Gazza hat-trick for 8IAR 'The Winner Takes It All'

dirty_sanshoes

Closing credits of the Scotsport live coverage of the 8IAR title winning match v the sheep, they ran a montage of Gazza's incredible hat-trick to the backdrop of Abba's 'The Winner Takes it All'. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

I had it recorded on an old VHS and watched it time after time, but it vanished years ago. Would love to see it again/for it to appear on YouTube.

Anybody remember this?

Remember it - Gazza in his full pomp. Great days. Was in the Club Deck too but my mum had recorded it for me on VHS. No idea what happened to the recording.

On a side note there was a scotsport montage of the mental game at the piggery when laudrup scored the only goal of the game, the goalie saved queers penalty and the fox invaded the pitch ..... suitably set to Crazy Nights :D

Can we reflect on this with the same pleasure without upsetting the moral guardians in the Jon Flanagan thread?

Was in the CD that day as well. Some day.

His second goal (understandably) is what everyone talks about - it was sublime - but his first goal was tremendous as well.

Genuine world class player.

He could have been, but really what did he achieve other than some medals in the back water of Scottish football. Yeah he looked good and had the ability to take control of games domestically but we bought him for Europe and my abiding memory of him in Europe were getting himself sent off for stupidity. Nothing else.

I think of him in Europe and compare him with Barry Ferguson who I watched compete and dominate some of the best in Europe, sorry but Gazza never did it for us in the arena of Europe.

He could have been, but really what did he achieve other than some medals in the back water of Scottish football. Yeah he looked good and had the ability to take control of games domestically but we bought him for Europe and my abiding memory of him in Europe were getting himself sent off for stupidity. Nothing else.

I think of him in Europe and compare him with Barry Ferguson who I watched compete and dominate some of the best in Europe, sorry but Gazza never did it for us in the arena of Europe.

Gazza was the midfield genius who was the on field playmaker that got his country to within a penalty shootout of a World Cup and a European Championship final. To say he couldn't compete at the highest level is ridiculous.

Gazza was the midfield genius who was the on field playmaker that got his country to within a penalty shootout of a World Cup and a European Championship final. To say he couldn't compete at the highest level is ridiculous.

My point is he done nothing for us in Europe to show it.

England won the same amount of games in the group stages of 1990 World Cup as Scotland, one.

In fact that 1-0 win over Egypt was the only game they won over 90 minutes having beaten both Belgium and Cameroon after extra time.

England had a number of “world class” players in that 1990 team. To suggest Gazza carried them single handedly in these events is ludicrous.

Name a game in Europe Gazza controlled for us and really stood out ? Do you remember our results in Europe with Gazza in the team.

My point is he done nothing for us in Europe to show it.

England won the same amount of games in the group stages of 1990 World Cup as Scotland, one.

In fact that 1-0 win over Egypt was the only game they won over 90 minutes having beaten both Belgium and Cameroon after extra time.

England had a number of “world class” players in that 1990 team. To suggest Gazza carried them single handedly in these events is ludicrous.

Name a game in Europe Gazza controlled for us and really stood out ? Do you remember our results in Europe with Gazza in the team.

He scored in the steaua & dortmund games didn't he?

Was posted missing when juve hammered us, but the whole team got steamrollered in both games. Don't think that was gazza's fault

The Ajax result the next season was. That was the night the wife-beating came to light too. Would happily have gotten rid of him then tbh.

Are you seriously comparing Gazza with Ferguson.

He scored in the steaua & dortmund games didn't he?

Was posted missing when juve hammered us, but the whole team got steamrollered in both games. Don't think that was gazza's fault

The Ajax result the next season was. That was the night the wife-beating came to light too. Would happily have gotten rid of him then tbh.

Season 1, We scraped into the Champions League beating Famagusta 1 nil over the two legs.

Got beat away to Steaua 1 nil, drew home with Dortmund 2-2, hammered 1-4 away to Juve and 0-4 at home, drew 1-1 home to Steaua and 2-2 away to Dortmund. No wins in the 6 league stage games, or one out of eight in total.

Following season cruised through qualifier 10-3 on aggregate to Alania, embaressed 3 nil away to Grasshoppers, they branded us tourists, lost at home 1-2 to Auxerre, embaressed 1-4 away to Ajax, beat 1 nil home to Ajax, beat Grasshoppers 2-1 at home, lost 1-2 away to Auxerre.

