George Edmundson

Midfield General

I know the opposition wasn't up to much yesterday but I thought big George was excellent in the air and on the ground with his tackling and range of passing.What also impressed me was his speed across the ground.I think this is an area where our other Centre Halves are slightly lacking.The mhanks have pace from middle to front,I would be tempted to put him in for this one.i know it could be seen as a gamble due to his lack of big game experience but I think he could handle it.

not suggesting we change anything of our current set up, but it must be said other Helander being an excellent CB his pace is his worst attribute. Hearts playing that small and fast CF in the semi probably shows this was a weakness they saw, and he beat him to the ball a couple times, only he done feck all with it won he won it.

I know the opposition wasn't up to much yesterday but I thought big George was excellent in the air and on the ground with his tackling and range of passing.What also impressed me was his speed across the ground.I think this is an area where our other Centre Halves are slightly lacking.The mhanks have pace from middle to front,I would be tempted to put him in for this one.i know it could be seen as a gamble due to his lack of big game experience but I think he could handle it.

I like the way he let the youngsters come over to the Govan/Copland corner to take a bow to the fans ( was in govan) instead heading to the dugout. He played his part but it was the colts day.

Good on ye son.

He’s always looked good anytime I’ve seen him but I wouldn’t throw him in to make a new defensive partnership against the mentally challengeds. I don’t think goldson or helander deserve to be dropped either. Edmundson and katic just need to bide their time and will be 2 excellent centre backs for us when their time comes.

He's a young lad who can only get better. He's got every attribute going for him. I actually think playing in front of the back four is a role that he can do. IF Kamara leaves he can fill that void imo.

We already made mental changes for the 1st game against that mob at Ibrox and it failed ,lets stick with the team that has been on a winning run and just beat porto

Has the potential to be a top player from what we’ve seen but throwing in on cup final day would be an act of folly , imagine he made a crucial mistake it potentially be career ending.

It's great we're talking about this and long may it continue.

:) Katic and Goldson, Helander and Goldson. Katic and Edmundson. Helander and Katic. Sounds good to me.

I don't think Goldson is particularly slow - he's not Boumsong or Bougherra - but he's hardly Davie Weir.

Whilst Weir lacked pace, he had many great attributes; experience, excellent positional sense, read the game well, aerial presence, could break up play, tackle and knew when to step out of defence.

Exactly the attributes both Goldson and Helander posses (not saying they are better or worse than Weir). Both read the game well, both are commanding, both are comfortable with the ball at their feet. They can distribute the ball whether it's long or short, they can organise a defence and are strong in the challenge along with being a physical match for any one. For a player who many have concerns of being too slow, Helander sure manages to read the danger, step out of defence and stop play in wider areas.

Honest question. How often are either beat for pace?

Helander looked like he was beat for pace first half at the Tony Macaroni Stadium yet he still remained composed, got back into a position and stuck out last ditch leg which timed the challenge to perfection. He's great at that.

Both have been up against better sides than the bheggars and dealt with them.

Tavernier - Goldson - Helander - Barišić

Other than individual errors that has been a solid back four with good understanding, reading of the game, composure and balance. It's barely conceded a goal. It's been our rock over Feyenoord, Porto home and away, Livingston, Ross County and in a cup semi final.

Players with ability deal with a lack of pace. Absolutely no concerns over Helander or Goldson against any one.

I don't think Goldson is particularly slow - he's not Boumsong or Bougherra - but he's hardly Davie Weir.

Whilst Weir lacked pace, he had many great attributes; experience, excellent positional sense, read the game well, aerial presence, could break up play, tackle and knew when to step out of defence.

Exactly the attributes both Goldson and Helander posses (not saying they are better or worse than Weir). Both read the game well, both are commanding, both are comfortable with the ball at their feet. They can distribute the ball whether it's long or short, they can organise a defence and are strong in the challenge along with being a physical match for any one. For a player who many have concerns of being too slow, Helander sure manages to read the danger, step out of defence and stop play in wider areas.

Honest question. How often are either beat for pace?

Helander looked like he was beat for pace first half at the Tony Macaroni Stadium yet he still remained composed, got back into a position and stuck out last ditch leg which timed the challenge to perfection. He's great at that.

