George Edmundson leaves

Simpson was excellent a couple of of superb through balls and never looked in any bother.
Yes, he looked good today.

I am sorry to see big George leaving, but I guess he did his own legs last season.
I wish him all the best as I actually liked him.

The problem is that if it is Rangers who are pushing him out the door then we could find ourselves liable to pay up some, or all, of the remainder of his contract which would pretty much offset any transfer fee received. Probably just getting rid of a wage with no real return in the way of a transfer fee.

The problem is that if it is Rangers who are pushing him out the door then we could find ourselves liable to pay up some, or all, of the remainder of his contract which would pretty much offset any transfer fee received. Probably just getting rid of a wage with no real return in the way of a transfer fee.
I don’t think any club ever have sold a player AND paid him the rest of his contract.

Good luck big man, we took a chance on you and you played for the famous Glasgow Rangers.
We have moved on since then and you need to too.
Thanks for what you gave when you wore the blue jersey and I am sure you will only have good things to say about Rangers in the future.
Keep your head down, work hard and you will be a success

I don’t think any club ever have sold a player AND paid him the rest of his contract.
No i have to disagree. If you are a contracted player on a miilion a year with 2 years left on your contract and another team comes in for you offering 10 million and the club you are contracted to want (or need) that money and want to push the transfer through then you as the contracted player would be quite with in your rights to demand some sort of payment in lieu of the remaininder of your contract. Off course, in this scenario, 10 million in to 2 million out, the selling club would still benefit.

If it's true, Derby would surely be the obvious one.. maybe even a clause within the loan deal?

Either way wish him well, made a mistake obv with the valentines date/meal/party.. lol whatever it was. Unfair to hold that against him, & obv hasn't been since Jones has been featuring.

But we have plenty cover, & he's not chapping any of their doors for a place.

No i have to disagree. If you are a contracted player on a miilion a year with 2 years left on your contract and another team comes in for you offering 10 million and the club you are contracted to want (or need) that money and want to push the transfer through then you as the contracted player would be quite with in your rights to demand some sort of payment in lieu of the remaininder of your contract. Off course, in this scenario, 10 million in to 2 million out, the selling club would still benefit.
No they dont mate, the only way that happens is if the contract is cancelled by mutual consent, that normally means a payoff has been agreed. Having a longer contract actually gains you a bigger transfer fee.

If you can find one, then I’ll agree.
It just doesn’t happen. Clubs who buy players agree a fee. The contract is ended and a new one begins.
If that was the norm, players would be taking two payments every time they transferred.
One to end a contract and a second to start one. Just doesn’t happen.

What's that got to do with Edmundson? You're the only person who has suggested we're buying out his contract. We've actually turned down bids for him in this window, so clubs - who can afford to match what we pay him - are interested.

Scum "newspaper" flying a kite
Have picked up a lead and trying to claim an exclusive - Let's wait and see if and where the big guy goes

To be honest he is better away for all parties interests

If it's true, Derby would surely be the obvious one.. maybe even a clause within the loan deal?

Either way wish him well, made a mistake obv with the valentines date/meal/party.. lol whatever it was. Unfair to hold that against him, & obv hasn't been since Jones has been featuring.

But we have plenty cover, & he's not chapping any of their doors for a place.
I'm sure I read that Derby are under a partial embargo and are only allowed to sign free transfers , So if true id doubt its them

No they dont mate, the only way that happens is if the contract is cancelled by mutual consent, that normally means a payoff has been agreed. Having a longer contract actually gains you a bigger transfer fee.
I still disagree. A long contract will only get you a bigger fee if the player wants to move. If you are a contracted player you do not need to go anywhere if you do not want to you can just hang it out in the reserves or whatever (the stand) and take your money until your contract expires. Hence what I am saying, the selling club will try to sweeten the move by offering an incentive to go ie some, or all, of the remainder of the contract. Generally, this will still benefit the selling club as the incoming transfer will, in most cases, exceed the pay off.

The opposite scenario is where a player asks for a transfer in which case he has no claim on the remainder of his wages and this is why some clubs hold out for a player to request a transfer rather than trying to force it through from their side.

Last edited:
Good luck to the lad. Just wasn’t of the level required. The more in the same boat, also need moved on.

Barker and Jones (especially) to name some.

What's that got to do with Edmundson? You're the only person who has suggested we're buying out his contract. We've actually turned down bids for him in this window, so clubs - who can afford to match what we pay him - are interested.
I fully understand what you and everyone else is saying but just because a club may bid for a player it does not mean that the player will agree to move. Look at Edmundson as a prime example. It is most likely that wherever he goes he will be taking a pay cut. Perhaps he doesn't want to reduce his wages so he says no I'm going to stay and fight for a place but Rangers want his salary of the wage bill so they agree a sweetener to move him on. You're telling me that doesn't happen?

Yes I agree on both points but this thread was in relation to big George and that wasnt the case with him. If we had to pay him off we would have waited until the end of the transfer window as this would allow you to receive more potential offers therefore offsetting the amount you pay if you get bigger offers. To let him go now if he wants a payoff would make no sense unless the buying club were paying considerably more than we paid.

Such a shame. I thought the big man had the potential to be a great defender. I remember in one of his first games he pinged a long diagonal inch perfect and thought oh ho we've got a player here but his moment of madness has cost him during this pandemic. Wish the big guy all the best wherever he goes.

Back