Gazza hat-trick for 8IAR 'The Winner Takes It All'

He always threatened to be on the cusp of something great with us, it never really materialised IMO. He was great in fits and starts but he really let us down in Europe.
Agree with the general sentiment but I do think its harsh to say he really let us down in Europe. The whole team did, and we had enough quality elsewhere in the side to see us through some of those ties.

Cant all be blamed on gazza, but he did seem more comfortable domestically than he did on the bigger stage, which is weird for such a character.

Again, said it before.. nostalgia. But an icon of a GLORIOUS time for our club.

The one I sadly remember first when we talk STV using songs over football highlights, is from their tribute to Davie Cooper the night he died. Song was called Right Here Waiting, and to this day I'm close to tears anytime I hear that song played.
Richard Marx sang that song and I've always associated it with Davie Cooper through hearing that song for the 1st time as a 14 year old at the time

My point is he done nothing for us in Europe to show it.

England won the same amount of games in the group stages of 1990 World Cup as Scotland, one.

In fact that 1-0 win over Egypt was the only game they won over 90 minutes having beaten both Belgium and Cameroon after extra time.

England had a number of “world class” players in that 1990 team. To suggest Gazza carried them single handedly in these events is ludicrous.

Name a game in Europe Gazza controlled for us and really stood out ? Do you remember our results in Europe with Gazza in the team.
Did Gazza have a 3way with your bird and ma or something?? You seem to be the only person that dislikes him.

The one I sadly remember first when we talk STV using songs over football highlights, is from their tribute to Davie Cooper the night he died. Song was called Right Here Waiting, and to this day I'm close to tears anytime I hear that song played.

That Davie Cooper tribute your talking about was the first time I ever cried at someone passing away - I was 15 and had in the few years previous been at several family funerals and was too overawed or freaked out that I couldn't cry, that Tribute video released many tears.

I think the reason why our players never really lit up Europe was Walter Smiths tactics.
I agree mate. With the players we had at that time we should have been doing far better in European competition. Interesting that Walter got us to a European final in his second spell with (and no disrespect to them) a group of considerably less gifted players. Was in the Broomloan for that 3-1 game and, as someone has said. his first goal sometime gets overlooked by the second, but it was another special goal from a very special player.

Back