General Meeting: Club 1872

Ah but Chris was only running a few figures on a few spreadsheets.

@Robert Marshall if there is an accusation against Chris then please lay it out here.

Any one who is being asked for details to back this needs details; I am not Chris' biggest fan but I know he'd do anything he could to back the club. He's an aspirational person and why shouldn't he be.

I will ask for professionals to volunteer for six months then we can vote a new Board in a free and open election with he principle of one member one vote
So you’ll decide who is in charge for 6 months? Or am I misunderstanding?

Any early indications of who these individuals will be?

Cancelled my membership with them last month.
Fed up of all the crap and squabbling.
Current regime 100% need to step aside or at least new open elections should be held.

I will ask for professionals to volunteer for six months then we can vote a new Board in a free and open election with he principle of one member one vote
I met with Laura Fawkes two or three years ago and offered to assist and help.
Having been in business for over 25 years and had recently sold my company , i had spare time and possibly money to put in.
Add in the business expertise.
I was not impressed, very amateurish.
Still awaiting the phone call/ email.

No idea as yet but people have approached me
I will not be a Director, temporary or otherwise
I think its pretty important to know who we’ll have running the organisation if this was to happen, even if it is only for 6 months.

Who is this shadowy figure in the background?
43522743-9625877-image-a-18-1622125769597.jpg

I think its pretty important to know who we’ll have running the organisation if this was to happen, even if it is only for 6 months.
People that will be open with the members will be the first undertaking they will have to give
Or we could leave these three in charge of everything

I’ve no idea of Chris’ involvement or otherwise; only really what I read on here and what I guess myself based on C1872’s evident priorities and where is has focussed its energy. But that’s not the issue for me. The issue is that governance appears to be totally broken.

The maximum number of directors has been cut, to a level that allows the three existing directors to act in concert and control it. It essentially renders these current elections moot.

Allegations have been made about the conduct of the directors, and those directors have avoided even acknowledging the allegations, let alone allowing any scrutiny of their conduct.

The directors appear to have abused Schedule 3 of the articles to bar candidates they don’t personally like. I‘ve no dog in a fight between Mark and those directors, but members should have the right to elect or not anyone, not have the directors judge their suitability. They’ve also made allegations of misconduct against another former director, using them to eject her but without providing specifics of those allegations so that members can judge.

C1872 has egregiously failed on many, if not most, of its original promises. It has dedicated almost zero energy or resources to the things it was set up to do. It’s broken, ineffective and a source of division, rather than unity.

Whether Chris Graham is involved in an unelected capacity or not doesn’t change the fact C1872 needs to change. If he is involved in an unelected capacity then he shouldn’t be, no matter the motives for his involvement and no matter what good he may be doing.
That’s a very fair post.

I’ve never understood the animosity from some to Chris. He always fought our corner, spoke well and obviously played a big part in helping the good guys over the line to rid us of the spivs. I think we should be eternally grateful for that. I found the recent digs on Twitter after the publication of the CSA report (presumably aimed at David Graham) very disappointing but nobody’s perfect.

As you say though, Chris is a sideshow here. The issue is governance and if any of what Stuart McQuarrie is saying is true we really do have a problem.

The day the Club 1872 Board went ahead with the King share purchase scheme without consulting the members was the day that ultimately did for them (only a matter of time before their fate is sealed one way or another).

The was the day I cancelled and vowed to have nothing more to do with Club 1872.

It was outrageous to make a decision of that magnitude without consulting paying subscribers.

Away to PM details to the OP.

That’s a very fair post.

I’ve never understood the animosity from some to Chris. He always fought our corner, spoke well and obviously played a big part in helping the good guys over the line to rid us of the spivs. I think we should be eternally grateful for that. I found the recent digs on Twitter after the publication of the CSA report (presumably aimed at David Graham) very disappointing but nobody’s perfect.

As you say though, Chris is a sideshow here. The issue is governance and if any of what Stuart McQuarrie is saying is true we really do have a problem.
it is true

it is true
Fair enough. I’ve no way of knowing definitely.

The account certainly seemed credible to me and if even parts of it are correct Club 1872 has a problem internally. That’s a real shame because I’m pretty sure everybody involved will work hard and think they’re doing the right thing.

