Gazza v Gerrard

For me Gazza could do everything Gerrard could do on the park but could Gerrard do everything Gazza could do? Could Gerrard do what Gazza did against Aberdeen that day and force his way through 4/5 players at speed and finish the way he did?

Gazza for me

Love Gazza but Gerrard was far more complete as a player. Gazza couldn't tackle. Couldn't play all over the pitch. Didn't score a lot of goals from outside the box, not in comparison with Gerrard anyway. Gerrard was also good in the air and scored a number of headed goals which I never recall Gascoigne doing. You could argue that Gascoigne had more God given talent maybe, he was certainly more skilfull, but out of the two you would have to be an absolute idiot to chose him over Gerrard for your team.
I can only presume you are in your early 20s to be talking such utter tosh.

Gazza was far more disciplined centre midfielder than Gerrard.

The bias towards a former Rangers player here is sickening. He was a brilliant player, but some are making him out as the English Maradona.

He completely mugged off Koeman with a Cruyff turn.

Baggio managed it obviously but it wasn’t really the tournament for outrageous skill as a lot of games were brutal, agricultural affairs. Even Maradona only really had one burst against Brazil.

You're right about the tournament. Baggio apart, none of the really big names - Maradona, Gullit, Van Basten, Romario, Valderama, etc, set it alight.

So much was made of that Cruyff turn though, as if nobody could quite believe an Englishman had managed to pull it off, but it was probably the only moment of genuine magic he managed in the entire tournament.

There's a lot of understandable misty eyed affection towards Gascoigne because he was one of us.

I see someone above comparing him with Maradona. I get the sentiment - they were both cut from the same cloth in terms of talent and self destructive personality - but obviously there's a considerable gulf between the two.

He probably was the closest England have come to producing someone with the ability to become the best player in the world (had he avoided serious injury and screwed the nut - the former being symptomatic of the latter) but it's so very typically English to somehow fail to actually do so.

Have a few of you virgins calmed down yet or are you still butt hurt because someone doesn't quite hold Gascoigne in the same regard?

Have you actually watched his videos yet? You do that while I entertain the missus later.

I think most of us got a tad sick of statements like “mentally weak”, particularly when - as by your own subsequent admission/queries/misunderstandings about him - your evidence was based on what you have never actually seen for yourself.
Like the Jim Baxter vs Laudrup argument that I pointed out I wasn’t in a position to make as I didn’t see Baxter myself.

So according to yourself only World Cup and perhaps Euro tournament games seem to matter at all. Makes sense...
Mate, you're the one telling me that the current England team are better than their golden generation, which Gerrard was one of their key players because they made the semi finals after beating the mighty Sweden and Colombia on penalties. A world cup they lost 3 games in. So they either matter or they don't, make your mind up, you're all over the place.

Gerrard is Paul McCartney. Gazza is Jim Morrison.

One a talented and superlative professional, one of the best ever, the other a complete genius beyond explanation.

He probably was the closest England have come to producing someone with the ability to become the best player in the world (had he avoided serious injury and screwed the nut - the former being symptomatic of the latter) but it's so very typically English to somehow fail to actually do so.

Didn't Kevin Keegan win the Ballon d'Or a couple of times? Michael Owen another.

Gazza had more ability but his career never consistently hit the heights it should have for a multitude of reasons. His career is flashes of supreme talent and individual brilliance but with various 'what ifs?'. Whilst I'd said he's the most talented English player in my lifetime, Britain also wholeheartedly loves to romanticize the flawed genius archetype.

Gerrard was an extremely talented player but more of a grit and determination to reach his peak type. His career was consistently good at a high level for a prolonged period of time, he also had some high profile moments of individual brilliance and lows. Britain doesn't romanticize the hard work to get there types as much.

If you were picking a player for a one off game at their best then Gazza would be your choice. If you were picking a player to spend their career at your club, then you'd pick Gerrard.

Last edited:
More than likely. But his goal against Scotland apart I think he would be known more for crying after their defeat to Italy in the World Cup over anything else he did for England.
West Germany. You weren't even a spunk bubble at the time. Edit. Just saw it's already been pointed out to you.

Didn't Kevin Keegan win the Ballon d'Or a couple of times? Michael Owen another.

Keegan was European Player of the Year twice, Owen once, but I doubt anyone would ever argue they were the best players in the world at the time and neither had anything like the natural talent of Gascoigne.

