Gay Football players

The very fact he is a Rangers player would see him receive horrendous abuse from opposing fans, it shouldn’t be an issue, if there was a time in the near future a player of ours was to publicly say he was Gay, I would hope he would receive 100% support from everyone connected to the club.

I know of one player who was gay, played for us in the last 20 years, he lived with a guy who was the son of a close family friend.
There will undoubtedly have been a good few, if not more.

There is/was a rumour (and I stress rumour) I heard that a current first team member was gay.

Should not be an issue. Sadly I think the media attention would be so overwhelming it puts players off coming out.

Could not give a single rats ass.

99% of people would be the same.

Life's too short to hate others for what they're into as long as it's not kids or animals. Gloves off in those scenarios.

The very fact he is a Rangers player would see him receive horrendous abuse from opposing fans, it shouldn’t be an issue, if there was a time in the near future a player of ours was to publicly say he was Gay, I would hope he would receive 100% support from everyone connected to the club.

I know of one player who was gay, played for us in the last 20 years, he lived with a guy who was the son of a close family friend.
Was he Scottish?

I know off a foreign player under McLeish who was gay.

A large number of males on here prefer men anyway so the support would be tremendous, would have absolute zero issues at all, we'd all support him 100% and look after him as one of our own, that being said the issues wouldn't come from our support, media and the mentalists would make it damn near impossible.

We signed Mo Johnston.
Apart from a few nobody gave a fu.ck yet he had to stay outside Glasgow because of fear of assault by mentally challengeds.
We signed Mark Walters who was welcomed with open arms by the Rangers family, yet received the worst racist abuse ever received at a British football ground bar none by the mentally challengeds.
We signed Jon Daly who was welcomed with open arms by the Rangers family yet received abuse, only, by the mentally challengeds.

If we signed a gay footballer he would be welcomed with open arms by the Rangers family.
And that's the way it should be.

I don’t think our fans would care but a certainty to lead to abuse from opposition fans. Similar to “you should be in jail” chants to flanagan at pitttodrie

What would be the reaction if a current Rangers player for example came out as gay... Would it bother people on here/in the stands or do you think wouldn't be an issue these days?

I always thought I'd be uneasy about it but the world is changing. It's going to happen to one club probably in months rather than years time... But if it was us, would it bother you?

Don't want this to be a thread to slag folk who disagree btw, it's to debate/discuss amongst ourselves if one of our players did... Not general discussion about gay people in general etc.
It's Friday Night ffs.
Debate forward slash it wae yur wee gay pal n gies awe peace.
Mon the Bufties.

We hate Jimmy Hill He's a poof he's a poof. Oh for the banter in the 70s.
70s and beyond. I remember one banner when the Tartan Army had translated "He's a poof" into several European languages. So that everyone would think they were wonderful.

A wee aside, the day Jelavic won the cup for us with pass from Vladimir Weiss, me and my missus went to Speakeasy (gay bar) in Merchant City. Just as we got to the door, 2 women, obviously partners, with orange and blue t shirts, bounced out the door and burst into hello, hello. Always liked that boozer. Cool story and all, but aye, couldn't give one %^*& if one of our players was gay. Would take serious peters at your Pittodrie etc. And the BJK camp. Oh, the irony!

99.9% of people wouldn’t give two shits if they were ultimately good enough to represent the team.

The problem that would arise is that they would be immune to criticism, as it would be twisted as being homophobic.

For want of a better phrase, I believe you're trying to compare apples with oranges here.
A little bit because were dealing with a genuine hypothetical. But it wasn’t long after there was outrage down south when a Spurs player said someone had been racist to him. Morelos has been abused the entire time here, said he was being racially abused which there was recorded proof of as well and the first thing that happens is a journalist takes to a national radio station screaming ‘WHERES THE PROOF?’ despite the fact the club accused have a history of racist incidents.

I think you'd see the so called diverse mob..meaning (them) show their true mask about a Rangers player being gay. I don't see one Rangers fan be bothered as long as he helps get the team the wins required on the field..that's what Rangers is about! It's down to the individual how he orchestrates his own private affairs.

I don’t think the issue would be within a players club itself, with team mates, nor the clubs fans.

The main issue would be the media coverage it would create in the tabloids, and the subsequent digging into their personal life. They would temporarily become one of the most famous footballers in the world, if they play in a top league.

The other issue would be opposition fans, there is no way a player would not get a few homophobic comments and sniggers when playing at an away ground, especially in Scotland.

