Gary Lineker justifies his £1,750,000 out-of-your-pocket annual wage as a football expert

Hopefully his increasingly huge ego will be his undoing and he gets the sack for some of the outspoken crap he comes out with. It's a disgrace that our national broadcaster that we are forced to pay to watch is paying this clown 1.75 million per year

FA Cup only has a problem once the third round comes. Good competition till then. I would just make it more likely for all Clubs still in it out the top two tiers to make money. Can only think making all Premier League Clubs play apart and away in the 3rd round would do that, can’t meet Championship teams and any Club that draw a Premier League side has the option to switch it to an away match. The main thing is making money anyway, make it more likely for those who need it for that to happen. Scrap replays after the 3rd round.

He was a superb footballer. A model professional who, incredibly, was never booked during his career battling some vicious defenders. Apparently, he was also a superb snooker player who could have earned a living as a pro.

After football he re-invented himself as a pundit and reached a pinnacle by rising to present Match of the day

He has supplemented his income with successful adverts. He has kept in great shape and enjoyed the company of beautiful and glamorous women.

And yet...despite all that, he's always been a bit of a prick. (And that's another 'achievement'.

I like him and his politics...upsets the right people.

100% certain that this is why so many on here dislike him.
The guy is vocally anti-Brexit and says what he thinks on twitter, that seems to be enough to be a 'smarmy prick' on FF :D

Apparently the fact he makes good money is an issue as well ?

The man shat himself on pitch like proper no metaphorically he actual shat himself on pitch didn’t believe it till I YouTube that shit out pardon the pun

I like him, his salary - if it didn't go to him - it would go to someone else.
He has put a lot of time becoming a tv personality after retiring where players made a relatively modest earning in comparison to now. He is entitled to his opinions, just as we are.
Change personality to boring smug bassa,and the rest of your comment is fine

An absolute cretin of a human being,a smug,self loving prick who somehow thinks his political opinions are more important than everyone else's.Prick.

canny stand the guy so I can hoestly say I dont really see or hear him but on the occasions that I have he just comes across as a phanny with a team of researchers behind him

I don't mind him, I don't see the BBC can Justify that amount of licence payers money on him though. If people want to watch MOTD they will do so no matter who presents it.

There's no need for him on MOTD. How many people watch it live? I record it and watch it but fast forward through his and the pundits pishy bits. The programme only lasts 30-40 minutes. Save a fortune and only have a voice over to introduce the games

To be honest I don’t really have a problem with the ideas he’s suggesting. Replays do seem a bit outdated considering how many more fixtures there are these days.

I actually don't mind him, it's his pervy brother in Spain that's worth the watching

People tune in to watch their team, no one really gives a stuff about the chatting between the games.

I don't have an English team and I watch MOTD every week from start to finish. Lineker, Shearer, Wright and Murphy and decent to listen to imo.

Sportscene on the other hand, I record it, watch our game and delete.

I like him, his salary - if it didn't go to him - it would go to someone else.
He has put a lot of time becoming a tv personality after retiring where players made a relatively modest earning in comparison to now. He is entitled to his opinions, just as we are.

His vast BBC salary would not go to someone else. Nobody earned that much before and his ITV counterpart - the only valid comparison - is lucky to get a third of Lineker’s pay. And that’s before any other gigs he does (which are his own business but reduce any sense of exclusivity on BBC which would put the price up).

I have zero problem with Lineker earning a salary but like generations before him, he should earn it on commercial terms. Jimmy Hill, Bob Wilson, Des Lynam did it, not to forget many big name presenters who went to ITV for the cash down the years.

Look at the alternatives - people like David Coleman who stuck with the BBC on modest wages for donkeys years - but didn’t object to doing darts tournaments in the middle of nowhere in January rather than top up his money on a commercial channel. Arguably as well known - to a mainstream audience - as Lineker will ever be.

There's no need for him on MOTD. How many people watch it live? I record it and watch it but fast forward through his and the pundits pishy bits. The programme only lasts 30-40 minutes. Save a fortune and only have a voice over to introduce the games

7 million people each weekend.

Not bad I'd say.

They should just abolish licence fee, fund the BBC news channel and let the rest survive as commercial operation with advertisers as per ITV. London luvvies salaries would soon plummet!!

Can't stand the bastard. And that salary for what he does is a joke, and all with public money.

The old story they have to compete with ITV etc is bullshit. They don't.

Back