Gay Football players

I don't think it would be as big an issue as the players that are keeping it a secret just now think. Once one high profile current player finds the courage to come out others will follow. If it was a Rangers player he'd get my full support.

By the low of averages there must be many - certainly I’ve heard rumours of one of our first team players - should be that no one has to come out - just that they are gay ,

That bit I do agree with. In Scotland at least it still is the working mans game. Rest of his post is crap and shows he's maybe insecure in his own sexual desires for other men that he couldn't handle a openly gay man playing for us because of his own unwanted homosexuality.
From what he said, I dont think he wants to

I really wouldn't care. I dont know why anyone would in this day and age.

If any of our support would be against it in my opinion they can go support someone else as the club said, Rangers are a club for everyone, anyone and I for one (which I'm sure 99.9% of the support are too) am proud the club that way both players, employees and fans.

Well FF have accepted Sonia and she bats for the same side (apparantly)

Isn't the expression, 'bats for the other side?' If Sonia bats for the same side, then all the FF pervs can still consider themselves in with a shout. (Apparently. )

The hardest part is it'd definitely be giving opposition teams and their fans competitive edges to wind a gay player up.

I'd hope if any of our players are gay that they could just be themselves and if any prick says anything then they'd use it as fuel to play their team off the park.

The hardest part is it'd definitely be giving opposition teams and their fans competitive edges to wind a gay player up.

I'd hope if any of our players are gay that they could just be themselves and if any prick says anything then they'd use it as fuel to play their team off the park.

tenor.gif

I would not have a problem at all with it. But it is my opinion that in Scotland there is no way an active player could come out. For anyone who has played the game, we all know how cruel a dressing room can be. It is actually a sad reflection on our society.

To me it's the same as the players religion, ethnicity. I couldn't care less about their sexuality. The only thing I care about is them performing well on the pitch for us.

The issue would almost certainly be with opposition supporters and I unfortunately include some of our own fans in that. The player in question would receive some amount of abuse. Look at all the racial abuse we've seen fairly recently. That highlights just how much work there is still to do.

'working class culture' shouldn't equal ignorance and intolerance either. Just because it's all you've ever known, doesn't mean that should continue to be the case.

Don't know about that tbh. You could probably get players suspended for making homophobic comments these days. With cancel culture on the rise I'm not sure many players would risk losing their jobs over it.

Aww FFS Catholics and now this? Tbh I couldn't give a flying %^*& where any player puts their boaby. Bet some of our squad have had their boabies in worse places than a guys arse.

I bet plenty posters have had worse than that going by some of the sexual exploits of some :D.

Reactions: 007
I’ve said it before in here, I’m almost certain Christian Nerlinger shoots into the wrong end.

He eyeballed my brother and I for an uncomfortably long time at a nightclub in Shawlands.
We eyeballed him back, but only because we were in awe at a Gers player in our midst.

Had it been Laudrup though we’d have had line ups in the cludgie.

Why would it be an issue, if he was shite then it would I guess but nothing to do with his sexuality.

Could care less as long as they contribute on the pitch.

I’ve said it before in here, I’m almost certain Christian Nerlinger shoots into the wrong end.

He eyeballed my brother and I for an uncomfortably long time at a nightclub in Shawlands.
We eyeballed him back, but only because we were in awe at a Gers player in our midst.

Had it been Laudrup though we’d have had line ups in the cludgie.
I’m beginning to think you are jealous of your brother, you’ve wheeled that story out a few times now :))

It would absolutely be the first thing fans would cling on to, either opposing fans to sing about or his own clubs fans after a poor run of form.

Not necessarily to hate him because he’s gay, it would just be the most obvious identity trait.

This.

I also think this is the main reason behind any racist shouts (in this country). When folk like Sterling have came out showing it gets to them, it only encourages them.

I wonder how many of these gay footballers know each other - what a stance it would be if they all came out together - taking the heat of any individual

I think maybe more of the older and devout religious types, although wouldn't approve doubt they would give a shit

I wouldn't have a problem, if he is doing his best for the club, what else could you ask for. He/they would have my support 100%.

To me it's the same as the players religion, ethnicity. I couldn't care less about their sexuality. The only thing I care about is them performing well on the pitch for us.

The issue would almost certainly be with opposition supporters and I unfortunately include some of our own fans in that. The player in question would receive some amount of abuse. Look at all the racial abuse we've seen fairly recently. That highlights just how much work there is still to do.

'working class culture' shouldn't equal ignorance and intolerance either. Just because it's all you've ever known, doesn't mean that should continue to be the case.

I agree with your post, but as for your last paragraph...you'd have a gargantuan challenge changing the thought process in this country!

“Right Wing Follow Follow Forum In Gay Bashing Shocker”... is getting deleted by the press just now.

No one gives a %^*& about anyone being gay or whatever these days, as it should be.

Not really an issue. Each to their own and as long as they aren't causing any harm to others then I don't see the problem.

Why ruin someones life just because of the way they are.

The world has moved on from being convicted for the crime of falling in love with someone of the same sex. The older generation aye probably would.

I remember the whole of Ibrox questioning Van Hooijdonk's sexuality in pretty industrial terms against Feyenoord, that was nearly 20 years ago though to be fair. I don't think it's a club thing or necessarily a homophobic thing, it's just the working class Male football culture which probably makes gay footballers reluctant to come out while playing.
That's just because it rhymed with Pierre, similarly, Cadette got it because it rhymed with spaghetti. Don't think our support will go down as Lennon/ McCartney lyric-wise.

If someone is banging in the goals for Rangers then I couldn’t care less.

In fact, I hope that some player signs for us and is a totally over the top flamboyant homosexual and ends up scoring numerous goals against the scum and celebrates by mincing past all their fans with a limp wrist, blowing kisses and making loads of filthy innuendos in his post match interview, they’d be absolutely seething!

If you ask a hypothetical question like this, and ask it about a Rangers player, the answers are inevitable. The question as to whether they would be viewed differently is much more subtle, some people would question whether they get stuck in enough, or question if they lost a 50/50 challenge, etc.
And the real question is, what would we do if it was an opponent? For example, very few fans are openly racist towards their own players, but more towards opponents.

You think men finding a man attractive is embarrassing?
Seems a tad homophobic
I think talking on a football forum about explicit sex acts you wish to do with other men is embarrassing, yes. It may seem a bit old-fashioned, but I am very capable of looking at a handsome man without wanting to have sex with him.

Couldn't care less, in fact any player who 'comes out' (sorry just don't like that expression), should be admired and supported, by his team mates, club and supporters.

Back