Gareth McAuley released by West Brom!

At 38 Aaron Hughes still does a job in the SPFL, McAuley would be an intelligent signing for a season if his wage demands weren’t too high.

We dont need players able to ‘do a job’ bro.

Last 2 years we have had players able to ‘do a job’.

We need quality to enable us to win this league.

I still think we will sign an experienced centre back and captain, remember Goldson has hardly played much football recently and the boy Katic is still relatively inexperienced.
Don't see it being McAuley right enough.

Ideal, not only a thread about signing another centre half, it quickly descended into talking about signing a centre mid.

Gies a striker thread Ffs

I’m not stating we should sign him. Just posted it as I’ve saw the rumours on here and was asking if any truth in them

Value for money, putting it on the line, commitment to Rangers, no.nonsense defender, great in the air, no brainer exchanging him for Alves. Alves couldnt wait to go to Madrid at every oppo for Cristiano's deep throat willy kisses. Well rid

At 38 Aaron Hughes still does a job in the SPFL, McAuley would be an intelligent signing for a season if his wage demands weren’t too high.

That about sums it up for me.

Whilst we all hope that Katic, our new signing from Slaven Belupo (a team I'd never heard of), turns out to be a huge success, we don't know how he will adjust to the rough and tumble of the SPL. Therefore, having an experienced hand like McAuley available might not be a bad option.

Whilst I don’t think Alves will be here next season I think Gareth’s time has gone, I agree we need one more CH and then utilise Wilson & Finlayson for the bench and back up

Good thing you aren’t recruiting our central defenders then because if that’s an honest opinion you clearly haven’t a clue.

Serious question, based on last year and the year before, who offered more at CB Alves, Cardoso, Martin or Clint Hill?

I don't want another old CB with no pace. I stand by I would rather have kept Hill than bring in McAuley, got Russell Martin mark II written all over it.

Serious question, based on last year and the year before, who offered more at CB Alves, Cardoso, Martin or Clint Hill?

I don't want another old CB with no pace. I stand by I would rather have kept Hill than bring in McAuley, got Russell Martin mark II written all over it.

I liked Clint Hill he was decent for us, McAuley is better as reflected in the fact he has played many more games in one of the better defences in the EPL. Clint Hill is also a year older than McAuley.

Comparing him to Russell Martin is a nonsense too, he’s far better than that.

He's still got it. Great player. Very smart and scores goals too.
I'd take him if we can manage to sort out a wage

He could end up going to Villa to finish up his career, I'm sure he's probably settled in that part of the country.

Jesus Christ, if he wasn’t from the NI nobody would want him. He’s well past it and tahiulsbt even be considered. Thankfully our Manager is after better younger players.

I expect us to sign an experienced centre half. I think a lot of people are expecting too much from Katic right away, he's only 21 and inexperienced. He might need some time to settle into a massive club like ours.

Whether that's McAuley or not is another matter. Hopefully Skrtel is still on the radar and we can poach him on Alves' wage.

Yacob is the only one I'd take from wba hard as nails and can play a bit exactly what we need in the middle of the park

Back