One win, five losses in the league stages, incidentally a game Gazza didn’t play in.

Season 3, coasted through qualifying round 1, 11-0 aggregate ove Gi Gotu, embaressed first leg 3 nil loss away to Gothenburg, drew 1 each at home. Dropped into UEFA cup, lost both games 2-1 to Strasbourg.

Aye we were burning up Europe with some world class performances.

On a side note there was a scotsport montage of the mental game at the piggery when laudrup scored the only goal of the game, the goalie saved queers penalty and the fox invaded the pitch ..... suitably set to Crazy Nights :D
You are correct, Sky finished it with cast sandstorm. My dad who posts in here has a best of DVD recorded of all our greatest moments and all Celtics greatest ala Inverness/Artmedia/Porto twice you name it he's got it.

Closing credits of the Scotsport live coverage of the 8IAR title winning match v the sheep, they ran a montage of Gazza's incredible hat-trick to the backdrop of Abba's 'The Winner Takes it All'. Hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

I had it recorded on an old VHS and watched it time after time, but it vanished years ago. Would love to see it again/for it to appear on YouTube.

Anybody remember this?

Watched it plenty times myself when I eventually got home from the game.

You better never let Walter hear you talk like that :))

Season 1, We scraped into the Champions League beating Famagusta 1 nil over the two legs.

Got beat away to Steaua 1 nil, drew home with Dortmund 2-2, hammered 1-4 away to Juve and 0-4 at home, drew 1-1 home to Steaua and 2-2 away to Dortmund. No wins in the 6 league stage games, or one out of eight in total.

Following season cruised through qualifier 10-3 on aggregate to Alania, embaressed 3 nil away to Grasshoppers, they branded us tourists, lost at home 1-2 to Auxerre, embaressed 1-4 away to Ajax, beat 1 nil home to Ajax, beat Grasshoppers 2-1 at home, lost 1-2 away to Auxerre.

One win, five losses in the league stages, incidentally a game Gazza didn’t play in.

Season 3, coasted through qualifying round 1, 11-0 aggregate ove Gi Gotu, embaressed first leg 3 nil loss away to Gothenburg, drew 1 each at home. Dropped into UEFA cup, lost both games 2-1 to Strasbourg.

That is a pretty damning record given the players we had.

You make valid points IMO

theres an understandable nostalgia associated with Gazza, domestically terrific and played for us slap bang in the middle of a golden period for the club. A huge name to arrive at Rangers, and while others followed particularly during the Advocaat years, Gazza was a real symbol of where we were at that time as a club

For me he will be remembered as a player who shared some fantastic times with us, but ultimately his off field challenges came to the fore and it didn't end particularly well, which is fucking sad. But thinking back to the good times on the domestic front and yeah, its nostalgia max and I think that's why there's such a fondness for Gazza within the support.

Agree on Europe though, some absolutely honking results and whilst not solely accountable, youd be looking to players like Gazza to stand out and make a difference. He, and others, failed miserably in that regard

Loved watching that montage at the end. Some nice wee digs at the sinister looking Tommy Burns.

Said it many times on here before but think that was the most elated I’ve ever been at Ibrox. Remember calling Gazza Forrest Gump after he done his interview as he said he just kept running and running. Forrest Gump was the in film at the time.

Over 24yrs ago - jeez! - Great memories & the vhs at the time (not explaining to the kids) was
rewound a ridiculous amount of times, buzzing at that.

Probably my favourite ever individual performance.

Some team then.

Goram, Gough, Gascoigne, McCoist. Not a bad spine! Oh, and Laudrup on the wing...

You make valid points IMO

theres an understandable nostalgia associated with Gazza, domestically terrific and played for us slap bang in the middle of a golden period for the club. A huge name to arrive at Rangers, and while others followed particularly during the Advocaat years, Gazza was a real symbol of where we were at that time as a club

For me he will be remembered as a player who shared some fantastic times with us, but ultimately his off field challenges came to the fore and it didn't end particularly well, which is fucking sad. But thinking back to the good times on the domestic front and yeah, its nostalgia max and I think that's why there's such a fondness for Gazza within the support.

Agree on Europe though, some absolutely honking results and whilst not solely accountable, youd be looking to players like Gazza to stand out and make a difference. He, and others, failed miserably in that regard
He always threatened to be on the cusp of something great with us, it never really materialised IMO. He was great in fits and starts but he really let us down in Europe.

Back