Game management was terrible

We do it quite often, even at home, and sometimes with as much as 20 minutes to go.

Problem is, we are not that good at it, and it often leads to heart in mouth moments.

Let's face it, the team can't win. Comfortable win on thursday, brondby are pish, should have scored 4 or 5. Away win today after being behind, not good enough.

When did this attitude of going to away games and expecting to win by a few become the norm. Even with world class players in our team it was rarely done and tbh, I was just happy to win an away game, be it by 1 goal or 3.
Birthday card pish. We’ve been absolutely brutal this season compared to the last. It’s like two totally different teams.

Birthday card pish. We’ve been absolutely brutal this season compared to the last. It’s like two totally different teams.
Take it you didnt enjoy the win then. Maybe when you realise we're not and never have been some super club up there with the bayern munichs or real Madrids, then you'll come back down to earth.

We're a big fish in a very small pond, who have one European trophy to our name.

Last season was not the norm btw, very rarely do teams go through a whole season unbeaten. So count yourself lucky, you might never witness it again.

Take it you didnt enjoy the win then. Maybe when you realise we're not and never have been some super club up there with the bayern munichs or real Madrids, then you'll come back down to earth.

We're a big fish in a very small pond, who have one European trophy to our name.

Last season was not the norm btw, very rarely do teams go through a whole season unbeaten. So count yourself lucky, you might never witness it again.
I can only really refer to my previous post.

We aren’t the same team this season at all. We’ve stopped playing with any real intensity, there’s no constant pressing, we aren’t attacking with any fluidity and we generally just look now like a mediocre Rangers side.

Last season we looked like a decent EPL level team and this season we’re more like an average championship team.

I can only really refer to my previous post.

We aren’t the same team this season at all. We’ve stopped playing with any real intensity, there’s no constant pressing, we aren’t attacking with any fluidity and we generally just look now like a mediocre Rangers side.

Last season we looked like a decent EPL level team and this season we’re more like an average championship team.
Last season we didnt look like a decent epl team. Slavia Prague, were easily brushed aside by arsenal, who were hardly setting the heather on fire down there.

I read this patter on here about bring on man utd or arsenal. Both would have dealt with us.

That league is way above anything we play.

It is and I'm uncertain whether Gérard tells them to see the game out or its the players but I thought the last 10 mns we had ten men and they had 11 the way we were hanging on. It seems to be that way in most of our games now.

Gerrard said we tried to get a third goal but when he felt it wasnt coming he decided to "shut up shop".

I felt like we were hanging on at the end against 10 men. Couldnt believe how deep we played today at times. Everything is so slow and methodical. And dont start me on the long throw ins up the line.
The one that gets me is the short pass out from a goal kick. I can just about understand it brings opposition further up the park to press. It's just so slow, laboured and invariably ends up back right where we started 30 seconds later with our defence being pressed. No variation, no plan just same shit time after time after time. When the opposition is right on top of the defence both McGregor and McLaughlin take forever to try and see if they can still do it and when it's clear they can't the opposition have had time to get set up for the long kick out.

The long throw is the product of no one, and I mean no one, making movement to get a bit of space for the throw in. We are supposed to have a fantastic coaching staff but right now it's the same turgid shite week after week with no variation. They need to come up with some answers or risk losing this league.

Game management this season has been poor, today wasn't good either was Motherwell or Hearts games. Hopefully it will improve when we get our full squad back

Have to agree with the op Lundstrom had one where he just kicked it out of play and gave the ball back and put us under pressure and the same from a corner we had and still mad a mess of it

Apart from there goal never had a shot to save. Thought we controlled the game in the second half . They never looked like scoring.

people have such differing views on our club.

1). Some are happy to win regardless of how we play.

2). Some would rather we played more attractive while winning.

Personally, I think the football we have seen from Rangers this season has been boring, predictable and frankly quite a difficult watch. Everyone has a different opinion though. Yesterdays game was woeful to watch. Absolute dirge from first minute until last.

Jumping on other posters just because you disagree with their opinion also isn't staunch, respect that everyone has different views.

We should be able to play a high pressing game against teams like St.Mirren but for some reason we dont. Look at Liverpool yesterday ( i know we are not Liverpool !) the way they pressed Man U and won the ball high up the park then scored or created chances was brilliant but we just seemed to retreat into our shell second half even against 10 men.

If we keep picking the proper formation which we changed to (4-4-2) or use it from the start and ditch the 4-3-3 snail, im confident we will hit some form at last and get back to playing nice football.

