Gary McAllister when he was a player

A very good player.Barry F was better tho.Him Laudrup,Albertz,Gazza,De Boer,Gio all better players.If I remember right the tartan army hated him lol.

He was Houlier's best signing at Liverpool, and proved that Liverpool can't win big without the Scottish influence

Won every major domestic honour you could win in England and was in the English PFA team of the year more than once.

A very, very good player.

There was a story about Brian Clough trying to sign him for Forest, before he went to Leeds. The interview didn't go well, the two didn't hit it off. All I can find online is that McAllister wore cowboy boots to the meeting, and Clough didn't like that. But what I remember being reported at the time is Clough asking why McAllister wasn't married, and insinuating he was gay. He would have been 25. :eek:

I never understood why he got booed that night for Scotland. I think it was his first cap for nearly 2 years due to injury. I seem to remember the insinuation was that it was due to his penalty miss. Doesn't make sence, that was 3 years previously. Also he played for Scotland many Times in between those games. He played a big role in Scotland qualifying for France 98, i think he scored a penalty in a 1 0 away win in Belarus. Whatever the reason those idiots booed him his retirement was certainly Scotland's loss.

I never understood why he got booed that night for Scotland. I think it was his first cap for nearly 2 years due to injury. I seem to remember the insinuation was that it was due to his penalty miss. Doesn't make sence, that was 3 years previously. Also he played for Scotland many Times in between those games. He played a big role in Scotland qualifying for France 98, i think he scored a penalty in a 1 0 away win in Belarus. Whatever the reason those idiots booed him his retirement was certainly Scotland's loss.
That’s the tranny army for you.

8397345153_6ff70a07d9_o.gif

anigif_enhanced-626-1402208993-26.gif

Never understood why a player of his ability decided to smash it that day.

Stuck out like a sore thumb when he emerged at Motherwell.Was a bit lightweight so it was very handy he had Ally Mauchlen as his bodyguard on the pitch.
No surprise the 2 of them went to Leicester together.

One of my first footballing memories was of him missing that penalty at Euro 96.

He had an excellent career with Leeds and what he achieved at Liverpool was superb. I thought it was a strange one at the time when he went there .

Ask Steven Gerrard how good a player he was. Our manager looked up to him when both were at Liverpool.

Nonsense. Albertz was head and shoulders above McAllister.
No mate, you're looking at it with blue tinted specs. Albertz was good but McAllister was a key player for both Leeds and Liverpool with all respect due to him i don't think Albertz was as key to us as McAllister was to those mentioned. Certainly Advocaat didn't see Albertz that way.

Yep. That one season at Liverpool (in a quality squad) masked what was an okay career. Promised a lot and didn’t deliver.
Absolute nonsense.
I know it’s all about opinions but you aren’t the captain of a English league winning side, and midfield linchpin to Liverpool in your mid 30s if you are just ok.

He may not have been world class but certainly far better than you are making out.

A fantastic footballer, one who I always expected to sign at Rangers in the mid 90s

I'm absolutely delighted he is involved with Rangers at last.

as I was always told , "Honesty is best policy" - I never rated him & disliked him as he always "just" done - the "easy thing", but when you look back, his easy thing was so many levels above the norm !!!
When the scousers signed him was maybe when I realised he had some ability lol !!!
Recently watched him on youtube and you realise he was not too bad a player !!

I have heard from a Rangers 1st team player that he is a superb coach - thats good enough for me nowadays lol

He should have let Super Ally take that penalty at Wembley though!

To be fair he had taken and scored with a penalty in the 1992 European Championship finals in Sweden and the reason he took the spot kick v England. Had he scored he'd obviously have taken the penalty against Switzerland.

Back