Gary McAllister when he was a player

Excellent centre midfielder.

Was surprised he went to as small a club as Coventry when he left Leeds Utd in 96.

The things he did at Liverpool were amazing for a player that was supposedly past it. Good honest pro and a huge influence on our gaffer.

8397345153_6ff70a07d9_o.gif

anigif_enhanced-626-1402208993-26.gif

Cracking player , always seemed to stroll though games dont think he was ever fully appreciated in Scotland but seemed to be rated down south .
In the old school style of words he made the ball do the work not him .

3 things stick out for me

Volley for Leeds against us.

England penalty miss.

Goal against Everton (think it was last minute).

I only really remember him in his later years of football.

Unfortunately my recollection was the last time he played(I think) for scotland and the only time I stepped foot in cesspit park..and when I stopped going to Scotland games
He was booed off..
He was a great player in his day tho.

Quality player who strolled it through most games. As he got older his intelligence and experience kicked in. Would liked to have seen him in a Rangers shirt, both him and Don Hutchison seemed to be constantly linked, but came to nothing.

(I think the comment about him being world class was a bit OTT though).

Unfortunately my recollection was the last time he played(I think) for scotland and the only time I stepped foot in cesspit park..and when I stopped going to Scotland games
He was booed off..
I was at the same game. He was getting booed every time he touched the ball. Absolutely disgusting behaviour from the so called tartan army.
However I prefer to remember the great player that he was.

He was booed off..

That was my recollection when he played for Scotland. The Brigadoon Brigade never took to him for some reason.
Remember him getting rave reviews at Motherwell in his early days and there was more than one rumour about him coming to Rangers. Then again football rumours in Glasgow in those days started like a fart and were a bucket of shite half an hour later.

Before the long injury which kept him out of France 98 he was a genuine world class player.

That was my recollection when he played for Scotland. The Brigadoon Brigade never took to him for some reason.
Remember him getting rave reviews at Motherwell in his early days and there was more than one rumour about him coming to Rangers. Then again football rumours in Glasgow in those days started like a fart and were a bucket of shite half an hour later.
Was he not 2nd choice to Gascoigne had Gazza turned us down?

His volley against us was ridiculously good technique.

Never really seen a hit like it since.

His dad is Rangers (and golf) daft.

Used to speak him in the chippy in Newarthill when he was a regular there and I was doing deliveries, nice fella.

I thought he was outstanding for Liverpool at the tail end of his career.

I just checked wiki and he was 35/36 when he joined them and stayed two years. Good players can adapt to being a little slower by using their footballing brain and experience.

I thought he was outstanding for Liverpool at the tail end of his career.

I just checked wiki and he was 35/36 when he joined them and stayed two years. Good players can adapt to being a little slower by using their footballing brain and experience.
Arguably the two best seasons of his career.

He was top drawer .

Announced himself to me by scoring that goal against us.

His name always caught my eye after that, be it sticker books or Match of the Day. I thought it was odd Liverpool were signing a seemingly "past it" player, how wrong were I and many others?

Did he not say after his Liverpool stint he'd have liked a chance at Rangers? or am I talking nonsense?

Cantona stated at a Man U Q&A surprisingly to the crowd that Gary McCallister was the best player he played alongside. Make of that what you wish. As for his Scotland performances: look at who he had in front of him making runs. Darren Jackson, John McGinlay and Gordon Durie...Occasionally Super Ally. The 1st 2 were regulars when he started getting booed by the tartan army. He was on a different wavelength than them quality wise which was proved years later at Liverpool.

Was a great player always thought he would have ended up signing for us

He was booed off..

That's precisely my story, down to it being the only time in the chamber of secrets.

It was the day I started to question the tartan army. Until then I'd believed everything I'd read in our press about them.

The treatment of McAllister was disgusting.

I went to goodison years and years ago can't even remember the score was either 3-2 or 3-3 all

He was by a fucking mile the best Coventry player and scored a peach of a free kick

That's all I remember

His career with Scotland came to a sad end but he was a great player.

Seemed to get better with age and scores good goals.

He was always linked with a move to us and I think would have been here had we not signed Gazza.

Classy player who always seemed to have time on the ball. Seemed to be linked with Rangers most summers for a huge chunk of his career, was always disappointed we never signed him. He should have let Super Ally take that penalty at Wembley though!

Back