Yesterday was all about winning. St M psychos, poor pitch, dishonest ref.... the game management was pretty good but playing that way and holding on is always a gamble it only takes one error or some bad luck and 2 points are dropped. We cant be doing it every week.

I would have to agree with anyone that says playing crap football with poor tactics all season will probably see us losing the league to the filth. Its really all about the coaching staff now we have gifted enough points playing round in circles treating these teams like Bayern and missed out on CL football/ the cash involved, we need to hit some form start putting a few past spfl sides so we can relax last 20.

4-4-2 or 4-2-2-2 if you prefer, on a much better pitch we should get some goals v Aberdeen.

We aren’t scoring enough goals , and until we start , games will have nervy finishes every single week.

Ten league matches , only 15 goals an average of just 1.5 per game and 7 of those 15 goals came in two matches . So in the other 8 matches we are averaging ONE goal per game , I cannot recall any Rangers team scoring so few goals .

For comparison , last season we scored an average of 2.42 league goals per game. 92 goals in 38 games. Even in Gerrards other two league campaigns we averaged 2.2 goals and 2.15 goals per league game.

You can come up with as many buzzwords about game management , tactics , whatever as you like . We aren’t scoring goals.

Last edited:
We aren’t scoring enough goals , and until we start , games will have nervy finishes every single week.

Ten league matches , only 15 goals an average of just 1.5 per game and 7 of those 15 goals came in two matches . So in the other 8 matches we are averaging ONE goal per game , I cannot recall any Rangers team scoring so few goals .
Yes, we miss too many chances we are making enough goal-scoring opportunities but our finishing is poor overall.
It makes the last ten minutes of games a real nervous watch.

If we’d conceded after not taking the free kick in to the corner I think I’d be buying a new tv today.

We should be able to play a high pressing game against teams like St.Mirren but for some reason we dont. Look at Liverpool yesterday ( i know we are not Liverpool !) the way they pressed Man U and won the ball high up the park then scored or created chances was brilliant but we just seemed to retreat into our shell second half even against 10 men.
We’re told that we no longer do the high press and are instead employing a medium press this season.

It’s also been said that this is to conserve energy both in terms of matches themselves and to ensure we have more in the tank throughout the season.

If this is true, it’s been a pretty tough watch so far, but the promise must surely be that we’ll increasingly improve and reap the rewards as the season progresses.

Otherwise, what’s the point?

We’re told that we no longer do the high press and are instead employing a medium press this season.

It’s also been said that this is to conserve energy both in terms of matches themselves and to ensure we have more in the tank throughout the season.

If this is true, it’s been a pretty tough watch so far, but the promise must surely be that we’ll increasingly improve and reap the rewards as the season progresses.

Otherwise, what’s the point?
Yeah lets hope things steadily improve.

Groundhog day with them having 2 corners at the end of the match from which they could have secured an undeserved draw.

We need to take more risks when we have a single goal lead. We are a team that plays with aggression when we need a goal, but we retreat too quickly to be solid, surrendering our possession based control and our attacking threat.

I don't understand it, when we play with aggression, teams in Scotland can't get 40 yards out from their goal, but we'd seemingly rather defend the box and invite them on. It cost us vs. Hearts, could have cost us yesterday and if we keep doing it, it will cost us again.

100% on the money mate. Last season will never be repeated.

people have such differing views on our club.

1). Some are happy to win regardless of how we play.

2). Some would rather we played more attractive while winning.

Personally, I think the football we have seen from Rangers this season has been boring, predictable and frankly quite a difficult watch. Everyone has a different opinion though. Yesterdays game was woeful to watch. Absolute dirge from first minute until last.

Jumping on other posters just because you disagree with their opinion also isn't staunch, respect that everyone has different views.

I would agree, we have been hard to watch this season, we lack a spark / pace in the final 3rd (hopefully that returns with Kents return to fitness and hopefully top form follows)

we are very slow and fairly easy to work out how we will set up and play and if things are not going well we regularly revert to type and get Tav and Borna to launch balls into the box.

Yesterday for the first 20/25 mins we looked like we were still on the team bus - St Mirren to there credit got the ball down and played some nice stuff and had us chasing shadows - we then came back into it and looked fairly comfortable - i didn't really think St Mirren were going to score another goal.

We weren’t lucky to win

Outrageous post
I agree we deserved to win , but I think many people are pointing out that if we don’t start scoring goals , we are inevitably going to toss away more points against teams we have bossed . We are scraping games , 1-0 in Dundee, 2-1 v Hibs 10 men, 2-1 at Perth , and we’ve thrown crucial needless points away at Ibrox with two 1-1 draws in games we totally dominated because we aren’t scoring enough.

