Gay Football players

Greenock_Loyal

What would be the reaction if a current Rangers player for example came out as gay... Would it bother people on here/in the stands or do you think wouldn't be an issue these days?

I always thought I'd be uneasy about it but the world is changing. It's going to happen to one club probably in months rather than years time... But if it was us, would it bother you?

Don't want this to be a thread to slag folk who disagree btw, it's to debate/discuss amongst ourselves if one of our players did... Not general discussion about gay people in general etc.

If the issue was message boards/stands or even the media it would've happened by now. This issue remains in the dressing room.
It would absolutely be the first thing fans would cling on to, either opposing fans to sing about or his own clubs fans after a poor run of form.

Not necessarily to hate him because he’s gay, it would just be the most obvious identity trait.

Aww FFS Catholics and now this? Tbh I couldn't give a flying %^*& where any player puts their boaby. Bet some of our squad have had their boabies in worse places than a guys arse.

The very fact he is a Rangers player would see him receive horrendous abuse from opposing fans, it shouldn’t be an issue, if there was a time in the near future a player of ours was to publicly say he was Gay, I would hope he would receive 100% support from everyone connected to the club.

I know of one player who was gay, played for us in the last 20 years, he lived with a guy who was the son of a close family friend.

It would absolutely be the first thing fans would cling on to, either opposing fans to sing about or his own clubs fans after a poor run of form.

Not necessarily to hate him because he’s gay, it would just be the most obvious identity trait.
And they would be rightly vilified for that. There would be outrage like you've never seen before from all sides.

images

Seriously though, I struggle with why it is even a question up for discussion these days.

If any of our current players came out and got abuse of some fans I'm positive the other fans would step in.

There are still neanderthals in football of course, I think it's proven by the amount of homophobic chants that for example happen among away fans at Brighton but I would be confident that we don't have that issue at Rangers.

Always thought the reaction of opposition fans would be a bigger factor than the players own fans. You just need to look how some of the scummy fans at the likes of Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs treat our players just now to realise how difficult it would be for a player to come out and then play there. It would be full on.

I really don't care colour, creed, sexuality or religion if he's a goalie that saves, a defender that defends, a midfielder who commands or a striker who scores goals and plays for Rangers he'll do alright by me.

If any of our current players came out and got abuse of some fans I'm positive the other fans would step in.

There are still neanderthals in football of course, I think it's proven by the amount of homophobic chants that for example happen among away fans at Brighton but I would be confident that we don't have that issue at Rangers.

I remember the whole of Ibrox questioning Van Hooijdonk's sexuality in pretty industrial terms against Feyenoord, that was nearly 20 years ago though to be fair. I don't think it's a club thing or necessarily a homophobic thing, it's just the working class Male football culture which probably makes gay footballers reluctant to come out while playing.

I don’t think any gay footballer of any club who came out would have problems with their own fans.

It’s the opposition fans that would be shouting all sorts at them

Back