Gareth McAuley blasts Celtic's 'tainted and hollow' title

Surprised more hasn’t been made of that to be honest. It’s one thing to be gift wrapped a tainted title, but to having people zooming about with the trophy so some of their scum players can get photos all smiles on celebratory mood is in such bad taste it’s actually boak inducing.
They’ve never had any class, and never will, c*nts.

He is coming on talksport this morning to discuss his comments with Sinon Jordan and Jim White. Be interesting seeing it get more media attention.

Love him being diplomatic and respectful before burying them. Some more with his mentality in the team would not go amiss...

;) Cap doffed no more words on the matter needed he nailed it pity more players/media up here never grew a set as he has and told it as it is.

Great too see the truth spoken.
Well seen this comes from outside Scotland, none of the one sided biased rags would have allowed such a story.

Ah beautiful. Almost Shakespearean in its eloquence. A tragedy / comedy for them, the memory of which they will never escape from. They bask in the adoration of fools.

" Tainted & hollow. for the integrity of the league. " If only 1 of the mhedia here had the guts to use those words.

Spot on gareth,100% the truth .get ready for the mentally challenged meltdown from the mhanky mob ,mhedia.and anyone associated with these kunt's

Well said Gareth Mcauley for simply stating the obvious & telling the truth!!
Best I've heard from someone talking any sense about them 'not' winning the league!

He's spot on and deep down they know it. The history books will not judge them favourably, showing more than half the current run of titles to be devalued. When one of the horses in a two horse race is removed for a number of years and one title is awarded in indecent haste by a botched vote, it can't be any other way.

Never forget the shitebags voted to end the season early .....they knew all right there was a realistic chance we could have caught them contrary to some bears on here........

Simon Jordan continues to repeat the lies about ending the season to get the money. Also the clubs voted to award titles and relegation? No they didnt

Would hardly call it a blast.
Very constructive a well thought out piece.
Hard to disagree with all the points he makes.

Simon Jordan continues to repeat the lies about ending the season to get the money. Also the clubs voted to award titles and relegation? No they didnt
Disappointing from Jordan who is clearly not aware of all the fact and probably has very limited interest in Scottish football.

Also going with the line that Celtic were "odds-on to win the title a anyway. " That is just spectacularly missing the point.

Only thing he got right was that all football decisions being made are based on money.

Just heard it there. Is it just me or does jim white get other people roaring at the radio? Good god i would love to bitch slap him! Taking calls now this should be funny! The radio snyde crackpots will be on in force! :))

Jim White - why do we listen to this mentally challenged? I don't know the chronology (is he 62 or 63 years old) but sounds like he's the not so secret love child of Desmond White, he loves the cellik so much?

I thought Simon’s point about Rangers “having their chance” was poor. I don’t care much for Celtic so I can’t actually remember their results after Christmas, but even if we didn’t “stink the place out” (as Simon put it) we’d still be behind them in the title race because of our game in hand?

Is he suggesting that the league wouldn’t have been called if we were only a point or two behind?! Wrong. It would’ve been even MORE of a reason to call it.

What did he say mate.
Just agreeing with original post.

The Northern Irishman said: “I actually feel sorry for the Celtic players. They didn’t win the title on the pitch, they were handed it.

“They have officially been crowned champions, their ninth success in a row, but this triumph will always be tainted and hollow.

“All their hard work, dedication and gutsy performances when they grinded out results will be forgotten. In the record books there will always be an asterisk beside this season’s Championship

“I know Neil Lennon was on television saying that this title win was the greatest one under his management, but that was all for show and to wind up the Rangers fans watching at home.

“Deep down it will rankle him that his team weren’t able to secure the title on the pitch.

“Of course, it wasn’t their fault. The Covid-19 pandemic sadly intervened.

“But, as a result, history will not look too kindly on this Celtic nine-in-a-row team and that will hurt the current crop of players.

“They’ll never be revered in the same light as the great Celtic sides that won nine-in-a row between 1966 and 1974, or the Rangers teams between 1989 and 1997.

“Those players are Old Firm royalty. They won Championships after titanic and terrific battles against top sides.

“Yet, the Celtic sides of the last nine years, while successful, will be remembered for winning titles when Rangers weren’t in the league and then being handed the title.

“That must be so frustrating for players who thrive on competition. I say this as a former professional footballer and a competitor, not as a former Rangers player.

“I would feel exactly the same way if it were the blue half of Glasgow in this position.

“I certainly wouldn’t be celebrating because, as a professional sportsperson, you crave competition, the thrill of the win after a hard-fought battle and knowing you have given everything possible to beat your opponent on a level playing field.

“Scott Brown is a great player in Scottish football and I know he would love to be regarded in the same way as the nine-in-a row Celtic players of the past, but that’s not going to happen.

“He’ll be held in high esteem, but not on the same level as a Bobby Lennox or Stevie Chalmers.

“If a season cannot be finished on the pitch, then for the integrity of the league, it should be voided.”