After 10 league games it’s not just a blip or a dip , it’s an ongoing concern and I’d say a fair one

I thought it was ok. Subs better than usual and definitely better than last weekend.

I hate how many long balls we play now though.
We have to play long more often now as teams set up to stop our passing game I hate it too, but if a team has 5 in the middle it's very hard to play through them..

I agree we deserved to win , but I think many people are pointing out that if we don’t start scoring goals , we are inevitably going to toss away more points against teams we have bossed . We are scraping games , 1-0 in Dundee, 2-1 v Hibs 10 men, 2-1 at Perth , and we’ve thrown crucial needless points away at Ibrox with two 1-1 draws in games we totally dominated because we aren’t scoring enough.

After 10 league games it’s not just a blip or a dip , it’s an ongoing concern and I’d say a fair one

We dont put games to bed (could argue yesterday we didnt really have many really good chances - sakala's header about the only one)

but look at the Hearts / Motherwell games- we had well over 20 shots on goal in both games - and chances to kill the game and numerous what you would call sitters - failing to kill the game cost us the points on both occasions.

We haven't managed the closing minutes of a game well for really quite a while now
& after watching yesterday's game - I'd argue we're getting worse at it

We can play keep ball, sideways pass, tip-tap football often enough - when we should be going forward - during a game - why we loose that ability in the last 10 minutes or so - is beyond my comprehension

I really don't want to see another goalkeeper running the length of the pitch to line up for an injury time corner again this season - it's playing havoc with my blood pressure

We won which is all that matters but I agree with the OP. I was fuming and can only think of what the outcry on here would be if we'd conceded.

Bornas free kick should've been slid to Patterson to take in to corner for a throw in or a corner. Waste another 30 seconds then retain ball in corner.

We had been good at seeing games out but that seems to have gone to rat this season.

We dont put games to bed (could argue yesterday we didnt really have many really good chances - sakala's header about the only one)

but look at the Hearts / Motherwell games- we had well over 20 shots on goal in both games - and chances to kill the game and numerous what you would call sitters - failing to kill the game cost us the points on both occasions.
That’s right. We aren’t scoring anywhere near enough goals.

That’s right. We aren’t scoring anywhere near enough goals.

Correct - the numbers from the front players this season is disappointing (league games below)

Wright - games played 6 - 1 goal no assists
Morelos - games played 9 - 3 goals 2 assists
Roofe - games played 9 - 4 goals 0 assists
Kent - games played 5 - 0 goals 1 assist
Sakala - games played 6 -1 goal 0 assists
Hagi - games played 6 - 1 goal 0 assists
Aribo - games played 10 - 2 goals - 1 assist

those are the stats of our 7 forward thinking players - granted stats don't tell the full picture - but that's where the vast majority of our goals are likely to come from over a season and right now they are not enough.

Davis / Kamara / Lundstram / Jack etc all good players but unlikely to chip in with a lot of goals (id be surprised if any of them get more than 5 league goals) Tav will score some but it wont be on the same level as last year as that was exceptional for a full back.

its easy to see where in lies our problem at the moment.

We haven't managed the closing minutes of a game well for really quite a while now
& after watching yesterday's game - I'd argue we're getting worse at it

We can play keep ball, sideways pass, tip-tap football often enough - when we should be going forward - during a game - why we loose that ability in the last 10 minutes or so - is beyond my comprehension

I really don't want to see another goalkeeper running the length of the pitch to line up for an injury time corner again this season - it's playing havoc with my blood pressure

We drop too deep. There’s no passes to play as we’ve invited the opposition onto us so we start booting it long, and nobody holds it up. It’s a problem.

I can’t understand why we seem to have a ploy of go one ahead then invite wave after wave of attack.

That's the thing with liverpool though, 2 seasons ago they were unstoppable, last season they were hardly recognisable, now they're back on their game again.

I do agree that we need freshened up, but we're simply not in the position to do so. Players will have to be sold and then with the market we're in, there's no guarantee that the replacements will work out.

I though too many were jumping the gun thinking we would dominate for years. Celtic were never going to sit back and accept that and to be honest, the only reason they were going for 10 in a row, was because we were out the league and they had no competition whatsoever.

Quick glance, ay have miscounted

~11 games won by a single goal last year
Almost 1/3 of games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Rangers_F.C._season#Scottish_Premiership

Back