Both have been up against better sides than the bheggars and dealt with them.

Tavernier - Goldson - Helander - Barišić

Other than individual errors that has been a solid back four with good understanding, reading of the game, composure and balance. It's barely conceded a goal. It's been our rock over Feyenoord, Porto home and away, Livingston, Ross County and in a cup semi final.

Players with ability deal with a lack of pace. Absolutely no concerns over Helander or Goldson against any one.
EA509-AC6-2-B4-F-4-FDC-8-CC1-449346-F16-FD8.jpg

Good player. Given where we are just now - he won't play - he should be sent out on loan for 6 months. Club that were after him (Peterborough) have a defence that's leaky as hell and they really could do with him but Darragh McAnthony would quite happily shoot the agent given what happened there at the summer. Somewhere in lower Championship or higher League 1 would be ideal.
Sending him out on loan would be crazy, still loads of games to play and need a strong sqaud.

Sending him out on loan would be crazy, still loads of games to play and need a strong sqaud.
He won't play in the League while we're in with a shout for winning it, barring injuries. That leaves the Scottish Cup and he's behind Katic by the looks of it.

He's ideal for the position in front of the 2 Centre Backs.
Covers the ground well , good passer , excellent in the air.
Bags of potential , not necessarily a Centre Half for me.

Why would you %^*& about with the best back 4 in the league mate?

Goldson and Helander have stood firm against far bigger threats than what the mentally challengeds offer.

Goldson and Helander have stood firm against far bigger threats than what the mentally challengeds offer.
Yeah it's a tough call,the defence has been playing well against some good European teams,the mhanks tend to drive at you from midfield and coming in from the flanks and I have a concern that Helander and Goldson could get done for pace which big George could combat.

Helander ain’t as slow as he gets a reputation for but is the weakest aspect of his game.

However his ability to read a situation means he’s off and running early. Makes up for a lot.

Anyway, barring a knock, Stevie ain’t gonna be splitting the Goodson/Helander partnership any time soon.

If this should happen I’d be quietly confident Katic/Edmunson would do a job for us. There really is nothing to sweat about at CB.

He won't play in the League while we're in with a shout for winning it, barring injuries. That leaves the Scottish Cup and he's behind Katic by the looks of it.
Injuries and suspensions could happen any time, need all our quality players.

He looks decent but right now it’s hard to see him getting much of a sniff.
We finally have a settled back 4 and they are playing well, other than injuries or games against much lesser teams then I can’t see the manager changing it much.

Looks to have great potential, played well yesterday and I was particularly impressed by his defence of his team mate.

He actually looked like a proper leader on the pitch yesterday but to think that he could, at this time, displace helander or big Connor is folly in the extreme.

He will get his shot, but you need to look back as well as forward. We have been very strong at the back since we have had a settled back 5, why the fck change that?

He’s fourth choice, and what a great selection problem to have, but I think he will struggle for game time.

If none of our other defenders leave in the summer, I think he'll be off. He's too good to be sitting in the stands. He needs first team football.

Yeah it's a tough call,the defence has been playing well against some good European teams,the mhanks tend to drive at you from midfield and coming in from the flanks and I have a concern that Helander and Goldson could get done for pace which big George could combat.

Well, not really if we're being honest. GE will get his chances but not thrown in after impressing you against a Wrexham second string.

not suggesting we change anything of our current set up, but it must be said other Helander being an excellent CB his pace is his worst attribute. Hearts playing that small and fast CF in the semi probably shows this was a weakness they saw, and he beat him to the ball a couple times, only he done feck all with it won he won it.
David Weir.

Had similar argument yesterday re Morelos.
Well similar answer actually.
You know the “abit he’s never scored against selling” line!
He scored against Porto home and away ffs.
Some seem to think it’s all about the sellik.
Yes, it’ll be a big plus for defenders not to concede and for Morelos to score but, it’s only the main criteria at a personal level, if we allow it to be.
Of course, for the club as a whole, we do need to beat the scum.

I think Edmundson will have a part to play this Eason when injuries,suspensions and fixtures pile up. Whilst I have no doubt he’d perform well vs the tinks if he was forced to play due to an injury to Helander or Goldson I don’t think making a change will be needed as things stand.

Back