Gazza v Gerrard

HandsomeHead

England wouldn’t have got to the semi final without Gazza. He played a huge role in the wins over Belgium and Cameroon and was also outstanding against the Netherlands. He was excellent that tournament.

Barnes and Waddle always struggled to replicate their club form for England which is probably why they’re not treated with the same reverence.
I’m not saying Gascoigne didn’t play well or didn’t have a good tournament, he did, but what marked him out at club level was his ability to run past two or three players at will, something Barnes and Waddle could also do, but he never really did that at the World Cup, unlike Baggio, who did.

I thought Gascoigne’s performances were more a classic British sleeves rolled up and get stuck in than they were any great demonstration of his outrageous skills.

Unicorn

I’m not saying Gascoigne didn’t play well or didn’t have a good tournament, he did, but what marked him out at club level was his ability to run past two or three players at will, something Barnes and Waddle could also do, but he never really did that at the World Cup, unlike Baggio, who did.

I thought Gascoigne’s performances were more a classic British sleeves rolled up and get stuck in than they were any great demonstration of his outrageous skills.
He completely mugged off Koeman with a Cruyff turn.

Baggio managed it obviously but it wasn’t really the tournament for outrageous skill as a lot of games were brutal, agricultural affairs. Even Maradona only really had one burst against Brazil.

ICA_86

Ask the question on a Liverpool forum and Gerrard would pish it.

They’re too different to compare, if anything you’d play them together.

Jase

Two football greats. Different qualities and unfair to compare them. I'd have Gerrard down as the more dedicated, Gazza was a complete heid banger.

Alex Venters

Not at all. I do know that Gerrard had more to his game than Gascoigne though, along with getting the most out of his ability between the two.
There is no comparison, in terms of ability between Gazza and Gerrard. The only footballing virtue where Gerrard was superior was tackling. Gazza was quicker,both in thought and movement. Gazza had a better touch and better vision. Gazza was easier on the eye and much harder to mark,he was also the superior finisher.
Great at Stevie G undoubtedly was, he was no Gascoinge.

Monts1310

There is no comparison, in terms of ability between Gazza and Gerrard. The only footballing virtue where Gerrard was superior was tackling. Gazza was quicker,both in thought and movement. Gazza had a better touch and better vision. Gazza was easier on the eye and much harder to mark,he was also the superior finisher.
Great at Stevie G undoubtedly was, he was no Gascoinge.
Lol.

All, in your opinion.

GREGRFC

Think Gerrard summed it up when he introduced Gascoigne to the squad at Auchenhowie the other day: “this is a proper footballer, in a different league to all of us.”

As above, on his day Gascoigne was untouchable but Gerrard undoubtedly played at a higher level for much longer. If someone with Gerrard’s drove and professionalism had Gacoigne’s ability you’re talking about the best ever.

truebluerfc

For me Gazza could do everything Gerrard could do on the park but could Gerrard do everything Gazza could do? Could Gerrard do what Gazza did against Aberdeen that day and force his way through 4/5 players at speed and finish the way he did?

Gazza for me

90minsofmadness

Love Gazza but Gerrard was far more complete as a player. Gazza couldn't tackle. Couldn't play all over the pitch. Didn't score a lot of goals from outside the box, not in comparison with Gerrard anyway. Gerrard was also good in the air and scored a number of headed goals which I never recall Gascoigne doing. You could argue that Gascoigne had more God given talent maybe, he was certainly more skilfull, but out of the two you would have to be an absolute idiot to chose him over Gerrard for your team.
I can only presume you are in your early 20s to be talking such utter tosh.

Gazza was far more disciplined centre midfielder than Gerrard.

TylerB

The bias towards a former Rangers player here is sickening. He was a brilliant player, but some are making him out as the English Maradona.

HandsomeHead

He completely mugged off Koeman with a Cruyff turn.

Baggio managed it obviously but it wasn’t really the tournament for outrageous skill as a lot of games were brutal, agricultural affairs. Even Maradona only really had one burst against Brazil.
You're right about the tournament. Baggio apart, none of the really big names - Maradona, Gullit, Van Basten, Romario, Valderama, etc, set it alight.

So much was made of that Cruyff turn though, as if nobody could quite believe an Englishman had managed to pull it off, but it was probably the only moment of genuine magic he managed in the entire tournament.

There's a lot of understandable misty eyed affection towards Gascoigne because he was one of us.

I see someone above comparing him with Maradona. I get the sentiment - they were both cut from the same cloth in terms of talent and self destructive personality - but obviously there's a considerable gulf between the two.

He probably was the closest England have come to producing someone with the ability to become the best player in the world (had he avoided serious injury and screwed the nut - the former being symptomatic of the latter) but it's so very typically English to somehow fail to actually do so.

Carlton The Bear

Have a few of you virgins calmed down yet or are you still butt hurt because someone doesn't quite hold Gascoigne in the same regard?
Have you actually watched his videos yet? You do that while I entertain the missus later.

