Gareth McCauley

Heard that Gareth McCauley is rumoured to be signing a new deal as player coach, Gerrard has been very pleased with his attitude and presence.

Story comes from someone who claims it's from a good source, so take it or leave it.
Why not, handy for 4th centre half back up for another year.

I have it from a good source that GMAC will be playing in the Irish Premiership this season for a team not too far from home.

Take it or leave it.

Rumours going about Larne is that he's coming home next season and he and Kenny Bruce are pretty good friends.

I have it from a good source that GMAC will be playing in the Irish Premiership this season for a team not too far from home.

Take it or leave it.
Heard that also, but I would imagine if he gets an offer to stay at Ibrox there will be no contest.

Yes agreed, all we then need is a 3rd choice for a year like worral was.
Shouldnt cost a lot

Was going to post exactly this. If we can get another real quality CB and have 3 fighting for 2 positions (and rotating at the right times) then i'd be happy for the big man to be our 4th choice CB.

I'd imagine he'd play in the cups against lower league opposition and maybe the odd league game ie Ross County at home if we have a big game* in midweek or the following week

*I know they're all big games but you get the point

A lot of nay-sayers in here. Good luck to him, I trust the Gaffer's judgement.

We could quite easily have 2 central defenders injured at the same time. Would you be happy for a slow, almost 40 year old McAuley playing for an extended period?

We need better - even for 4th choice.
Ifs and buts mate, we have a budget.
There also must be youngsters who could be 4th choice and mccauley even 5th.
Its only the SPL, strikers arent great.

If that was the case the deal would have been done when the season finished I reckon

I have it on great authority he will be player manager at EKThistle this coming season

A lot of nay-sayers in here. Good luck to him, I trust the Gaffer's judgement.
Everyone has seen him play last season.

He's clearly done.

If this is true I imagine the player part is nothing more than a token gesture and he might play against lower league sides in the cup.

He is done.

The defeat at Rugby Park in January will forever be remembered for Worrall making an arse of it but McAuley was brutal that night aswell.

5th choice cb/coach - ok I can get behind that.

4th choice - absolutely not. Our 4th choice cb could potentially play 10-15 games. We'd need better

If the manager rates him as a coach then great but he should be an emergency center back only. 5th choice rather than 4th.

You are right but when he did play last season I thought he was pretty poor to be honest!
Its not going to be about playing, and btw the guy missed the close season.
It will be coaching and he does have a lot of expierence plus a rangers man.
I cannot believe the amount on here bad mouthing him.
He aint done anything wrong ffs

I don’t see anyone bad mouthing him. I see people questioning whether a 40 year old who is slow and has barely played is an ideal candidate for potentially playing in a title challenge. Fair points.

As a coach yes (if he's up to the required standard) but as a player no. We need better.

He was solid enough in any game he played. We may need better for a number of games, but the bread and butter of the Premiership on a soggy Wednesday night?

As a player-coach it would not bad to have him in reserve. If he goes, best of luck!

I don’t see anyone bad mouthing him. I see people questioning whether a 40 year old who is slow and has barely played is an ideal candidate for potentially playing in a title challenge. Fair points.
But he will be well down the line, maybe 5th.
We aint got the surplus money, maybe katic/ goldson, the guy from oldham, then someone from the second team. Then gareth.
I do get it with age, but SG kept him in the background for back up and he would be the same again.
Only for a year mind you.

But he will be well down the line, maybe 5th.
We aint got the surplus money, maybe katic/ goldson, the guy from oldham, then someone from the second team. Then gareth.
I do get it with age, but SG kept him in the background for back up and he would be the same again.
Only for a year mind you.

If he’s shown coaching skills that are better than those out there and has a positive influence on the feel around the club then absolutely keep him as a coach.

I would not want to be 2 injuries/suspensions away from trying to get a 40 year old back up to speed though when every game is crucial. If we don’t have any youth players who are good enough to be number 5 then we should go out and get a young prospect for very little outlay. I just don’t think he should even be considered an option playing wise. I like the guy though and wouldn’t have a bad word to say about him.

If he’s shown coaching skills that are better than those out there and has a positive influence on the feel around the club then absolutely keep him as a coach.

I would not want to be 2 injuries/suspensions away from trying to get a 40 year old back up to speed though when every game is crucial. If we don’t have any youth players who are good enough to be number 5 then we should go out and get a young prospect for very little outlay. I just don’t think he should even be considered an option playing wise. I like the guy though and wouldn’t have a bad word to say about him.
fair shout and agree, we really should have players coming through or whats the point in having youths etc

Having seem him playing for us, I’d rather we punted him or if he really has to stay then as a coach.

He should not remain a player under any circumstances. Simply not good enough

Saying he was poor is not bad mouthing him ffs!

Seems a good guy but I’d rather a young player get a chance as 4th choice , he’s passed it for the level we need to be at.

Why not? Cause he was absolutely howling in every game bar his debut.

Of course, he got a free pass while Worrall copped the blame for it.

We will never win the title with Gareth McAuley as a player. Not even a 4th choice backup.
Agreed , away to Vienna I saw him “ sprint “ and that made up my mind.

Why not? Cause he was absolutely howling in every game bar his debut.

Of course, he got a free pass while Worrall copped the blame for it.

We will never win the title with Gareth McAuley as a player. Not even a 4th choice backup.
He will not be needed to win the league if 4th choice as he wont be playing.

Back