Gayfield in the 1980s

It was one of the few grounds in tayside/angus that had its terracing under cover behind both goals and the side terracing.dundee/Dundee Utd didn’t have that until the 90’s

That would have been a cracking place to stand on a February afternoon! My stepdad was the groundsman there in the early 2000s and sometimes when I was in Arbroath, I'd help him with the nets before/after the game. Warm memories!
Warm memories?
Bloody freezing from my experience.

Loved an away game at Arbroath in the 70's. Away at sparrow fart, home at dark o'clock.

Remember winning 2-0 around that time with a young Alex O'Hara scoring both goals.

Some wild weather visits to Gayfield in the 1970’s. A Wednesday night game in the League Cup when it was blowing a gale and a Joe Mason goal around 72-73 stick in the mind.

We used to leave early on the Supporters bus for games in Aberdeen and stopped off at one of the bars near Gayfield for a mince roll (no alcohol was served). Always arrived in Aberdeen for the pubs opening. It was almost done with military precision and as we had a number of old guys on the bus, it had probably been done like that for forever and a day.

Remember a midweek League Cup game in 1973 on a Wednesday night. Won 2-1 (Parlane and Conn with late goals).
Had my first underage pint after the game in a pub across from the ground called the Tutties Neuk.

Some wild weather visits to Gayfield in the 1970’s. A Wednesday night game in the League Cup when it was blowing a gale and a Joe Mason goal around 72-73 stick in the mind.

We used to leave early on the Supporters bus for games in Aberdeen and stopped off at one of the bars near Gayfield for a mince roll (no alcohol was served). Always arrived in Aberdeen for the pubs opening. It was almost done with military precision and as we had a number of old guys on the bus, it had probably been done like that for forever and a day.
[/QUO
Joe Mason scored in the league game up there on a Saturday.

I remember being there in the 70's. Our bus had to wait for a couple of guys whe decided they would go and buy some "Smokies". They were in an old wooden crate and the bus driver didn't want them onboard, the Bears won in the end!

Remember going there in 1978 for a league cup game, we were 1-0 from the first leg. We struggled that night to a 2-1 win (Smith and Russell). It was blowing a gale and it was freezing, a wrangler jacket was not enough to keep out the cold.

Wasn’t unusual for a goalkeeper to take a goal kick and the wind blowing it back to where it came from and the ball would go out for a corner.

I was at a game last year that had to be called off for this very reason. Match started and lasted about 13 minutes, the free bar in Arbroath hospitality took a pounding!

They managed to get Craig Brown up to speak at the last minute, he had a few funny stories to be fair.

Mind the Dundee Utd v Rangers game at Tannadice was cancelled one Saturday due to torrential rain and hurricane winds.
We had already travelled up there and thought Fk it we’ll go to Arbroath v Forfar. That was wild, tiny crowd, huddled agaist the wind and pelting rain., pitch like a swamp. Good pie though.

Back in the 70s, I got dragged to a family holiday at a caravan in Arbroath. I was about 12 I suppose. There was nothing else to do, so I wandered into Gayfield Park, the gates were hospitably open. This guy came up and I though I was getting a telling off, instead he gave me a tour of the ground and a big pile of programmes.

Scottish football seems to be a different world now unfortunately.

Spent the day in a wee pub near the ground I think it was called the Skate Inn.

Drank big bottles of Whitbread all day, that's all I remember.:))

Last time I was there was the Scottish Cup game , when Danny Mcgrain was their manager.Stopped off at a boozer in Carnoustie at opening time , got a bottle of QC , as we couldn't get Buckfast , lasted to half time as we were fukin pests , guys on our bus wanted to leather us as they were locked out , and these drunk fannies left at half time .

Kicked off on the minibus home , with cider and smokies flying everywhere but all cuddles when we landed in Cumbersnecky.....couldn't tell you anything about the town.

Back