Gary McAllister 1990s

bazmaster

Why didn't he sign for us dureing this time.Were Leeds looking for crazy money or did he not fancy the move to Scotland.

I think, he was sounded out by Walter, and would have signed had Walter not got his primary target - a certain Paul Gascoigne.

Would have been brilliant at Ibrox.

McCallister was getting linked to us even before the summer we got Gazza.

I remember one of the papers (possibly the Post) had us signing McCallister (Leeds), Merson (Arsenal) and Keith Curle (Man City).

I seem to have it in my head that we were after him round about ‘94, but Leeds wanted over £5m which was more than Murray was prepared to spend.

I think we were interested as early as when Souness was in charge. It seemed like the player preferred to remain in England.

I think we were interested as early as when Souness was in charge. It seemed like the player preferred to remain in England.

Souness tried to sign him summer 1990 when he was leaving Leicester.

From about 1992 to 1996 we were linked with him almost monthly and almost every summer it seemed like he signed a new deal to stay with Leeds until he eventually went to Coventry.

I remember one of the papers (possibly the Post) had us signing McCallister (Leeds), Merson (Arsenal) and Keith Curle (Man City).
I actually remember reading that story in my gran’s. Definitely the Post

Fantastic player even in his later years at Liverpool.

I think I heard we wanted him when he was at Motherwell before he went down South.

In all honesty though, in the early to mid 90's I was more than happy with Ian Ferguson, McCall, Steven, Gascoigne, Laudrup and Albertz (at various points) in midfield. Only issue was they always came up short in Europe for us with the exception of the 92/93.
When he left Motherwell along with Ally Mauchlen I would have had the 2 of them at Ibrox

I always got the impression that he was happy with his career in England and didn’t want to sign for us. He played with Leeds who were the league champions and had a very successful career in England in general including winning cups with Liverpool.
We on the other hand had plenty great midfielders during that period and probably didn’t really need him.

Would loved to have seen him with us as a player, his career wasn't too shabby to say the least. Still believe Super should have taken the penalty but I don't hold it against him all the same.

Souness tried to sign him summer 1990 when he was leaving Leicester.

From about 1992 to 1996 we were linked with him almost monthly and almost every summer it seemed like he signed a new deal to stay with Leeds until he eventually went to Coventry.
Bang on - that's the memory I have of GM.
Shame we never landed him.

And Denis Berkamp, the headline was Denis Gerkamp.

Scored quite comfortably one of the best goals scored at Ibrox.
I liked your post but didn't like his goal at the time. A good player in a good team scoring a good goal in Europe away from home early. What a team we were to come back the way we did over those 2 games. I think that was us in our absolute prime in my time watching us.

Back