Gary McAllister says Rangers have the fear factor back after being an easy target for years

BlueMeanie

GARY McALLISTER has claimed no one will ever brand Rangers a bunch of softies again.

The Ibrox No 2 believes the Light Blues were an easy target as they struggled to reach the top flight.

But he insists they now have the fear factor again — both at home and in Europe.

McAllister, who had a spell as a TV pundit during Rangers’ wilderness years, said: “I did a stint with BT Sport and it was just bizarre to see.

“Teams were going to Ibrox with a bounce in their step, as if they really fancied themselves. There was a long list of teams who came to Ibrox and won.

“But we’ve come a long way since then.

“Whether teams think they can come and win or steal a result, now they know they’re in a game.

“We must keep putting that on the players — make sure we’re tough to play against, no matter who the opposition is.

“Right from the off, for the gaffer and the staff, it was about trying to bring a bit of respect and some kudos back.

“Let’s be honest, Rangers were an easy target. They were getting battered from every angle.

“I don’t think that’s the case now. I think we’ve sent the message out across Europe that we’re a tough opponent.”

McAllister joined Steven Gerrard in committing his long-term future to Gers last week and believes that was confirmation that the Ibrox manager won’t use Scotland as a stepping stone back to a job in England.

Macca said: “He’s a loyal man and you can’t underestimate how he feels about the fact that Dave King, the Rangers board, and Rangers as a club, employed him and gave him his first job after looking after the under-18s at Liverpool.

“They took a chance. Now we’re committing to the club and the club have committed to us.

“They’ve made each of us welcome from minute one. The support we’ve had has been fantastic.

“It’s been a wee bit easier for me, I’m coming home and I have family members here. But you had other people moving up.

“We can feel something special happening, hopefully.

“We’ve got to keep working hard. You never know what can happen at a club like this.”

Rangers head for Motherwell, where McAllister started his career as a teenager.

He said: “It’s my old club and it’s nice to go back. I’ve great memories, but I work at Rangers now and we need to win.

“I watched Motherwell against St Johnstone and they were excellent. There’s youth and energy and they’re going well.”

That’s true and it’s been a long time coming.

Gerrard, Gary Mac and the coaching team deserve all the credit for turning us into a proper Rangers team again.

I agree however, the tims are a mental block for us. Watching them against Young Boys they were confident on the ball - didnt rush any passes but against them you can see we are a different side. Yes we bossed the game last week but we still looked nervy and too rushed i.e. not picking the right pass or putting a name on a cross.

Back