They’re good people getting it wrong in my opinion.

No idea as yet but people have approached me
I will not be a Director, temporary or otherwise
That’s the difficulty you will have. How do you replace the people in charge with other folk, potentially unelected without many people shouting fix.

I can imagine the mudslinging will be off the scale no matter who potentially sits in the seat.

I love the idea of the fans having a sizeable share in the club as a block. I’d love for it to grow massively. Unfortunately this again shows that fan ownership of the club should never happen and c1872 shouldn’t have a place on the rangers board.

Thanks for starting the ball rolling on this Robert, much appreciated
I'll message you tomorrow with the details of the members I know are unhappy with the current situation and will support a vote of no confidence

That’s the difficulty you will have. How do you replace the people in charge with other folk, potentially unelected without many people shouting fix.

I can imagine the mudslinging will be off the scale no matter who potentially sits in the seat.

I love the idea of the fans having a sizeable share in the club as a block. I’d love for it to grow massively. Unfortunately this again shows that fan ownership of the club should never happen and c1872 shouldn’t have a place on the rangers board.
The only people that will be throwing mud will be the people not happy it's getting sorted, allegedly

That is incredibly unsettling reading. Can I ask what Laura Fawkes and Euan MacFarlane do in their professional lives, to warrant election to these board positions, and to wield the power they seek?

I can't find any note of Laura Fawkes on LinkedIn, and there are a number of Euan MacFarlanes so unsure which person it is.

Edit: I found small bios on Club1872 website. Nothing in there suggests Laura Fawkes be capable of holding such a role. Euan MacFarlane's profile suggests a senior position professionally, but his job title means very different scopes of responsibility in many organisations. One thing for sure, however, is he wot be responsible for any governance or running of the business he's employed by.

Last edited:
Club 1872 was formed on a one member one vote organisation, it is now basically controlled by three board members aided and abetted by a figure in the background
I want the control back to the members with a Board that is open and transparent
Quite often I completely disagree with your posts.
That said, I've never denied your love for our club.

I had issues with the governance by the same people when they were at the trust, and it fell on deaf ears.

Hopefully enough people can see the bigger picture here, your love for our club, and the need to change the same faces and their self interest.

Petty infighting, squabbling on internet message boards and guys who haven’t attended Ibrox using there own wages for years - If the ‘professional’ element of our support were half as good as they thought they were this would have been tied up years ago.

C1872 as a fan ownership Hub is an embarrassment to Rangers Football Club but more importantly an embarrassment to the support as a whole. One says black the other says white one says sugar the other says shite.

Good luck with this Robert, unfortunately can only see it ending one way and that’s another decade of flak. Other ways of getting money into Rangers these days than this pie in the sky fan ownership.

I'm not a member of C1872 therefore my own views are not relevant in terms of the change. Thats for those that paid in etc.

However having been to meetings over the years of hell as an RSC along with helping out during those tougher years for the club. The one thing that stands consistent.

Are there any positive organisation to look after the clubs best interests for the fans? Why does it always end in effectively hidden agendas and really it seems what it always comes back to is getting the best blue pound out of the support.

It does appear a big circle of question marks over folk and being trustworthy to represent the support (keeping that connection between the support and the club).

You can understand why people just want to take a step back and not get involved (I include myself in that).

I’m not an advocate of C1872 having a seat on the Board. I wouldn’t be averse to it, but I am cynical about the motives of anyone who thinks it is a “must”.

I’m also not an advocate of “fan ownership of the club” to the extent that a members organisation has a majority shareholding. Like it or not, football is a business and needs to be run as such.

I do however think it is important that the mass of the support have a meaningful ownership stake in RIFC, so that we can protect it and so that the executives have to acknowledge us not just as customers but as crucial stakeholders. I think that has meaningful benefits for the club as well as the company. We came very very close to losing the club in the last decade; I want us to have tight hold of it.

Last edited:

How many folk do you know, who are members of club 1872 who have a problem with the details of the Castore deal?
I know of 2 from 100's. They are 2 of the 3 left on the board of 1872 as far as I'm aware.

That's the tip of the iceberg. What input do any of us have?
Who was consulted on King's shares being bought?
One person, one vote?