Speaking in the Sunday Life newspaper, McAuley also took a bat to the SPFL over their treatment of Hearts and continued: “There were 24 points left to play for. I’m convinced they would have come on strong in the closing stages and avoided the trap door.

“If we take the SPFL’s logic, Leicester City would never have won the Premier League.

“A year before they were crowned champions, Leicester were bottom of the league and in serious danger of going down. But they rallied hard in the remaining weeks of the season and avoided the drop. The next year they were champions.

“But if a pandemic had struck in 2015, going by Scottish rules, Leicester would have been relegated and there would have been no Championship the following year.

“Championship success, relegation and promotion cannot be decided in a boardroom. Otherwise you are questioning sporting integrity and it is horrible.

“Hearts should not have to go to court over a football decision. It’s a shambles and really sums up Scottish football recently. The washing of dirty linen in public was particularly unedifying.

“The biggest problem I can see is that important decisions are being made by people who have never really been involved in the game from a playing point of view.”

I doubt anyone in England is aware that cash starved member clubs in Scotland were given one option, give Celtc * the title or the clubs receive no money from the SPFL. Democracy, eh ?

Disappointing from Jordan who is clearly not aware of all the fact and probably has very limited interest in Scottish football.

Also going with the line that Celtic were "odds-on to win the title a anyway. " That is just spectacularly missing the point.

Only thing he got right was that all football decisions being made are based on money.

Thought the same. There’s enough games for the situation to change, as unlikely as it could be. Anything can happen in a title run in. No one expected us to collapse in January/February the way we did. We were 5 points behind Celtic with 3 games left in 2005 and won the title. You can’t just award a title in a snapshot in time.

Without a hint of irony the next segment was them gushing over Man Utd’s great comeback in 1999 when they looked dead and buried.

What pisses me off is how we have a very legitimate argument but the Celtic view point is always given the last word. Jim White trying not to offend them.

Just agreeing with original post.

The Northern Irishman said: “I actually feel sorry for the Celtic players. They didn’t win the title on the pitch, they were handed it.

“They have officially been crowned champions, their ninth success in a row, but this triumph will always be tainted and hollow.

“All their hard work, dedication and gutsy performances when they grinded out results will be forgotten. In the record books there will always be an asterisk beside this season’s Championship

“I know Neil Lennon was on television saying that this title win was the greatest one under his management, but that was all for show and to wind up the Rangers fans watching at home.

“Deep down it will rankle him that his team weren’t able to secure the title on the pitch.

“Of course, it wasn’t their fault. The Covid-19 pandemic sadly intervened.

“But, as a result, history will not look too kindly on this Celtic nine-in-a-row team and that will hurt the current crop of players.

“They’ll never be revered in the same light as the great Celtic sides that won nine-in-a row between 1966 and 1974, or the Rangers teams between 1989 and 1997.

“Those players are Old Firm royalty. They won Championships after titanic and terrific battles against top sides.

“Yet, the Celtic sides of the last nine years, while successful, will be remembered for winning titles when Rangers weren’t in the league and then being handed the title.

“That must be so frustrating for players who thrive on competition. I say this as a former professional footballer and a competitor, not as a former Rangers player.

“I would feel exactly the same way if it were the blue half of Glasgow in this position.

“I certainly wouldn’t be celebrating because, as a professional sportsperson, you crave competition, the thrill of the win after a hard-fought battle and knowing you have given everything possible to beat your opponent on a level playing field.

“Scott Brown is a great player in Scottish football and I know he would love to be regarded in the same way as the nine-in-a row Celtic players of the past, but that’s not going to happen.

“He’ll be held in high esteem, but not on the same level as a Bobby Lennox or Stevie Chalmers.

“If a season cannot be finished on the pitch, then for the integrity of the league, it should be voided.”

Speaking in the Sunday Life newspaper, McAuley also took a bat to the SPFL over their treatment of Hearts and continued: “There were 24 points left to play for. I’m convinced they would have come on strong in the closing stages and avoided the trap door.

“If we take the SPFL’s logic, Leicester City would never have won the Premier League.

“A year before they were crowned champions, Leicester were bottom of the league and in serious danger of going down. But they rallied hard in the remaining weeks of the season and avoided the drop. The next year they were champions.

“But if a pandemic had struck in 2015, going by Scottish rules, Leicester would have been relegated and there would have been no Championship the following year.

“Championship success, relegation and promotion cannot be decided in a boardroom. Otherwise you are questioning sporting integrity and it is horrible.

“Hearts should not have to go to court over a football decision. It’s a shambles and really sums up Scottish football recently. The washing of dirty linen in public was particularly unedifying.

“The biggest problem I can see is that important decisions are being made by people who have never really been involved in the game from a playing point of view.”
Thanks for that mate.

Well in, Big G. Telling it how it is.

I can assure you that the crash barriers rate this run of trophies as highly as anything else in their history. They don't care who they beat or how they do it.

Back