If players feel they wish to come out, then what would be best if several players came out at the same time, together. That way it would spread the burden and responsibility and show it is more common in the game than people think, and hopefully it would then be more quickly accepted within the media and stands.

Weirdly enough, players would probably get less stick from the stands playing in a professional, high profile, modern environment, like the EPL, compared to somewhere like the Scotland. Imagine the stick a gay Rangers player would get at Parkhead, Pittodrie or Easter Road. If he was black and English as well then he would probably get lynched in Scotland, as we as a nation are not as tolerant or liberal as some would have you believe. Many will say they are, but it does not take much for the bitterness, jealousy, and agendas to come to the fore, the so called left wing have somehow become more zealous in their behaviour recently in their rush to be seen as woke in every respect.

Although it would be amusing seeing the SNP and liberal nationalists rush to defend and support a Rangers player for a change. Or maybe that would be a step too far.

Everyone Anyone, give it your all for the club and the fans will adore you. We’d rally round any player that came out as gay, as long as they didn’t play a stray pass in an OF game, then they could GTF

What would be the reaction if a current Rangers player for example came out as gay... Would it bother people on here/in the stands or do you think wouldn't be an issue these days?

I always thought I'd be uneasy about it but the world is changing. It's going to happen to one club probably in months rather than years time... But if it was us, would it bother you?

Don't want this to be a thread to slag folk who disagree btw, it's to debate/discuss amongst ourselves if one of our players did... Not general discussion about gay people in general etc.

I believe that coming out now is naff- it's not "brave" it's just attention seeking as Britain is a very tolerant country.
Imagine being a gay footballer n an Islamic or African country now that would be brave( or suicidal)

If it was any of our players they would receive horrific abuse from opposition fans, more so than a player from any other club would. Simply because of the hatred of Rangers from the rest of Scottish football.

Who gives a shit what happens between two consenting adults. I don't care where someone sticks their d™ck, as long as it's not illegal and if they are playing for us, are doing the business on the field.

The scum however seems like they dont care where employees stick their d™ck, legal or illegal.

Love these threads on FF. Anyone who might have a problem with a gay Rangers player won’t be saying so in here!

Doesn't matter who our players find attractive. I’d never demand we be told either. You’re here to win trophies, get on with it.

A gay player would be a great marketing opportunity honestly. Think of all the LGBT Rangers merch we could start to punt if we had one. They gays are known for flocking in huge numbers - I'm sure we'd attract a lot of new supporters from it.

As the late Bill Struth said - we welcome the gays.
I initially laughed at that but then I thought the guy has something there.
even better if the cretins at BJK stadium gave him a hard time.

i can soon see a transfer being being predicated upon sexuality.

Love these threads on FF. Anyone who might have a problem with a gay Rangers player won’t be saying so in here!

Doesn't matter who our players find attractive. I’d never demand we be told either. You’re here to win trophies, get on with it.

You’d Imagine so, however Literally 5 posts above yours......

If you don the Royal Blue of Rangers; I couldn't give a toss whether you are Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, White, Black, Middle-eastern, African, Gay, Straight etc.

There's only one thing I care about.

Whatever your creed, colour, race or sexuality: You better fucking win.

99% wouldn’t care but ppl are kidding on that some older folk wouldn’t have an issue.

Edit: And right on cue....

Last edited:
I don’t think people would seriously give a shit, but it would no doubt subject them to baiting by opposition fans. That’s the nature of football. Fans will always find something to dislike about their rivals and slag them about.

However, we are ruled by people who don’t understand working class culture, or are ashamed of it, and such an event would likely see a full public inquiry and sanctions applied instead of laughing it off as they should

In reality there is no need for anyone to know someone’s sexual preferences in the first place. It has nothing to do with the game. Players private lives should stay that way and I can’t see any reason why people should want to talk about their sex lives in public. Who you sleep with is only part of who you are so why make such a big deal about it?

Back on topic

I would actually love us to have a gay player.

would be super progressive and other clubs would embarrass themselves every other week with their abuse.

The strength and determination it would take to be an openly gay player as well would make them an asset to most teams.

Everyone Anyone
WATP
But I personally believe the problem is in dressing room nowadays as appose to crowd media etc sad reflection on society tho is slowly changing so there is some hope

Wouldn't be surprised if we have gay players right now and they're just choosing to keep quiet about their private life. The way it should be with everyone, regardless of orientation.

Back