Gareth Bale: The Monkey King

Edweird

Just another example of the double standard. Nothing more. It’s actually a very odd story for them to write.

I’m not offended by it at all. I am offended by nothing, except, obviously, double standards of offence.

The BBC gleefully reporting that the Chinese think Gareth Bales looks like a Monkey. But it’s OK. It’s just a cartoon version of a Monkey God. In their classification of news it’s racist but they seem fine with it.

If our fans chose, oh let’s say a minority player from any team and compared him to an animal, BBC Scotland would be all over it and demand our arrest. Even if it was a cartoon God monkey. But when it’s the Chinese calling a Welshman a Monkey there’s no problem. It’s a hoot.

I’ve included a link but the real relevant parts are in the pictures so no need to click.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43526832

0aqrFGf.jpg

qYAEUC3.jpg

sbxdl74.jpg

Don’t think Bale will give a banana what they say about his dead ringer looks of a monkey. If your watch the show monkey he does look like one of them, faster than a speeding arrow

Remember the clamour for lynching's when one of our fine Scottish mhedia sports writers compared Sebo to a zoo animal?......nah, didn't think so!
Double standards right enough!

Hate bale and he does look like a cartoon monkey. Throbber of a guy, would still be a virgin if he wasn’t a player absolute worst lady's front bottom

He’ll be more worried about the overhead shots when they reveal he’s a “Baldy long”

"when it’s the Chinese calling a Welshman a Monkey there’s no problem"

Bale doesn't look like the monkey character due to his ethnicity or Welshness. He genuinely looks like the character. This isn't the same as saying black people look like animals, etc.

In short, not sure there's a problem with this.

We've got a Labour Party that's rampantly anti-Semitic and a Scottish government that's lining up to shit on Unionism, Loyalism and the entire Protestant faith. And that's merely the basic truth.

How do those points impact Gareth Bale looking like a chimp though?

More like the monkey from Monkey magic, a tv programme in the 80's and hugely popular in the far East and used to have a cult following here.
So I'm sure he is not offended by looking like a human character who wad symbolic with a Chinese God.

You cant be racist to a white man.....now thats a fact!

White people have white privilege, don't you know that?! :eek::D

But I agree with your point and it is getting to a serious point now, (not so much in the UK, compared with other countries) where white people seem to be the easy target with no repercussions.

White people have white privilege, don't you know that?! :eek::D

But I agree with your point and it is getting to a serious point now, (not so much in the UK, compared with other countries) where white people seem to be the easy target with no repercussions.

100% mate.

Majority of people already posting on here condoning it as he looks like a monkey are completely oblivious to the point the OP is making.

For instance. If a black man or any other ethnicity looked like a monkey regardless of his skin colour but based purely on facial appearance. Would it be deemed ok to publicly ridicule him for it? They would be branded a racist without a doubt.

100% mate.

Majority of people already posting on here condoning it as he looks like a monkey are completely oblivious to the point the OP is making.

For instance. If a black man or any other ethnicity looked like a monkey regardless of his skin colour but based purely on facial appearance. Would it be deemed ok to publicly ridicule him for it? They would be branded a racist without a doubt.

I do think Bale looks like a chimp but I am completely of the same opinion on this topic as yourself.

Reverse racism I call it, similar to reverse sectarianism, ethnic minorities can insult Caucasian people and it's fine after all the bad things we did in the past even though it happened long ago.,,
Reverse sectarianism, the vermin can say and do as they please without being held accountable because of alleged injustices against them in the past.
If we open our mouths or reply in kind, we're sectarian bigots and the jolly papesters are having a laugh.

100% mate.

It's not missing the point. It's just that the point is ridiculous and completely misses out any context or history of the use of the word.

It's because it has been used for decades/centuries(?) as a racist term to dehumanise black people and paint the whole race as thick, inferior, sub-human savages. And when they have actually been treated like that by governments, workplaces and pretty much everywhere up until not long ago, it's probably best not to say it.

Saying a white person, who looks like a monkey, looks like a monkey does not have these racist connotations so while it might hurt his feelings, it's not the same thing. It's hardly some injustice that is making all white peoples suffer, it's saying Gareth Bale looks like a monkey.
B_qca0WWEAAsyEJ.jpg:large

It's not missing the point. It's just that the point is ridiculous and completely misses out any context or history of the use of the word.

It's because it has been used for decades/centuries(?) as a racist term to dehumanise black people and paint the whole race as thick, inferior, sub-human savages. And when they have actually been treated like that by governments, workplaces and pretty much everywhere up until not long ago, it's probably best not to say it.

Saying a white person, who looks like a monkey, looks like a monkey does not have these racist connotations so while it might hurt his feelings, it's not the same thing. It's hardly some injustice that is making all white peoples suffer, it's saying Gareth Bale looks like a monkey.

Correct. Black people were called monkey because they were seen as and treated as less than human. It was a term to categorise them as on a par with the monkeys that came from Africa. Bale is being called King Monkey because he looks similar to the cartoon and the resemblance is pretty clear going by the pictures. They are not the same thing and in truth, not even close.

There’s a difference between calling someone who genuinely looks like a monkey, a monkey ( Bale) and calling someone a monkey because they’re black.

