Gennaro Gattuso to replace Carlo Ancelotti at Napoli

venturablue

Official Ticketer
Gennaro Gattuso will replace Carlo Ancelotti as Napoli head coach, according to Sky in Italy.

The 41-year-old is set to sign a six-month contract with the Serie A club, who will have the option to extend the deal by a further year.

Ancelotti was sacked on Tuesday night, just hours after leading Napoli into the last 16 of the Champions League with a 4-0 win over Genk.

Gennaro Gattuso played under Carlo Ancelotti at AC Milan
Image:
Gattuso and Ancelotti won two Champions Leagues and Serie A together at Milan
However, that was their first win in 10 matches and Ancelotti's relationship with club president Aurelio De Laurentiis had become strained this season.

Gattuso, who played under Ancelotti at AC Milan, is set to take Napoli training on Wednesday.

Ancelotti's firing is a real surprise. Immediately after a 4-0 CL win and qualification to the next round, and sitting third in Serie A, five points off the lead. I wonder what they expected of him, mid season?

How so m8?

In the way the Napoli are 7th and 17 points behind the leader.

You have apparently confused them with Lazio in terms of league position but Lazio are in the Europa League so they didn't have a 4-0 Champions League win and qualify for the next round m8.

Appointing Gattuso won't end well.

I can see Napoli nosediving if the likes of Koulibaly, Mertens and Insigne leave.

I never had Gattuso down as the managerial type, but he did a pretty good job at Milan and seems to be highly thought of in Italy.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on with their owner.

Best of luck to him in Naples.

Back