For what it’s worth I could never work out why Keegan won EPOTY in 1978.

In his first season with Hamburg he only finished 10th in an 18 team division, managed just 12 goals in all competitions, (only 6 of them in the Bundesliga), did nothing in Europe and never played at the World Cup courtesy of England’s failure to qualify.

If ever an award looked suspicious, it was that one.

You can't really have like for like as they were different types of players
For me Gazza has been the most talented player from these islands since George Best
Stevie G has on numerous occasions almost single handedly won games for liverpool that they looked to have lost
What a midfield it would be with those two in the same team
Don't know if they ever played together for England???

You could argue all day over who had the best career, and it wouldn't be Gazza as he never came close to fulfilling his potential, but for sheer talent, he's in a league of his own, I don't know how anyone can seriously argue with that.
I agree thats why he is top of my list and Scholes is 2nd as he was better than both Gerrard and Lampard in my opinion

Gazza had more ability but his career never consistently hit the heights it should have for a multitude of reasons. His career is flashes of supreme talent and individual brilliance but with various 'what ifs?'. Whilst I'd said he's the most talented English player in my lifetime, Britain also wholeheartedly loves to romanticize the flawed genius archetype.

Gerrard was an extremely talented player but more of a grit and determination to reach his peak type. His career was consistently good at a high level for a prolonged period of time, he also had some high profile moments of individual brilliance and lows. Britain doesn't romanticize the hard work to get their types as much.

If you were picking a player for a one off game at their best then Gazza would be your choice. If you were picking a player to spend their career at your club, then you'd pick Gerrard.

Would you really though? Has Gazza ever produced an individual performance anywhere near what Gerrard did in Istanbul that night?

Aberdeen at Ibrox would be the obvious one but there's levels to football....

Love Gazza but Gerrard was far more complete as a player. Gazza couldn't tackle. Couldn't play all over the pitch. Didn't score a lot of goals from outside the box, not in comparison with Gerrard anyway. Gerrard was also good in the air and scored a number of headed goals which I never recall Gascoigne doing. You could argue that Gascoigne had more God given talent maybe, he was certainly more skilfull, but out of the two you would have to be an absolute idiot to chose him over Gerrard for your team.
Celtic at Ibrox comes to mind right away

Have a few of you virgins calmed down yet or are you still butt hurt because someone doesn't quite hold Gascoigne in the same regard?
Get the %^*& out. To me the most complete player is the better player.
How has this character lasted this long on here. Hopefully with it being the school holidays next week he'll be off to the seaside for shot on the donkeys.

I’ve just had a full blown debate with a Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd fan in work about who was the better player. Myself and the Man U fan said gazza the other two said Gazza would be way behind the likes of Gerrard Scholes and Lampard. What’s the thoughts? Gazza will always be number 1 for me.
SG is the better manager.

PG is possibly the most gifted footballer England has ever produced.

Eh? All I've said is what some others have repeated after.

People here are just touchy little weapons and angry because I said a few home truths about Gascoigne. Nothing more to it than that.
You’ve literally just proved my point by calling people weapons haha.

Two different types of players so no real comparison but some good points made.

Gazza could beat men for fun in the days of hard tackling. He had the unpredictable x factor. He would flourish today also as he had the ability.

Gerrard dragged his team by scruff of neck, great passer shooting from range etc. Great career over a long period.

The answer is there is no right answer to this or many a thread like it.

Whoever YOU think was best is probavly correct :)
Fence sitter loyal (for once)

To save a bit of time I only just entered this thread on the last page... :eek:
Seems like a playground spat with a load of "pavement fighting" going on!
Anyway getting back to the point of the thread, for me Gazza just pips it and even Gerrard said when Gazza came to our training centre last week that the man was a Legend!
Two absolutely World Class footballers but Gazza actually worked his magic with us so that seals it for me.

I’ve just had a full blown debate with a Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd fan in work about who was the better player. Myself and the Man U fan said gazza the other two said Gazza would be way behind the likes of Gerrard Scholes and Lampard. What’s the thoughts? Gazza will always be number 1 for me.
I don’t remember Scholes, Gerrard or Lampard bossing a World Cup and taking England to within a few penalty kicks of the final.

