Games suspended due to thunderstorms

tottie beck

Just watching the TFC V Montreal game and they’ve suspended play because of thunderstorms in the area. I think this is the third MLS game I’ve watched this week that this has happened. They basically take the players off the field for half an hour to see if it passes. They’ll do it as long as they have to, unless it gets too late and they’ll postpone the game completely and pick up where they left off the next day (if possible). It happens quite frequently over here in the MLS but generally in the southern US, not Montreal.

Can anyone remember a game in Scotland being delayed like this. I’m pretty sure they’ll either call the game off in advance or suspend play for good (usually because of torrential rain) I can’t recall a game being stopped temporarily like this in Scotland then starting again, 30 minutes or an hour later if the weather passes

Pretty sure a game against Dundee Hivs got abandoned at half time at their midden about 10 years ago due to torrential rain.

This happened in Northern Ireland v Ukraine at Euro 2016. Think it was just after or before McAuley scored. Only lasted a few minutes though I'm sure.

Kilmarnock vs Hibs last season was temporarily suspended for about 15-20 minutes due to a power cut, not weather related though.

The local newscasts in the US are dominated by mostly inaccurate weather forecasts. They are obsessed by telling you whats going to happen next weekend but they can’t figure out why they screwed up this weekend.
That said MLB is pretty much spot on in pulling out the tarps and getting fans into the concourses. The weather in the US Midwest is volatile in summer and winter and I guess the weather in Scotland not so much so ....

Wasn't it heavy snow?
No it was because of heavy rain the game should have been called off and we were 2 0 up I am sure and they abandoned the game at half time after Ally came on at half time and put the ball down and kicked it and it stopped almost straight away in the puddles.

Showed up at Ibrox on a 80’s Sunday I think for a game against them that had been cancelled. We’d Deacon Blue on instead of the BBC
I think that game was against the sheep and it was called off just before kick off again because of heavy rain.

Last November I was at a Crew game in Columbus. It was cold but not cold enough to snow. There was a 2 hour delay because of the storm. There is not a great place to stay dry. I was drunk from the tail gate but sobering up socking wet freezing cold makes for a hell of a hangover. Do not recommend.

Torrential rain stopped a game at Ibrox v Hearts during the spivs reign. In fact it was the night of the protest outside.

This happened in Northern Ireland v Ukraine at Euro 2016. Think it was just after or before McAuley scored. Only lasted a few minutes though I'm sure.

Kilmarnock vs Hibs last season was temporarily suspended for about 15-20 minutes due to a power cut, not weather related though.

I was at that game, I thought it was hailstones they were taken off for? The things were huge! Same principle like, so I’m nitpicking!

Just watching the TFC V Montreal game and they’ve suspended play because of thunderstorms in the area. I think this is the third MLS game I’ve watched this week that this has happened. They basically take the players off the field for half an hour to see if it passes. They’ll do it as long as they have to, unless it gets too late and they’ll postpone the game completely and pick up where they left off the next day (if possible). It happens quite frequently over here in the MLS but generally in the southern US, not Montreal.

Can anyone remember a game in Scotland being delayed like this. I’m pretty sure they’ll either call the game off in advance or suspend play for good (usually because of torrential rain) I can’t recall a game being stopped temporarily like this in Scotland then starting again, 30 minutes or an hour later if the weather passes
Ridiculous misleading title. Also, football match played on a pitch. Not game or park.

T
Torrential rain stopped a game at Ibrox v Hearts during the spivs reign. In fact it was the night of the protest outside.
That was snow mate
Still got a picture somewhere of me in a Russian hat while a lady's front bottom on a horse waded through the crowd at full speed

T

That was snow mate
Still got a picture somewhere of me in a Russian hat while a lady's front bottom on a horse waded through the crowd at full speed
How could I forget it was snow. We arrived at Ibrox just as the game was abandoned, the roads were treacherous.

People die from being struck by lightning every year on golf courses. I presumed that is what the OP was referring to. I can not recollect any match in UK being postponed/abandoned for that reason

Happened to my lads team here in Sweden a few times. Trust me, if a thunderstorm passes directly overhead, you do not want to be on the park.

I think that game was against the sheep and it was called off just before kick off again because of heavy rain.
Correct. We had just got off the subway at Ibrox when we heard so it was a quick about turn and back to the pub.

I remember going to a reserves game v Dundee in 1994 at Ibrox and it for abandoned because of fog at half time. Can’t remember a game being abandoned for that since.

We were up 1-0 at the time if I recall correctly, and I’m sure Duncan Ferguson was playing for the reserves. I was only about 8 though so I could be wrong.

Showed up at Ibrox on a 80’s Sunday I think for a game against them that had been cancelled. We’d Deacon Blue on instead of the BBC
We had one against Aberdeen called off at Ibrox in the 90s due to torrential rain. We had just got in the enclosure when the announcement came over the tannoy.

That’s nothing. A certain bunch of cheating poet scum had a game postponed 3 months due to a injuries and suspensions and a complicit cowardly football association allowed it to happen. In so doing, these cheating poet scumbags and complicit, cowardly bast@rds changes the destination of a title.

The local newscasts in the US are dominated by mostly inaccurate weather forecasts. They are obsessed by telling you whats going to happen next weekend but they can’t figure out why they screwed up this weekend.
That said MLB is pretty much spot on in pulling out the tarps and getting fans into the concourses. The weather in the US Midwest is volatile in summer and winter and I guess the weather in Scotland not so much so ....
Nah it was pissing it down all day. Probably shouldn’t have went ahead

Thunderstorms yes, but it is the lightning they are avoiding. Once you've seen a closeup strike you'll know why :) frightening power.

People die from being struck by lightning every year on golf courses. I presumed that is what the OP was referring to. I can not recollect any match in UK being postponed/abandoned for that reason
A Manchester City Champions League game was postponed due to a biblical thunder storm a couple of years ago. Pretty sure they were playing a German team.

Back