I think most of us got a tad sick of statements like “mentally weak”, particularly when - as by your own subsequent admission/queries/misunderstandings about him - your evidence was based on what you have never actually seen for yourself.
Like the Jim Baxter vs Laudrup argument that I pointed out I wasn’t in a position to make as I didn’t see Baxter myself.

Chocolateleftfoot

So according to yourself only World Cup and perhaps Euro tournament games seem to matter at all. Makes sense...
Mate, you're the one telling me that the current England team are better than their golden generation, which Gerrard was one of their key players because they made the semi finals after beating the mighty Sweden and Colombia on penalties. A world cup they lost 3 games in. So they either matter or they don't, make your mind up, you're all over the place.

Laidlaw Loyal

Gerrard is Paul McCartney. Gazza is Jim Morrison.

One a talented and superlative professional, one of the best ever, the other a complete genius beyond explanation.

dt17

He probably was the closest England have come to producing someone with the ability to become the best player in the world (had he avoided serious injury and screwed the nut - the former being symptomatic of the latter) but it's so very typically English to somehow fail to actually do so.
Didn't Kevin Keegan win the Ballon d'Or a couple of times? Michael Owen another.

Leo_Ger

Gazza had more ability but his career never consistently hit the heights it should have for a multitude of reasons. His career is flashes of supreme talent and individual brilliance but with various 'what ifs?'. Whilst I'd said he's the most talented English player in my lifetime, Britain also wholeheartedly loves to romanticize the flawed genius archetype.

Gerrard was an extremely talented player but more of a grit and determination to reach his peak type. His career was consistently good at a high level for a prolonged period of time, he also had some high profile moments of individual brilliance and lows. Britain doesn't romanticize the hard work to get their types as much.

If you were picking a player for a one off game at their best then Gazza would be your choice. If you were picking a player to spend their career at your club, then you'd pick Gerrard.

Eddie Doc

More than likely. But his goal against Scotland apart I think he would be known more for crying after their defeat to Italy in the World Cup over anything else he did for England.
West Germany. You weren't even a spunk bubble at the time. Edit. Just saw it's already been pointed out to you.

HandsomeHead

Didn't Kevin Keegan win the Ballon d'Or a couple of times? Michael Owen another.
Keegan was European Player of the Year twice, Owen once, but I doubt anyone would ever argue they were the best players in the world at the time and neither had anything like the natural talent of Gascoigne.

For what it’s worth I could never work out why Keegan won EPOTY in 1978.

In his first season with Hamburg he only finished 10th in an 18 team division, managed just 12 goals in all competitions, (only 6 of them in the Bundesliga), did nothing in Europe and never played at the World Cup courtesy of England’s failure to qualify.

If ever an award looked suspicious, it was that one.

mulguy1953

You can't really have like for like as they were different types of players
For me Gazza has been the most talented player from these islands since George Best
Stevie G has on numerous occasions almost single handedly won games for liverpool that they looked to have lost
What a midfield it would be with those two in the same team
Don't know if they ever played together for England???

Recoba

Official Ticketer
You could argue all day over who had the best career, and it wouldn't be Gazza as he never came close to fulfilling his potential, but for sheer talent, he's in a league of his own, I don't know how anyone can seriously argue with that.
I agree thats why he is top of my list and Scholes is 2nd as he was better than both Gerrard and Lampard in my opinion

Drumchapel-Bear

Gazza had more ability but his career never consistently hit the heights it should have for a multitude of reasons. His career is flashes of supreme talent and individual brilliance but with various 'what ifs?'. Whilst I'd said he's the most talented English player in my lifetime, Britain also wholeheartedly loves to romanticize the flawed genius archetype.

Gerrard was an extremely talented player but more of a grit and determination to reach his peak type. His career was consistently good at a high level for a prolonged period of time, he also had some high profile moments of individual brilliance and lows. Britain doesn't romanticize the hard work to get their types as much.

If you were picking a player for a one off game at their best then Gazza would be your choice. If you were picking a player to spend their career at your club, then you'd pick Gerrard.
Would you really though? Has Gazza ever produced an individual performance anywhere near what Gerrard did in Istanbul that night?

Aberdeen at Ibrox would be the obvious one but there's levels to football....

Bishybear30

Love Gazza but Gerrard was far more complete as a player. Gazza couldn't tackle. Couldn't play all over the pitch. Didn't score a lot of goals from outside the box, not in comparison with Gerrard anyway. Gerrard was also good in the air and scored a number of headed goals which I never recall Gascoigne doing. You could argue that Gascoigne had more God given talent maybe, he was certainly more skilfull, but out of the two you would have to be an absolute idiot to chose him over Gerrard for your team.
Celtic at ibrox comes to mind right away

Boldvale

Official Ticketer
Have a few of you virgins calmed down yet or are you still butt hurt because someone doesn't quite hold Gascoigne in the same regard?
Get the %^*& out. To me the most complete player is the better player.
How has this character lasted this long on here. Hopefully with it being the school holidays next week he'll be off to the seaside for shot on the donkeys.