Genk sign 20 y/o Colombian CB Carlos Cuesta

How does this 80% of his rights work out?

I always thought arrangements like this were not allowed by FIFA.

Don't know the specifics for this deal but usually it is a way for the player to make money on the deal. When he signed for Atletico he will be on a smaller wage knowing that if he does well he (the family, the agent etc....) will get a cut of any deal.

As above, work permits!
Surely were EU so all the same rules apply from a migration sense. Also surely Belgium struggle with getting decent TV money competing with France/Holland/Germany and the EPL money machine, that's some outlay regardless of potential... probably just jealous mind you!

Cuesta officially signs for Genk:

D-p15Q2XsAAUTiF.jpg:large

“Genk are famously the club that produced some of Belgium's biggest stars including Kevin De Bruyne, Thibaut Courtois, Yannick Carrasco and Divock Origi, but they have managed to remain competitive despite these major player sales”

Clearly a well ran team with a cracking scouting network or youth development.

Apparently, Genk are also signing Ianis Hagi. Would be quite a coup if they got him with all the speculation where he could have gone. Talk of a €10m fee - sounds a lot for them, but who knows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ianis_Hagi

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nieuws...-fc-viitorul-zou-op-weg-zijn-naar-racing-genk
Think it’s a done deal to Spartak Moscow for Hagi, unless it’s fallen through. But reports in Russia are pretty sure he’s done and dusted

Last edited:
I was reading somewhere Barca are signing him and will loan him straight out?

I read that they had made a bid for him.

I've no idea to the veracity of the article above but there is a lot of talk from journos that he is signing for Genk.

Work permits not an issue then
Actually no, each EU country has it's own criteria for Residence/Citizenship explains why Ajax etc can get young South Americans/Africans into the country without the "must have played 75% of their countries last games" rule, I think that rule only applies to UK work permit applications, has been going on for as long as I can remember, Romario, The Original Ronaldo and so on...

Actually no, each EU country has it's own criteria for Residence/Citizenship explains why Ajax etc can get young South Americans/Africans into the country without the "must have played 75% of their countries last games" rule, I think that rule only applies to UK work permit applications, has been going on for as long as I can remember, Romario, The Original Ronaldo and so on...
The game in Scotland has suffered from this whilst the rest of Europe has reaped the benefits of picking up young players like this

The absolute state of Scottish football where Genk, the equivilant of hibs are spending 10m€

The backwater of hatred has reaped zero benefit from its current mentality.

The SPFL and SFA needs a drastic overhaul and fast

Back