George Best at Hibs

Even though i was only in my teens, i remember thinking at the time that it was a strange move for him. He was undoubtedly finished as a player but thought he would have gone to an English club

Saw him a few times. Put thousands on the gate, probably paid his wages and more. He clearly got frustrated with the muppets he was playing with who couldn't anticipate his passes and didn't make the runs he wanted. He was well over the hill at Hibs, but still sat head and shoulders above anyone else.

A brilliant player and one of the greats.

To do what he done by 22 was amazing.

His other side to his life isnt flashy, being caught up in alcoholism and the relationships with family.

To lose his life in such a manner is sad. At 59 he should have been looking forward to relaxing.

Even though i was only in my teens, i remember thinking at the time that it was a strange move for him. He was undoubtedly finished as a player but thought he would have gone to an English club

His agent was Bill McMurdo and he was touting him all over the place getting him crowd bonuses etc. The very same Bill McMurdo brokered the deal that brought Mo to Ibrox. Davie Provan said in his newspaper column that if he was still playing he'd love McMurdo as his agent as he made his players fortunes. During this period I attended a game at Newlandsfield that George and Bill both played in. Place was mobbed and I reckon George was on a cut of the gate.

The Genius of George Lit up scottish football that's for sure, sadly gbnf, Tommy mclean was very lucky not to be sent off for that celebration... Needs to calm down

He was an absolute idol of mine, had the boots, and even a pair of shoes with a red sole that had his image on the sole. Play the Best way was compulsory viewing.
Seen him at Fir Park. I didn't know what to make of it. Gave me that sad feeling seeing big cats in captivity does.

I think I was at this game. The problem I have is I’m not really sure, possibly because there was a group of us that went to all the games then and being underage we were all ever so slightly tipsy having partaken of Carlsberg Special Brew. Classier times.

I was at the game at love Street shown in the first post. love street was mobbed. Angie Best was in the main stand just above us.

Were Hibs not relegated in the season he played with them? Sure that he only flew up on the morning of games, assuming he was sober enough to catch the flight. Based on the pictures above he didn’t look in any state to be playing for anyone.

Saw him playing v St Miren and was in absolute awe of seeing such a genius in the flesh.

Be in no doubt genius is certainly an overused plaudit but not in his case.

The game at Easter Rd before GB brought in 5,000.

GB's home debut and the crowd was 22,000.

He had one diagonal 40 yard pass against us at Ibrox in the March that zipped to a team mate and barely left the grass. A thing of beauty.

You’re correct about Best and Vsn Morrison but I believe Higgins was reared in the Sandy Row/Donegall Road area.
Correct. Best was from Creagh. Van was from Bloomfield. Higgins was South Belfast. All of them hated the scum. Allegedly.

You’re correct about Best and Vsn Morrison but I believe Higgins was reared in the Sandy Row/Donegall Road area.
I stand corrected bud. Do you think they ever met up for a wee swally.. A game of snooker.. A game of 3 byes.. And finally a wee singsong

I think I was at this game. The problem I have is I’m not really sure, possibly because there was a group of us that went to all the games then and being underage we were all ever so slightly tipsy having partaken of Carlsberg Special Brew. Classier times.
Snap!! I had been to my 1st ever works night out on the Friday (I was 17) & spent most of the game spewing up at the back of the terracing, seen about 15 mins of the game if I was lucky.:) Those were the days!!

Back