I could offer lessons on being respectful on another club’s form. ;)

Chalk and cheese mate, I think everyone enjoys your input here. You certainly don’t come on to sling personal insults, degrade and shit on Rangers legends (even if you never saw them play) and use embarrassing playground patter like “I’ll be with your mother”.

Frankly that child has no business being on here and I’m surprised he hasn’t already been canned.

Its a debate i dont think there is truly an answer to , lets just be thankful we seen them both .

Imagine both of them in your engine room ? Frightening

Gazza for me .
Here are some quotes from others on Gascoigne's career.

''I'd say he's probably the most exciting English player I have seen , and certainly the best .''
Wayne Rooney .

''In his prime , he was one of the best players in the world . He glided with the ball in a way that made him virtually untouchable for opponents. ''
Brian Laudrup

''He was the best player of his era , a breath of fresh air because he played with a smile on his face .''
Sir Alex Ferguson

''He was a lovely boy , lovely, such a heart . But a troubled boy . He ate ice cream for breakfast , he drank beer for lunch . But a player ? Oh, beautiful , beautiful .''
Dino Zoff.

And a great one from Allessandro Nesta '' He gave me 5 pairs of shoes and a fishing kit . I have no idea why , but that was just like him . ''

ffs even SG would say Gazza the best British footballer in my life time
Top five in my lifetime would be (in no particular order) Paul Gascoigne, Bobby Moore, Gordon Banks, Jimmy Greaves and George Best.

Gerrard was a truly great player, but just one of a long list of runners-up to those five.

Gazza for me .
Here are some quotes from others on Gascoigne's career.

''I'd say he's probably the most exciting English player I have seen , and certainly the best .''
Wayne Rooney .

''In his prime , he was one of the best players in the world . He glided with the ball in a way that made him virtually untouchable for opponents. ''
Brian Laudrup

''He was the best player of his era , a breath of fresh air because he played with a smile on his face .''
Sir Alex Ferguson

''He was a lovely boy , lovely, such a heart . But a troubled boy . He ate ice cream for breakfast , he drank beer for lunch . But a player ? Oh, beautiful , beautiful .''
Dino Zoff.

And a great one from Allessandro Nesta '' He gave me 5 pairs of shoes and a fishing kit . I have no idea why , but that was just like him . ''
“He is the greatest captain the club has ever had – it’s as simple as that.” Emre Can

“He’s a fantastic statesman; he has been unbelievably successful with this football club with what he’s done, the amount of games he has pulled out the mire, and the general way he conducts himself.” Kenny Dalglish

“Gerrard has been my idol for 10 years and is one of the best players in the world. He is the example of what all midfield players aspire to.” De Rossi

“He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but Gerrard does more.” Alex Ferguson

‘I’d have to say Steven Gerrard has been the biggest influence in my career so far. I watched him when I was younger and then to go and play and train with him every day is massive for me, and still is now.” Jordan Henderson

“He is undoubtedly one of the best midfield players in the world.” Carlo Ancelotti

“I think of him as being at the same level as Pirlo. Vision, technique, but he is powerful as well. Stevie can do anything. It’s going to be very difficult to find another player like him in the future.” Mario Balotelli

“I have never seen such a complete midfielder.” Claudio Marchisio

“The biggest compliment I can give him is he is second only to Zinedine Zidane in terms of his world-class status.” Michael Owen

“He’s the best player I have worked with in terms of football mentality.” Brendan Rodgers

“For the job he performs, he is one of the greatest.” Ronaldinho

“I can’t think of a striker in the world who has scored so many important goals, never mind a midfielder.” Thierry Henry

“I love Gerrard’s qualities as a player and a leader. Technically and tactically he is the best.” Gus Hiddink

“I am a huge fan of Steven Gerrard, He has the heart of a lion. He is a player I would like to have in my team.” Kaka

“Steven Gerrard was just awesome today. We were just laughing in the dressing room that at one stage we thought he was heading his own crosses in.” Gareth Southgate

“Steven Gerrard is the best player I’ve ever played with.” Luis Suarez

“He is without doubt the greatest player I have ever played with, he has everything. At Liverpool, he is irreplaceable.” Fernando Torres

“Steven Gerrard would be the captain of my World XI dream team.” Francesco Totti

“I heard what Alex Ferguson saif about him being better than me. He’s probably right.” Patrick Vieira

“Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he just might be.” Zinedine Zidane

Sven-Goran Eriksson: An all-round midfielder who can do anything and everything.

