Gayfield in the 1980s

Last time I was there was the Scottish Cup game , when Danny Mcgrain was their manager.Stopped off at a boozer in Carnoustie at opening time , got a bottle of QC , as we couldn't get Buckfast , lasted to half time as we were fukin pests , guys on our bus wanted to leather us as they were locked out , and these drunk fannies left at half time .

Kicked off on the minibus home , with cider and smokies flying everywhere but all cuddles when we landed in Cumbersnecky.....couldn't tell you anything about the town.

4ec1ZfL.gif

Seeing Colin Stein score a hat-trick in four minutes there on his debut, will always be one of my fondest ever football memories!

I lived on the Arbroath Road in Dundee in those days, and there was no way I was missing that match!

Used to go on holiday up there to the red lion caravan park when I was a kid. Went to a match and lasted about 5 mins and wanted to leave. The weather was wild.

The coldest game I've ever been too in mid 70's . We were back in Glasgow on the bus before I warmed up. Cannot remember a thing about the game - know that we won but that's it

Old grounds are the best especially the old terracing,jacket full of fag burns,bits of pie stuck to your neck,smell of cigar smoke,people pishing on your shoes or legs,hugging complete strangers after a goal like a long lost brother, sadly missed.

Went there in late 80's, possibly 87 to watch Preston as part of a pre season mini tour we were doing. It was a really warm evening and the Arbroath casuals turned up at Tutties Neuk after the game for a bit of a go. They ran off as soon as we walked out.
It was a bit rough in the pubs in Westport at night though

Back