Gazza's iconic moments

DJ Blue

Don't think the BBC have much to write about today - 5 stories about Gazza on the front footie page. (feared the worst when i seen the pictures)

Their top 10 moments - only him getting booked by the Ref includes Rangers.

For me his Hat trick to win the league should be there or even playing the flute.

The header at Ibrox to win 2-0 in the 9 in a row season was an iconic celebration picture.

Was on my son's bedroom wall for years.

Incredible that the Rangers moment they chose is Gazza being booked and not him scoring a hat trick to win the league, him scoring a double to win the cup or him cleaning up the Player of the Year awards in 1995/96.

Farcical.

I hate how the English media try and airbrush Gazza's time with us like it never happened.

Spent his best years at Rangers so it’s weird they omit his actual playing career here to focus on some tinpottery.

To be honest, I think his absolute peak as a player was his last couple of years at Spurs.

Spent his best years at Rangers so it’s weird they omit his actual playing career here to focus on some tinpottery.

I'm disagreeing with that.

The Gazza at Spurs before his self inflicted moment of madness v Notts Forest in 1991 may have been a better player than Brian Laudrup.

The Gazza we got in 1995, without disputing his true brilliance, and ability was not.

I love the guy. I will love this man till the day I die.

But we never got the best years out of him.

Very possibly Walter Smith conjured up the best of what was left in the guy, but I wish we had seen him in his pomp.

He'd have been up there with Baxter.

Incredible that the Rangers moment they chose is Gazza being booked and not him scoring a hat trick to win the league, him scoring a double to win the cup or him cleaning up the Player of the Year awards in 1995/96.

Farcical.

Sadly the booking incident is more what he’s remembered for down south (as regards his time with us) rather than anything he did on the pitch, that got more coverage than any of the things you mention.

Bit of an aside, but I once saw a clip of Gazza sitting on Albertz’s knee and posing for a photo whilst the players were on the pitch getting their official team profile pics done, then proceeding to pull the chair away when Iain Ferguson was up for his. Fergie ended up on his arse.

I’ve never been able to find this clip anywhere. Has anyone got it or can at least confirm that it exists and it wasn’t some weird dream I had?

Bit of an aside, but I once saw a clip of Gazza sitting on Albertz’s knee and posing for a photo whilst the players were on the pitch getting their official team profile pics done, then proceeding to pull the chair away when Iain Ferguson was up for his. Fergie ended up on his arse.

I’ve never been able to find this clip anywhere. Has anyone got it or can at least confirm that it exists and it wasn’t some weird dream I had?

23 minutes in.

I’ve seen this. Might have been on an outtakes video the club released 97/98? Was presented by Andy Cameron.

Cheers SDF. That must have been some dressing room to be a part of. Am I right in thinking Gazza’s best mate whilst with us was Alan McLaren?

I believe so mate. Gazza helped organise getting players to turn out for McLaren's testimonial/

Sadly, that just isn’t true.

At his peak - pre injuries around ‘91 - he probably was one of the best three or four players in the world. That’s why he moved to Serie A and not Scotland.

When he did sign for us he was seen as a risk and someone who hadn’t really fulfilled his potential, both through injuries and his own self destructive urges.

Aston Villa were the only English club with any serious interest in signing him back then, which says a lot about how he was perceived.

We certainly didn’t sign a hasbeen though, despite the English media typically downplaying his time with us.

That he was still a mainstay of England’s Euro 96 squad tells us that much.

I'm disagreeing with that.

The Gazza at Spurs before his self inflicted moment of madness v Notts Forest in 1991 may have been a better player than Brian Laudrup.

The Gazza we got in 1995, without disputing his true brilliance, and ability was not.

I love the guy. I will love this man till the day I die.

But we never got the best years out of him.

Very possibly Walter Smith conjured up the best of what was left in the guy, but I wish we had seen him in his pomp.

He'd have been up there with Baxter.
Baxter was before my time; whilst I agree with much of your post, Gascoigne was still the best player I've ever seen play for Rangers.

Back