George Edmondson - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverblue

Official Ticketer
Always liked the big fella, although he's still quite raw. I think he could have a promising future once he matures but he's probably spewing at the run we are on and not being involved.

Was it short sighted of Stevie not sending him out on loan to the English Championship (Coventry, Luton etc) in the last few months as he doesn't seem to be getting a sniff on a matchday squad never mind the starting eleven.

Sadly i think the boy is done here, far too much competition in front of him.
It's a real shame for him.

We are only on CH injury away to him being rotated In the squad like Balogun. Katic will still be a bit away from coming into the team.

Exactly this. He may well still have a key role to play this season if we pick up a knock or two, he can’t do that from down south.

we need 4 cbs
we only have 4 fit senior ones so no chance he was going to leave

no need to rush katic back

within a few years i could see Katic and Edmundson as the CB pairing

Helander has missed a number of games through injury.
Last night both Goldson and Balogun were booked.
It will be good to have him when injuries and suspensions kick in.
He will play a part,we would be short if he wasn’t there.
More than capable player.

Always liked the big fella, although he's still quite raw. I think he could have a promising future once he matures but he's probably spewing at the run we are on and not being involved.

Was it short sighted of Stevie not sending him out on loan to the English Championship (Coventry, Luton etc) in the last few months as he doesn't seem to be getting a sniff on a matchday squad never mind the starting eleven.
I would loan him out to another SPL club and make them more competitive and he can’t play against us .

I can see him going out on loan once Katic is back. Very decent defender and you'd think the club seem him as a longer term replacement once those ahead of him move on.

He’s a good squad player, especially considering the injuries we’ve already had in that area.

Lennon is starting to find out why you shouldn’t go into the season with only 3 seniors centre backs in your squad (bizarre considering he wanted to play 3 at the back)

He's not in the euro squad so if they were to get suspended its only Helander and I guess Bassey can fill in there. Domestically I agree he will be good cover if required.

I do think if Mayo does well at Dunfermline and progresses the way he is then I suspect Edmundson and Katic might well be sold next summer. Think we have another year option on Balogun as well at the end of the season so decisions will have to be made.

He isn't the level of our other centre halfs but, for now, is a cracking fourth choice. That's about the measure of it.

He will be learning everyday from guys like Helander and Goldson who are levels above him but that comes with experience.

Reactions: TQ3

More than capable of stepping in if needed. At the beginning of the season we didn't know when/if Helander would be fit. He's come back like a new signing and Balogun has slotted in as well. We're always an injury or suspension away from a crisis though if we only have three senior centre halves.

We have a long season still to play and we may be fighting on numerous fronts, the more players the better.
We will hit suspensions and injuries and that's not taking into account Covid-19 which will affect us at some point, we need all the CH we have.
Remember Goldson & Balogun picked up yellows last night, not sure how close they are to be suspended for UEFA Cup games but we need back up and good options, which we have.

If we get dross in the cup he will play i think. Also injuries covid and suspensions may hinder us. He will play at some point.

He looks a decent enough prospect and comfortable on the ball so I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Reckon he’ll get minutes against Hamilton.

I think he’ll be disappointed he’s not playing but he knows the size of the club and is likely happy he’s here.

Sure he is 4th choice, but he isn’t daft, he will know that his time will come. He is watching this defence, and they aren’t even allowing shots on target, never mind clean sheets. As above injuries and suspensions will give him his chance, and he has to be ready.

Said last night so think once Katic is for he will be moved on.

Balogun will get an extended deal as he is an upgrade and would mean we have 4 quality centre halves going forward.

The dilemma is that he needs to develop ... he can only develop if he is playing games ... unless we get some suspensions and injuries to 2 players at the same time ... he will never play

Im not saying that the above scenario wont happen because it very likely will, but he will only play 5 or 6 games a season based on that and the development he needs wont happen

With Mayo coming through, we could have 6 CB’s next season, when really 4 is the number SG is probably looking to go with. Goldson, Helander and Balogun are the now, Katic, George and Mayo are the potential future. He’ll need to strike a balance which will be hard to do. Goldson maybe moving on if he doesn’t sign a new contract with Mayo going on loan? Ideally it’d be good to send Mayo on a 2 year loan to a decent team and give him time to bed in, develop and become the player we’d be biting another teams hand off to sign for £2m+ in a couple years time.

This.

Big gorgeous George will play his part at some point.

He's the CB version of Docherty or McCorie. We are Rangers..sometimes even good players don't make it here.

Balogun has probably exceeded expectations which hasn’t helped Edmundson’s cause

I suspect either him or Katic will be moved on in the summer

I think he would have went on loan had Katic not got injured. If can Katic is fit by end of January I can see Edmondson going out on loan. He will get chances though as an injury to any cb and he's back in the squad

I can certainly see him playing cup matches and some SPFL games if players need a rest or there are injuries/suspensions.
He has shown he has a good option and no doubt continues to learn from training alongside Goldson Balogun and Helander.

Part of the 4 man cb squad this season, but nowhere near the level we need. A loan down south next season followed by a permanent move.

Seems he’s not rated by our manager
He’s rated lower than the first choice guys, and validly so.

Why would we go to great lengths to build a competitive squad, and then loan players back out leaving ourselves short?

It’s well known and recognised our strength in depth after the first 11 was a weakness previously - now we are benching full internationals. That’s what we must have to be winning stuff in May.

I think Balogun will get another years contract so either Edmundson or Katic will go out on loan next season. Edmundson is needed in the squad for this season though and he’ll still play a part at times.

I’m not sure Mayo comes into the equation yet. Hopefully he has a very good season at Dunfermline but could see another loan for him next season, hopefully in top flight like Robby McCrorie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back