Gareth Mcauley scouting for Gers down south

Bonnyloyal

FORMER Rangers central defender Gareth McAuley is scouting for the club.

McAuley, 40, spent most of last season at Ibrox before being released at the end of the campaign and then announcing his retirement in September.

He is pondering a move into coaching but in the meantime is helping his old club.

He said: “I'm doing a bit of scouting down south for Rangers.

“Ideally, I really wanted to throw myself into coaching but I heeded some advice from inside the game that it is not necessarily the wise thing to do.

“Anything below 23s level can end up with you being a glorified secretary which is not something that would appeal

“But I am finishing my coaching licence and it is obviously an area I want to look into.

“The last thing I want to do is commit myself something and then find out after two or three months that it's not what I want to be doing.

“I want to let anybody down like that.

“It is really important to me that when I do go in to something it gets my total focus and commitment.”

Anything below 23s level can end up with you being a glorified secretary which is not something that would appeal.

Quite an interesting comment that. Want to know what else he means by it.

Given that he played for WBA is this possibly where the Rayhaan Tulloch recommendation has come from?

Fairly scathing of the youth process then. :D

Hard to come back from that and accept a role in an Academy

Good luck to him. Though to be honest I can't see how working as a coach at any level is not productive for someone who wants to move into coaching.

Back