Gazza says Italia ’90 was best time of his life, even if he clashed with Sir Bobby Robson

Craigie

PAUL GASCOIGNE feared no one when he set foot on football’s greatest stage at the 1990 World Cup.

The former Rangers star reveals all about his Italian Job in Harry Harris’ new book, Italia 90 Revisited — The Players’ Stories, available from Empire Publications.

Here, Gazza gives his account of that memorable summer…

It was the best time of my life. I loved it, I loved it from the moment I got on that plane.

Nothing fazed me, I wanted to be in the World Cup, every player’s dream. But it felt like I was going on holiday — I was playing tennis, table tennis. I loved every minute of it.

My greatest memory of Italia 90 is getting on the plane and feeling the excitement.

It doesn’t feel like 30 years ago. When those clips come up on TV it feels like yesterday. But then I’m upset and try not to think about Italia 90.

The best time of my life, yes, but how I miss it.

I miss it so much because I never got to experience it again — and that’s why it makes me feel so sad after feeling so good watching it back on TV.

I loved it, just loved it, but I treated it like I had treated going to a youth cup tournament.

It was a holiday. I played tennis, spent time by the pool, I was on the pedal boats.

The football didn’t worry me. I didn’t care who we were playing, what anyone said about the opposition, I knew I could get the better of them.

I was full of confidence, not interested in the tactics, who their best player was, or who would be marking me.

All I was interested in was in winning those games and doing my best for the team to achieve it.

Of course, playing tennis at one in the morning before the World Cup semi- final didn’t go down too well with the gaffer.

I was on the court and I could hear this gruff voice shouting, “Gazza, Gazza”. I thought, ‘F***, I’m in trouble now’.

Bobby Robson would knock on my door if he thought I was up too late playing tennis.

I would tell Chris Waddle, as I roomed with him, that if he heard a knock on the door, it was sure to be Bobby Robson and to tell him I’m asleep.

Sure enough, there was a knock on the door. “Gazza, where is he?” Chris would reply, “He’s sleeping, boss”.

“Sleeping, sleeping? I’ve been told he’s been playing tennis for the last two hours!”

Bobby Robson told me before the semi-final with West Germany that I would be up against Lothar Matthaus, the best midfielder in the world.

I told him, “Sorry, you are wrong there, gaffer… I’m the best in the world”. And I was determined to go out and prove it — and I did.

Before that semi-final, the president of Juventus stopped me in the stadium and said he wanted to sign me after the game — it was minutes before I was about to go and get ready to play.

He said I should first sign for Roma to learn the language and settle into the Italian way of life, then he would sign me from Roma.

He wanted to speak to me after the game but I didn’t speak to him.

As for the tears, you know I didn’t touch the German — and the ref said to me he wouldn’t have booked me if he had known I’d already been booked.

I cried, but not because I was missing the final as everyone thinks.

I cried because I felt I had let down the fans, my team-mates, the manager, everybody.

I cried because I thought it was the end of my career, that I would never have another chance to play in a team like that, on the world stage, with and also against such world-class footballers.

And, of course, I was right to have that feeling.

In 1994, I broke my arm and, in any case, we didn’t qualify for the States. I had a good Euro 96 but Glenn Hoddle left me out in 98.

He said he’d found God — must have been a great pass!

So, it was my first and also my last World Cup. But I don’t have any regrets that Glenn Hoddle left me out in 98, because no one can take away from me what I did in Italia 90.

When I got back to the North East, my dad threw a party for me at our local working men’s club but halfway through I told him I had to nip out for a while.

I went round to the park where I would spend virtually all night kicking the ball around, until I went home exhausted and fell asleep.

In that park I cried, thinking about the kid kicking the ball around there who had made it all the way to the World Cup semi-final and nearly made the final.

If I do have a regret it is that I became an alcoholic and that I now have pellets in my stomach.

It’s OK if I have a glass of beer or a glass of wine but if I have too much beer or wine, any vodka or spirits or any drugs, then I just spew it all out.

Pele always says, “There’s only one Pele and there will only ever be one Pele”.

Well, there will never be another Paul Gascoigne.

And if there is, they will need to be in rehab nine times!

From The Sun

Saw Gaza when in hospitality a while back, he was a surprise guest and this 65 year old was like a little kid,totally in awe of the footballer I remembered.

"On one of our days off we went down to the beach to sunbathe. David Platt had joined the squad - more of that later - and ever since we arrived hadn't stopped going on about Doug Eliis, the Aston Villa owner and Platty's boss.

"It was all, 'Doug Ellis has the best yacht. Doug Ellis is going to do this. Doug Ellis is going to do that. Doug Ellis had installed the best pitch. Doug Ellis has flown to the moon.'

"By lunchtime we'd had a few drinks, although we shouldn't have, and I decided it was time to take the p***.

"There was a big-ass yacht anchored about three hundred yards off the beach and when I saw it I shouted, 'Ooh look, Dougie and his boat.'

"I started to swim out to it and a few of the lads followed, mainly because I said they would probably have loads of drink on board.

"As we got nearer I was calling out, 'Oh Dougie. Oh Dougie. Where are you? Just then a bloke peered over the side. 'Hello Paul.' F*** me, it was Doug Ellis.

"About eight of us clambered on board, including Gary Lineker's missus. We must have got through about thirty bottles of champagne and all of his food.

"It was brilliant. At one point I leapt on Mrs Lineker for a laugh and we both tumbled over the side and into the ocean. Fortunately she saw the funny side, but I'm not sure Gary did.

"By the time we had to leave I was smashed. We were swimming back and I was about a hundred yards from shore when I began to get tired. I decided the best thing to do was take a deep breath, dive to the seabed, give myself a moment to relax, then push up and swim back as fast as I could."Yeah I know, not the smartest decision I've made, but I was p****d.

"As I was coming back up I must have got turned around because after resurfacing and swimming hard I looked up expecting to see the shore but discovered I was heading in the wrong direction.

"I was beginning to struggle and I panicked a bit. It was quite frightening. I started to wave my hands in the air and luckily enough a little dinghy with an outboard motor turned up.

"It was Gary Lineker and another bloke. 'Get in you daft b*****d,' he said.

"When I looked up it was Nigel Kennedy, the violinist. 'Give us a tune then, Nige,' I said. 'Handel's Water Music?' he laughed. I didn't have a clue what he was on about."

Back