Gazza v Gerrard

Love Gerrard and everything but what does a bunch of quotes from his ex team mates and managers really add to the debate? Especially when most of them are merely pointing out that he was a top player, which everyone already knows.

The small minded on here tend to think that Liverpool = Celtic for some bizarre reason.

FWIW I've always thought it's a toss up between Lampard and Gerrard and have them both in front of Scholes.

I remember for England some managers actually tried to play Scholes out wide to accommodate everyone. Mental.
Gerrard was always shifted to left midfield for England.

Gerrard was much better, for me. By a distance. Lampard was a great attacking mid.

Each to their own.

Scholes was easily the best of that bunch.

I'm not surprised.

Still don't know why some here have got so worked up just because I rate Gerrard as a better player (overall - not more talented and there is a difference) and questioned whether he made the most of his ability in his career. He was great, he could have been beyond that. That's all I'm saying.

Gerrard was always shifted to left midfield for England.

Gerrard was much better, for me. By a distance. Lampard was a great attacking mid.

Each to their own.

Think that does a disservice to Lampard to just call him a great attacking midfielder to be fair.

He's the best goal scoring midfielder of his generation. He was also a super player even without his goals.

Think that does a disservice to Lampard to just call him a great attacking midfielder to be fair.

He's the best goal scoring midfielder of his generation. He was also a super player even without his goals.
Fantastic player.

Each to their own.

I'm not surprised.

Still don't know why some here have got so worked up just because I rate Gerrard as a better player (overall - not more talented and there is a difference) and questioned whether he made the most of his ability in his career. He was great, he could have been beyond that. That's all I'm saying.
No you were highly disrespectful to a rangers legend and how you have actually survived so long after your comments is baffling,having a opinion is one thing but you overstepped that privilege from your first post I quoted,attention seeker at best

Out of all I'd say Gerrard was the most complete in that he could do everything. Scholes was the best technically and the only one of the three that could really control the tempo of a game, the same way that a Xavi and Pirlo could. Lampard wasn't as good as Scholes or as complete as Gerrard but in terms of goals from midfield he's way ahead of the other two.

No you were highly disrespectful to a rangers legend and how you have actually survived so long after your comments is baffling,having a opinion is one thing but you overstepped that privilege from your first post I quoted,attention seeker at best

Tell me how it's disrespectful? For a start it's not like Gascoigne will see anything that I write to be offended. But beyond that all I said that he was thick (if you're deeply offended by that then you have genuine issues) and that he has himself to blame for not having the career his talent deserved through poor choices off the field basically.

Tell me how it's disrespectful? For a start it's not like Gascoigne will see anything that I write to be offended. But beyond that all I said that he was thick (if you're deeply offended by that then you have genuine issues) and that he has himself to blame for not having the career his talent deserved through poor choices off the field basically.
Quote thick as pigs shit and mentality week"
What do you actually do for a living what is your annual salary ,that might determine if you are thick as pig shit

On natural footballing ability there's no debate to be had, it's Gazza. I don't know if there's been any England player as talented as he was.

Career and achievement wise it would obviously be Gerrard.

Gerrard far better than Lampard and Scholes for me, always thought this too not just since he became our manager.

When you look at what some folk get sin binned for on here you’ve got to wonder how some random scouser has managed to get away with slinging insults at bears and insulting a Rangers legend simultaneously. Even leaving that to the side for a moment, the sheer stupidity of attempting to argue about it when he’s not even old enough to have even seen one of them play is more than enough reason for folk to be quickly fed up with him.

Yet after slinging insults, disrespecting Gazza and playground backchat he’s still giving it “what did I do wrong?”.

When you look at what some folk get sin binned for on here you’ve got to wonder how some random scouser has managed to get away with slinging insults at bears and insulting a Rangers legend simultaneously. Even leaving that to the side for a moment, the sheer stupidity of attempting to argue about it when he’s not even old enough to have even seen one of them play is more than enough reason for folk to be quickly fed up with him.

Yet after slinging insults, disrespecting Gazza and playground backchat he’s still giving it “what did I do wrong?”.

Christ. Get over yourself you numpty. I won't post here again if it genuinely bothers you that much so nobody has to ban anybody, which is what you've been fishing for, for days now. You absolute sad act. I pity you.

Christ. Get over yourself you numpty. I won't post here again if it genuinely bothers you that much so nobody has to ban anybody, which is what you've been fishing for, for days now. You absolute sad act. I pity you.

If I wanted to fish for your ban I’d have simply reported your posts. You can start pitying me and calling me a “sad act” when I spend hours arguing about players Ive never watched on the forum of a club I don’t support, otherwise you should focus that pity inward and think about self awareness before digging yourself deeper.

I'm not surprised.

You're not surprised by what?

I think gerrard was obviously a more driven and harder worker than gazza ,watched what he ate and was never really in the news for anything other than his ability ,he wanted to be the best and he worked at it until he was ,Gazza had nowhere near that work rate but crucially he had the god given talent on the pitch which he knew he had and maybe that’s why he wasn’t as driven or wasn’t as hard working and disciplined with his lifestyle ,he knew he had the gift already he didn’t have to work to reach it ,if it’s based on talent then it’s Gazza ,but over the course of 15 yrs or so you’d maybe have stevie g in there for his mentality and discipline .

For me it is Gazza all day long.

During Gerrard's peak although a world class player, he was not universally accepted as the best of the time. Him, Lampard, Scholes, etc. could all claim to be the best CM in England at the time.

During Gazza's peak, albeit for a shorter period, who could claim to be better? The country stopped during Italia 90 largely down to Gazza. Channel 4 started showing Italian football and people watched it largely down to Gazza going to Lazio. When he came to us half the fuckin country dyed their hair ( myself included )

Gazza was bigger than football and I still can't believe he was ours for a while !

Back