Guus Hiddink (in 2009): Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard, Lionel Messi or Xavi from Barcelona deserved the Ballon d’Or more. Ronaldo is only focused on finishing in front of goal. I love Gerrard’s qualities as a player and a leader. Technically and tactically he is the best. His passion is enormous, he means as much for a great team as George Best. He is a player who fans can identify themselves with and a man who carries the love for his club on his club badge. There is not another player in the world who combines all those qualities. I like him so much more than Ronaldo.

Arsene Wenger: For me he was an absolutely fantastic player. He has remained loyal to his club for his whole career and we don’t see that a lot, especially that kind of quality of player.

Graham Taylor: He is, in my opinion, the best midfielder in the world, and has a track record for delivering on the big occasions.

Gerard Houllier: He is a natural born leader, a very inspirational leader. He is somebody you want to follow. Stevie is Liverpool.

Harry Redknapp: A Roy of the Rovers character. It’s surprising to me how often people have used this tag as a criticism of Steven Gerrard and his all-action playing style. He wants to be everywhere…he deserts his position…he can’t play in the middle because he’ll leave a gap. What nonsense. Roy Race was a comic book hero and Steven Gerrard is a real-life one.

Rafa Benitez: He was a massive part of Liverpool winning the Champions League because he was a leader by example.

Cesc Fabregas: I would pay to watch Steven Gerrard.

Alessandro Nesta: One of my toughest but most sporting opponents. An example on and off the pitch.

Iker Casillas: He’s been a reference to all his team-mates throughout the years and is now in history for such a brilliant career at his club for all his life.

Cristiano Ronaldo: It was a pleasure to play against Steven Gerrard.

Francesco Totti: Gerrard is a complete player because he can play in every position and can do everything with a football at any time in a game. He’s a player who scores goals, who builds the play, he’s a sensational player. Steven Gerrard would be the captain of my World XI dream team.

Wayne Rooney (on the best player he has played with for England): I’d have to say Stevie [was the best]. For me he’s an incredible player, an incredible leader. He helped me a lot during my early days with England.

Jose Mourinho: This is my time to honour a champion. It is my time to honour Steve Gerrard. It is with opponents like him that I am the manager that I am, because I learn with my players and I learn with my best opponents. I learn with my players’ problems, my players’ doubts, my players’ qualities and I learn with my best opponent, with the problems they give me – the way they make me think, the way they make me analyse them and studying the best way to play against them. Steven Gerrard is for sure one of my favourite enemies – an enemy with all the good feeling I can express with that word in football. For sure, in England he is my dear enemy. For sure, he is the one that made me a better manager. To stop him or try and stop him has been very, very difficult. I tried to bring him to Chelsea, I tried to bring him to Inter, I tried to bring him to Real Madrid but he was always a dear enemy. I want to honour him and I hope Stamford Bridge has the same feeling as I have, which is we need people like him as our opponents.

Last edited:
Bobby Charlton?
Great player: not in my top 5.

See also: Denis Law, Jim Baxter, Dave Mackay, Danny Blanchflower, Jimmy Johnstone, Martin Peters, Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan, Graeme Souness, Glenn Hoddle, Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Ryan Giggs, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney, Gareth Bale...

Probably Gazza was the most talented but the others were stronger mentally, hence the longevity with their careers. Gazza could do things that none of them could do on the pitch that's why he is held in such high regard, especially from Gers fans as we saw him when he was almost back to his best and clear of injuries. What a sight to behold that was.

Gerrard wasn't even that well liked, on here. Nor, were Liverpool.

He never, ever won a 'Gerrard, Lampard or Scholes' poll. There were numerous, over the years on FF. He won one, within weeks of joining us.

The small minded on here tend to think that Liverpool = Celtic for some bizarre reason.

FWIW I've always thought it's a toss up between Lampard and Gerrard and have them both in front of Scholes.

I remember for England some managers actually tried to play Scholes out wide to accommodate everyone. Mental.

Gazza was more naturally talented but all 3 of those players had better and more successful careers at a higher level. Difficult to argue otherwise I think.

The small minded on here tend to think that Liverpool = Celtic for some bizarre reason.

FWIW I've always thought it's a toss up between Lampard and Gerrard and have them both in front of Scholes.

I remember for England some managers actually tried to play Scholes out wide to accommodate everyone. Mental.
Scholes was easily the best of that bunch.

Back