I'm not talking about how they spend loose change, but I'd suggest anything over 100k should be put to a vote. It could be £500,000.

But....
I've just mentioned 2 subjects I'm aware of that could cost the organisation well over £1,000,000 each and up to 5 times that, yet not a single member was consulted.

Given the fact that anyone upset with that was forced to resign and state their position after legal advice, it isn't pretty and change is needed.

I'm not a member of C1872 therefore my own views are not relevant in terms of the change. Thats for those that paid in etc.

However having been to meetings over the years of hell as an RSC along with helping out during those tougher years for the club. The one thing that stands consistent.

Are there any positive organisation to look after the clubs best interests for the fans? Why does it always end in effectively hidden agendas and really it seems what it always comes back to is getting the best blue pound out of the support.

It does appear a big circle of question marks over folk and being trustworthy to represent the support (keeping that connection between the support and the club).

You can understand why people just want to take a step back and not get involved (I include myself in that).

Do the board members get a salary from C1872?

If so, that’ll answer your questions above and makes more sense as to why they’re looking after their own interests

I certainly have issues with the current governance of C1872, but a vote of no confidence in the existing board, with no specifics on who will replace them even on an interim basis, is asking people to take a bit of a blind leap of faith is it not?

I am not a member, so take this with a pinch of salt;

Would it not be better to list at least one or two of the proposed solution(s). Name, credentials, aims etc.

That might give people a chance to gauge the improvements that could be sought.

That’s a very fair post.

A Minister isn’t likely to go on record and lie so it’s fair to sayI would believe Stewart. He has stated FACTS as well as opinions. This Boarc have re-written the constitution to ensure they are in control.
Even if 2 new people are elected they will always be outvoted.

A Minister isn’t likely to go on record and lie so it’s fair to sayI would believe Stewart. He has stated FACTS as well as opinions. This Boarc have re-written the constitution to ensure they are in control.
Even if 2 new people are elected they will always be outvoted.
And IMO it is fundamentally wrong and not Democratic

I have read what a few are saying on here about a temporary board
Once I get the required amount to call a GM then I will ask people to come forward so that everyone knows who they are
My intention is not to involve anyone who has been on any previous fans boards
That’s a mistake Robert.There have been plenty of good people on Fans Boards. You run the risk of people who have failed to be elected in the past being allowed to stand yet some good people wouldn’t.
Thats not right

That’s a mistake Robert.There have been plenty of good people on Fans Boards. You run the risk of people who have failed to be elected in the past being allowed to stand yet some good people wouldn’t.
Thats not right
The point is that it is temporary and hopefully we can have a free and transparent election open to all ( except me lol )

Looks to me like a salvage job to try and save the candidates that Club 1872 want on the Board

Possibly.

I liked the emphasis on being prepared to step back and prioritise the buying of club-issued shares, though.

That said, don’t want to derail your thread.

You efforts to bring much-needed change to Club 1872 are what’s important here.

Dave King not happy with the candidates.

King saying much the same as some fans on the thread the other day. Malcolm Murray should be no where near any fan group given he was involved in Green’s board

He’s tainted.

Ah but Chris was only running a few figures on a few spreadsheets.

@Robert Marshall if there is an accusation against Chris then please lay it out here.

Any one who is being asked for details to back this needs details; I am not Chris' biggest fan but I know he'd do anything he could to back the club. He's an aspirational person and why shouldn't he be.
Well I can only speak for myself, but when we started RF it cost our family £12K in expenses over the 18/24 months that it took to get it sorted
I never took a penny in expenses from RF, none of us did
My problem with Chris is the way he has operated, being paid to basically run Club 1872 from the Shadows while not declaring it to the members
Sitting in meetings which he had no right to attend unless invited by Club 1872, and if he was why weren't the members told
I have never really bothered about being popular but I would have done the job for nothing, but not in the background
Club 1872 have been guilty of covering up Chris's involvement and the fact he was paid by a third party, it's irrelevant who paid him, the problem was and is that they hid it from the members

Do the board members get a salary from C1872?

If so, that’ll answer your questions above and makes more sense as to why they’re looking after their own interests
They are not meant to take a salary ( I don't think expenses either ) but who knows what is going on, not the members

Back