George Edmondson - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should be looking to loan him to the likes of Livingston, Hamilton or St Johnstone for the 2nd half of season.

He is still only 23 and has plenty potential. He is down the pecking order at the moment behind 3 top quality centre halves. Having signed from Oldham I'd still say its a massive step up joining Rangers even if its to mostly be a sub so I think he will be content for now.

He'll also be learning plenty from working with the likes of Helander & Goldson.

I think he has good potential and in a lot of other seasons he would be playing more but you simply cannot argue against the 3 central defenders we have been using when they have only conceded 4 goals in 17 games!

Probably didn’t help Edmundson that in his one league appearance he unfortunately scored one of those 4!

I think he is a bit down the pecking order now. I could actually see any 2 from 3 Goldson, Bala, Helander. Any two not available then Bassey drops in there.

There is such a thing as a "call back clause" ;-)
Any such clauses would be during transfer windows.

That wouldn't help us should we suffer injuries the weekend after any loan was agreed.

Until Katic is fit George won't be going anywhere.

Always liked the big fella, although he's still quite raw. I think he could have a promising future once he matures but he's probably spewing at the run we are on and not being involved.

Was it short sighted of Stevie not sending him out on loan to the English Championship (Coventry, Luton etc) in the last few months as he doesn't seem to be getting a sniff on a matchday squad never mind the starting eleven.
What would it take for Edmundson to be required immediately?
Katic is already out.
Goldson and Balogun now on a booking.
Won’t take too much to find one of them suspended for a game or two.
That means we need a centre back for the bench, at least.
For me, we need that fourth centre back and it may be that the Mayo lad is not ready to come into a major game.

In reality hes not good enough the reason we've been so good defensively is him and katic are nowhere near the first eleven its also the reason Goldson is performing so well not having to worry about what his defensive partner is doing as much that might sound harsh but it's true imo first team centre backs are a level up now

Reckon he’ll get minutes against Hamilton.

I think he’ll be disappointed he’s not playing but he knows the size of the club and is likely happy he’s here.

I think he's got a knock just now.

As things stand, he's a good bit down the pecking order but he's shown that he's got enough about him to be considered for development.

Showed up well enough in his first year. The 2nd season is always a bit harder. I'd be happy for him to get some cup games with us this year and if we still have the other four come the summer of 2021, the option to loan him to another SPFL side and further his development is there for us.

He's little more than a pathway blocker for Mayo and King at this stage.

When a player reaches 23 and isn't good enough to be playing at least semi regularly, they should be moved on asap.

Looks like he’s playing the long game and hoping it all comes good with regards to opportunities down the line. I don’t think it’ll work out for him as I’ve seen a few things in his game this season that make me think he won’t cut it. Attitude is A1 though so I’ve no doubt he’ll have a long career in football.

He's a good central defender but we have 3 outstanding central defenders that are better than him.

One injury or suspension and he's in our squad.

One injury and one suspension and he's starting.

Katic would be in exactly the same position, if fit.

He's fine.

You need 4 CBs - if you let him go, who do you think we could bring in as 4th choice? Our strength this season is the depth of the squad, why would we now want to undo that?

We've lost 4 goals in 17 games this season, he'll just have to wait his turn because the guys in front of him have been outstanding whilst he's played about 20 minutes and scored one of the goals.

He was 4th choice last year, and by the end of the season he was playing most games and doing well.

I don't understand the impatience of folk on this forum to move every player who is not a first team regular by the time they are 20.

In terms of CB’s he’s still really young, working with the first team every day, learning our style, our shape, learning from the other CB’s is only going to be good for his development long term

Think he still had a bright future here

Nowhere near the level we need? He had 1 poor game at tynecastle other than that he has been solid.

No, he was poor at Hamilton away last season. Awful in the the Nice game in the summer (having been very good against Lyon). Great in Braga then terrible a few days later.

Is there potential there? Probably. Would he be better served trying to unleash it elsewhere? Yes.

He's far too inconsistent to be regularly playing for Rangers in this critical season.

We already have 3 guys infront of him now, and with Katic to come back, and people excited about Mayo....there isn't really much benefit to any of the parties in George Edmondson staying at Ibrox really.

Helander has missed a number of games through injury.
Last night both Goldson and Balogun were booked.
It will be good to have him when injuries and suspensions kick in.
He will play a part,we would be short if he wasn’t there.
More than capable player.
Depends if the player sees his future as a bit part player though.

I've been impressed whenever I've seen him. Trust him a lot more in defence than Katic to be honest. Personally i'd hold onto Edmondson & try to sell Katic once he's fit

He cost peanuts, he’s on a comparatively small salary and his playing time is secondary to our need for cover at CB.

It’s absolutely the right thing to keep him here.

Have you seen who he’s training with, and being managed by? He’ll learn more here than playing for Doncaster, Carlisle or similar.

A weird worry to have OP.

I like the big fella. He has pace and power and we should try and slot him in wherever possible. He is up against it with Helander and Balogun in front of him but as others have said if one of these two get injured then he is a capable stand in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back