Is there a list somewhere on what is OK with what ethnicities and races and what’s totally out?

If I see an Asian playing soccer and he looks like a frog, can I say so? What if he’s French Asian?

And what if there’s a black player who looks like Gareth Bale? What are the rules there?

It’s so confusing.

The real problem isn’t the color of skin; it’s how thin it is.

Until white people start claiming discrimination against everything nothing will change.

Ethic groups and the left wing media are just taking the utter pish with there double standards.

I saw the article and my first thought was to be astonished that they were reporting he looked like a monkey. I have long thought he did but I did find it a bit bizarre to see in 'print'. Regardless of race (and I don't see this as a race thing), I would find it personally offensive if someone decided to not only say I look like a monkey, but to put it out there to millions of people.

If I said this on twitter or facebook about a certain player from across the city whos head looks like a chimp for example, I'm sure there would be some attention coming my way and, quite possibly, a visit from the police.

Asians (especially) the Chinese, have used “monkey” or “white monkey” as a derogatory and racist term, aimed at white people, for centuries. I couldn’t give two fks about the name calling, but I have a major problem with the double standards as the OP correctly pointed out.

There’s a difference between calling someone who genuinely looks like a monkey, a monkey ( Bale) and calling someone a monkey because they’re black.

So basically what your saying is if you were to walk up to Gareth bale in the street,call him a monkey hand him a banana that you hadn't insulted him or humiliated him just because you think he looks like a monkey?
Or is it because he's white he shouldn't feel he's been insulted because you compared him to an animal that's supposed to be sub human?

Last edited:
So basically what your saying is if you were to walk up to Gareth bale in the street,call him a monkey hand him a banana that you hadn't insulted him or humiliated him just because you think he looks like a monkey?
Or is it because he's white he shouldn't feel he's been insulted because you compared him to an animal that' supposed to be sub human?

It's insulting to him personally, slagging off his looks but I don't see why that would get you so wound up on behalf of white people. It doesn't have any of the other racist connotations that have been used on black people for years.

Why do you look at this and turn it into an us vs them, white people vs ethnic minority thing?

You could put him on a pole at the top of a hill and power most of Britain in those days.

im sure selik fans where calling Pedro Curious George (a monkey Cartoon character for those without young children) A'holes

It's insulting to him personally, slagging off his looks but I don't see why that would get you so wound up on behalf of white people. It doesn't have any of the other racist connotations that have been used on black people for years.

Why do you look at this and turn it into an us vs them, white people vs ethnic minority thing?
No what I'm saying is insulting someone because the way they look is surely as bad as insulting someone because of their ethnic background or religius beliefs, or is it ok to make fun of people who are severely handicapped.
Us v them, other posters mentioned people being compared to monkeys because of the colour of their skin.
So I was mearly asking the question should he because he is white not be insulted because he has been compared to a monkey,which according to other posters was derogitory abuse because it was sub human.
By the way I'm sure other people can reply which ever way they choose regardless of their ethnic background and i have no need to get or be wound up on their behalf.
Thanks for your reply and hope this clears up my comments.

No what I'm saying is insulting someone because the way they look is surely as bad as insulting someone because of their ethnic background or religius beliefs, or is it ok to make fun of people who are severely handicapped.
Us v them, other posters mentioned people being compared to monkeys because of the colour of their skin.
So I was mearly asking the question should he because he is white not be insulted because he has been compared to a monkey,which according to other posters was derogitory abuse because it was sub human.
By the way I'm sure other people can reply which ever way they choose regardless of their ethnic background and i have no need to get or be wound up on their behalf.
Thanks for your reply and hope this clears up my comments.

The Chinese have made a favourable connection based on looks alone to a well liked ‘positive’ character who is a God. Black people were called monkey because it dehumanised them, implied they were less than human and were a literal lower rung on the evolutionary ladder. There really is no comparison.

The Chinese have made a favourable connection based on looks alone to a well liked ‘positive’ character who is a God. Black people were called monkey because it dehumanised them, implied they were less than human and were a literal lower rung on the evolutionary ladder. There really is no comparison.
So if I view monkeys favorably it's ok? I like monkeys so if I said a player of a particular color was as agile as a monkey that would be OK?
I somehow think if I compared any player of a certain color to ANY animal the BBC types would take exception. I could argue the positives in my statement until I was blue in the face and there is no way on earth I'd "get away with it".
Many people on here obviously loved Monkey the TV show. So if we had a player of a certain color who looked like Monkey Magic it's ok to say " he's like Monkey Magic" because it's in a positive light?
A positive light has nothing to do with the original post. By the BBCs own standard it's a dumb, double standard article.

Yes I've seen earlier in the thread about the Chinese connection being a positive one.
But my point is should anyone never mind Gareth bale be insulted or an object of amusement because of the way he or she looks and would they be humiliated if someone because they maybe look like any animal walked up to them and said it to them.
I would imagine they would.
Surely that's abuse and demeaning in every sense.
I think we've got sort of side tracked with this debate mate and it's sort of became like a disussion on racism which
Is not the direction I hoped it would go.
For no other reason than someone who I know has been on the end of said sorts of insults and it's unpleasant and I have reacted both very vocally and physically in some cases.
Any way thanks for your reply.

Back