers and Sakala should be nodding in the 3rd.

Failure to take chances, sitting too deep and getting a hold of the ball in midfield puts pressure on your back line, especially late on when the opposition are chasing a goal.

No escaping the fact that over the years we have failed to see out some games we should have won as a direct result of poor game management. I don't know if we ever practice 'time wasting' in training but it might be worthwhile doing so.

Especially in the injury time they where down to 10 men and we continually gave away possession,the direct free kick 2 mins to still resulted in the having a last ditch corner when it should never have happened, delighted by the 3pts but it was nerve wracking when it needn’t have been rant over.
Honestly.

No escaping the fact that over the years we have failed to see out some games we should have won as a direct result of poor game management. I don't know if we ever practice 'time wasting' in training but it might be worthwhile doing so.
we didnt lose a game season

We seem to play the last 10 minutes defending the one goal lead instead of killing the game off it cost us against Hearts last week and 2 points lost. You would think the management team would have learned their lesson not to defend a one goal lead.
We did defend a one goal lead.

What about last week?
You happy scrapping for 1 goal wins?
Same tactics employed with 15 minutes to go last week too.
We got away with it this week. Taking attackers off for defensive players and trying to scrape 1 goal victories against hearts and st mirren.
If we carry on in this mode we will need a lot of luck to win the league.
Game management has generally been poor since Gerrard arrived.

I would be happy scrapping one goal wins all season if it means winning league.

I have said loads times its been a bug bear of mine the amount of late goals we have lost under Gerrard thats cost us points.

But today we got over line and job done so dont see point slating manager for it.

I felt comfortable last 15 today and usually wouldn't be, games gone now onto weds and try build some momentum and go on a proper run of 8/9 wins etc

I would be happy scrapping one goal wins all season if it means winning league.

I have said loads times its been a bug bear of mine the amount of late goals we have lost under Gerrard thats cost us points.

But today we got over line and job done so dont see point slating manager for it.

I felt comfortable last 15 today and usually wouldn't be, games gone now onto weds and try build some momentum and go on a proper run of 8/9 wins etc
I admire your optimism.
All that is lovely if it happens but as I said we will need a lot of luck for it to happen, we are not good enough to employ this pish all season and win the league.

Agreed mate.

I was raging when we conceded chance after chance after chance before they equalised. Truly terrible game management.

Or we saw it out comfortably in the last five minutes, I can’t remember which.

But hey, you’ve started a thread about it so it must’ve been truly dreadful. Another two points dropped. FFS.

So was it ok last week then?

No because we never won.
I admire your optimism.
All that is lovely if it happens but as I said we will need a lot of luck for it to happen, we are not good enough to employ this pish all season and win the league.

We have been in a bit of a rut this season so far but after last weekend we have now won 2 difficult games on paper.

Hopefully that a base to build on and go on a proper run we know the sqaud is capable up to them to show us.

How's he a crackpot?
This coming from someone who called somebody Tefal head yesterday for no reason with the worst spelling I've ever seen.
Crackpot.
How’s he no?
It was teefal napper actually! Stay off the monkey dust kid and stop getting involved with stuff that’s got nothing to do with you!
Dafty

Was it? I thought we held out and won the match aswell, silly me.

Agreed mate.

I was raging when we conceded chance after chance after chance before they equalised. Truly terrible game management.

Or we saw it out comfortably in the last five minutes, I can’t remember which.

But hey, you’ve started a thread about it so it must’ve been truly dreadful. Another two points dropped. FFS.
Is this a riddle.

We had loads of people on here who thought winning by a goal in the third division meant it was outrageous that anyone dare comment on how we could improve. So lots of the replies on this one are unsurprising.

Our performances are not good and how we finish games isn't either. Sloppy and inviting needless pressure. And it has cost us points. Even though it didn't today.

Last season we take it into the corner at 85 mins and kill the game totally.

This season, we're crossing into the box and hitting direct freekicks, giving the opposition possession back and putting ourselves under pressure.

Is the crowds being back causing us to lose the head during these moments?
This in spades how many times did we have the ball in the opposition corner with 5 mins to go

we didnt lose a game season

We lost very late goals to Benfica in both Europa League games against them We lost a last gasp goal to St Mirren that ultimately cost us the League Cup and we also lost a goal in added on time against St Johnstone that imo cost us the Scottish Cup. That's four from last season to start with!

We had loads of people on here who thought winning by a goal in the third division meant it was outrageous that anyone dare comment on how we could improve. So lots of the replies on this one are unsurprising.

Our performances are not good and how we finish games isn't either. Sloppy and inviting needless pressure. And it has cost us points. Even though it didn't today.
Cheers mate that’s the only point I was making.

Totally agree. You'd have thought it was Rangers down to ten men.

I don’t think game management was as bad as some weeks to be fair, but I was surprised we made the Patterson change when the St Mirren player was injured. Would have thought we would have used that to kill the game a bit as we knew there would be so much stoppage time.

We lost very late goals to Benfica in both Europa League games against them We lost a last gasp goal to St Mirren that ultimately cost us the League Cup and we also lost a goal in added on time against St Johnstone that imo cost us the Scottish Cup. That's four from last season to start with!
Lost a terrible one at Hamilton as well.

We seem to play the last 10 minutes defending the one goal lead instead of killing the game off it cost us against Hearts last week and 2 points lost. You would think the management team would have learned their lesson not to defend a one goal lead.
We did defend a one goal lead.
If they scored from the corner you wouldn’t be saying that it happened a few seasons back and everyone said we should have played the ball into the corner flag .
They didnt score.

Back