German Football Fan Culture That Scotland Needs

Done a mini German tour a few years back and they know how to create an atmosphere.
They certainly look after supporters ,with regional transport free to games.
Alcohol permitted in grounds and trains direct to most grounds.
Was in Bremen train station and there were Bayern Munich ,Bremen ,Hamburg and the odd Leverkusen supporters mingling with no hint of trouble.
Imagine Us ,them ,Aberdeen and Hibs supporters in Queen Street pre match.:rolleyes:
Everyone would be fine. :))

I decided to look more into the benefits of being a football fan in Germany, some of my favourites that I wish we could possibly adopt are listed below.

Alcohol permitted in stadiums

In Germany you're able to freely purchase alcohol at a reasonable price within the stadium and a cup of beer equates to around £4 with Borussia Dortmund having the lowest price at £3.70. Since alcohol within football stadiums in Scotland has been banned since the 1980 Scottish Cup Final riot it would make sense to bring it back. It would mean fans are more likely to stay around after the game and clubs would receive increased revenue from catering sales.

EbS5ueUWAAQUXBx.jpg

Free public transport with a match ticket

If you have a match ticket for a Bundesliga game you are permitted to use public transport such as the bus or train to both home and some away matches across Germany. This is however limited to regional trains only which collaborate with the clubs although it's still something. This is why in Germany it's not uncommon for the likes of Hamburg fans to travel on a Monday night to an away game with over 8,000 fans.

SBHH_Hamburg_ET490_Monitore_1-1002x501.jpg

Finally, the fans...

German supporters groups are known to be some of the best in the world whether that be Dortmund's Yellow Wall or Schalke's "Nordkurve" they are known for their tifos (displays) and constant backing of their team. "Ultras" groups in Scotland aren't all that new with Aberdeen being the first to launch the "Red Ultras" in 1999 and Celtic and Rangers fans followed suit. The first "proper" Ultras group is arguably the Union Bears although I'm aware the Blue Order existed before the conception of the Union Bears.

The Blue Order seemed to focus more on a "British" style of support whereas now the Union Bears take inspiration in a lot of their chants from Hamburg in which they have had a strong friendship with the club's lead Ultras "Castaways".

Below are some examples of how well tifos are carried out in Germany and in the past couple of years the Union Bears have continually improved the quality of all the displays within the stadium.

(CLICK ON THE TITLE OF THE VIDEO AND NOT THE PLAY BUTTON FOR IT TO WORK)

EVVRK9QXkAIRbnM.jpg

EQxRmh7XsAE_CNk.jpg

This thread was just to highlight how underrated football in Germany is and the whole culture surrounding it. There's a lot that we could learn from the Germans to improve our matchdays.

its easy to have a fans culture when your tv deal outstrips you’re season ticket income by so much.

also the licence restrictions are no where the same.

the German model in my opinion is not underrate.

Free travel yes.

Booze, no. I don't want to be sitting beside a drunk at the game. No chance men will have 1 or 2.
I am not sure of Germany but the beer served up in stadiums in Holland and I suspect Germany is Festival beer and only 2.5% alcohol. You would need to drink an awful lot to get drunk.

I am not sure of Germany but the beer served up in stadiums in Holland and I suspect Germany is Festival beer and only 2.5% alcohol. You would need to drink an awful lot to get drunk.

It ain’t 2.5% on the whole - pretty sure most are about 4%, thats why I mentioned it being so at Waldhof Mannheim - they can only legally sell it as no higher than 2.5% because of past misdemeanours. You do come across matches though that are light beer only like you say or no beer at all. Pretty sure there was a blanket booze ban in the area for Cologne Gladbach a few season back.

This is the price list from Bundesliga 1 and 2 in recent seasons for a beer and a bratwurst:

Last edited:
Reactions: ICM
We don't have a healthy drinking culture. It isnt just in a football setting. Whether it's in a pre-covid pub or at home, people in Scotland often drink with the sole purpose of getting drunk. The continental idea of a sociable glass of wine or mug of beer, enjoyed casually and over a period of time, is alien to most Scottish people. That may well change in future generations. Young people now seem to drink less than folk of my generation drank in the 90s and 00s. There's a growing appreciation for craft beer, craft spirits and accepting that in order to enjoy those craft drinks then there's a premium price to be paid which impacts on the volume people can afford to drink. This isnt a football problem. Very few things that are often blamed on football are actually football problems. It's a Scottish society problem.

We don't. However, none of the processes put in place have done anything to resolve it and they were never going to.

Less restrictions and more education would probably have a better outcome across Scottish society rather than the measures just now that don't ever address the problem directly.

Good to know and if done moderately it would be a goer from me.

But gives the licence to go and get pished and be a steamer.

We have an unhealthy obsession with booze in this country. We look down our noses at alcoholics but also go and binge drink. It doesn't make sense.

It ain’t 2.5% on the whole - pretty sure most are about 4%, thats why I mentioned it being so at Waldhof Mannheim - they can only legally sell it as no higher than 2.5% because of past misdemeanours. You do come across matches though that are light beer only like you say or no beer at all. Pretty sure there was a blanket booze ban in the area for Cologne Gladbach a few season back.

This is the price list from Bundesliga 1 and 2 in recent seasons for a beer and a bratwurst:

The Rothaus they sell at Karlsruhe is standard Rothaus, although they do sell the lower strength radler style drinks aswell.

Waldhof do have a deservedly bad reputation.

The Rothaus they sell at Karlsruhe is standard Rothaus, although they do sell the lower strength radler style drinks aswell.

Waldhof do have a deservedly bad reputation.

Aye, I’ve been to matches at 46 Stadiums of the 56 in the top 3 divisions this last 8 years and only a handful have been light bier only. Been at some silly ones for it - Ingolstadt v Fortuna Duss and Unterhaching v Bielefeld, both Bavaria and were silly ones for that. Aalen v RB Leipzig was a midweek one in December with 100 odd away fans and that was no booze. Went to Wurzburg v Dynamo Dresden first match of season in 2015 and that was no booze, Dynamo took the place over like, half the longside of the home end was Dynamo, lads absolutely smashed at 10am coming off the train from Dresden etc... See some funny sights in Germany on the booze front - went to Furth v 1860 one season and there were 1860 lads just passed out on the terraces they were that smashed.

On the first part of the documentary. Showed footage of them building it etc.

Think was a bit of a joke that, it’s not a nickname they use. Their Stadium name is quite synonymous with them, the ticket office is very old.

The fan train/football specials are good. The way the final two matches are always set in stone with no time or date change is very good so everyone gets a final away day that they can plan for. Usually quite cheap. The distance of some is amazing, Hansa have had ones leaving at approx 11pm Saturday and arriving in Kaiserslautern and Mannheim at around 11am Sunday morning for Sunday afternoon kick offs in the last two seasons. Simply never happen here.

Admire how collections are made for the Choreos at certain grounds, you walk in and lads are stood with buckets collecting. Sometimes you’ll get a sheet detailing the plan for today or about recent fan issues. Also some Ultras have shops in their end selling stuff.

I went a few times to Dortmund with a supporters bus. I had to walk over crates of beer all the way down the alley to get off the bus. Small glasses of Dirty Harry were also passed around regularly. The bus driver had to stop regularly to let people piss. I can assure you it is not only scotland that binge drink.

The German drinking culture is just as bad as it is here, the difference is that they treat people like adults and don't blame all their problems on football.

Back