German Football Trips / Pictures

Yeah, Kaiserslautern officially took 4,000 fans last Friday night but home end was rammed with them too. Huge travelling support (3rd highest of the weekend), hoping they return to 2. Bundesliga. Wurzburger look like they are heading to the Regionalliga.

image host
Hansa most impressive one there, 2500 going 574km on a Friday at 18:30! :)

Now on train to Braunschweig.

Eintracht Braunschweig v Magdeburg tonight then tomorrow I'm off to Dynamo Dresden v Jahn Regensburg.

Flight back to Scotland on Sunday morning.

Another shameless bump following trip over to see Rangers last week. Fans were absolutely superb.

Also managed to take in two more games as part of the trip. Top of the table clash in 3.Liga, with both teams now highly likely to go up. Also went to Dresden which has been on my bucket list for a very long time and didn't disappoint. Defo left with a soft spot Dresden.

Another shameless bump following trip over to see Rangers last week. Fans were absolutely superb.

Also managed to take in two more games as part of the trip. Top of the table clash in 3.Liga, with both teams now highly likely to go up. Also went to Dresden which has been on my bucket list for a very long time and didn't disappoint. Defo left with a soft spot Dresden.
Made a bit of a mess of the schedule that Turkgucu pulling out ain't it. Seen Magdeburg went up a fortnight ago.

Kaiserslautern v Dresden in the play off would be something else, pretty much looks a cert to happen.

Amazing thread.

Whats your favourite ground? And the game you have experienced the best atmosphere?

Tough question, best atmosphere has probably been in games against Dortmund and Bayern (I.e. Hertha beating Bayern for first time in years in a packed stadium and Frankfurt getting a draw against Dortmund). Every game in Germany tends to have a good atmosphere, the ultra sections always make a fantastic noise.

So many great stadiums too, favourites include Frankfurt, Koln, Hamburg and Schalke. So hard to pick.

It has been nearly a year since I last updated this thread. Since then I have been to 5 more grounds

In September 2022, I ticked off 3 new grounds in Northern Germany.

Friday night - Werder Bremen - we ended up taking a beer boat to the game from central Bremen, was superb bar the weather.

Saturday - Hannover - a very tasty derby with Eintracht Braunschweig - never seen so much pyro in my life, brilliant experience, especially the fan march to the game (got so many good videos walking to the ground).

Then on the Sunday I ticked off St Pauli.

In January, I couldn't resist £19.98 return flights from Edinburgh to Dusseldorf Weeze purely to see Bochum :)
Haha I have been looking at these all day to go to Paderborn in April. If they could shave a few hours off the Friday flight outwards it would be brilliant.

Haha I have been looking at these all day to go to Paderborn in April. If they could shave a few hours off the Friday flight outwards it would be brilliant.

Aye, it gets in fairly late Friday night and leaves really early Sunday morning. Ended up staying near the Airport in a place called Kevelaer. Bochum football ticket got free return train travel from Kevelaer to Bochum (had to go via Dusseldorf).

Tempted to use these flights again for Duisburg, Regionalliga West or even just go back to one of the grounds I've been to before.

Great viewing, thanks to everyone posting the pictures and info.
A couple of questions, how are Rangers fans received, so to speak , at stadiums the filth have a connection with?
For example, St Pauli?
What do the locals at these grounds or bars say when you tell them you are a Rangers fan?
And what is with the bagpipers? A few different ones,why is this a thing in Germany?

Aye, it gets in fairly late Friday night and leaves really early Sunday morning. Ended up staying near the Airport in a place called Kevelaer. Bochum football ticket got free return train travel from Kevelaer to Bochum (had to go via Dusseldorf).

Tempted to use these flights again for Duisburg, Regionalliga West or even just go back to one of the grounds I've been to before.
The Sunday one leaves at 19:00 sometimes now mate, know what you mean about leaving early Sunday though. Paderborn is a bit of a pain really with where it is, got there, Magdeburg and Heidenheim left to do in Bundesliga 2.

The Sunday one leaves at 19:00 sometimes now mate, know what you mean about leaving early Sunday though. Paderborn is a bit of a pain really with where it is, got there, Magdeburg and Heidenheim left to do in Bundesliga 2.

Ah, that is defo better. Also just noticed they do a Monday flight back too. Potential for some good weekends in the North West now.

Great viewing, thanks to everyone posting the pictures and info.
A couple of questions, how are Rangers fans received, so to speak , at stadiums the filth have a connection with?
For example, St Pauli?
What do the locals at these grounds or bars say when you tell them you are a Rangers fan?
And what is with the bagpipers? A few different ones,why is this a thing in Germany?

The only place I have ever seen a celtic scarf is St Pauli. Equally, I've only ever seen Rangers scarfs etc at Hamburg. I've never had any bother telling people I'm a Rangers fan, doesn't come up that often though.

Not sure regarding pipers, just something I've spotted a lot of outside grounds at ft.

I was at the Hamburg v Schalke game. If memory serves me correctly it was absolutely freezing that day. Then it started snowing after the game.

Aye, it was -10 all weekend. I mind going to the club shop after the game for 30mins purely just to warm up prior to walking back to the train station.

Easily the coldest I've ever been at a football match. All the locals turned up with blankets.

I’ve been at eight. Fortuna Dusseldorf, Cologne, Borussia Dortmund, Borussia Monchengladbach, Bayern Munich, Augsburg, Hamburg, Eintracht Frankfurt.

I added Waldhof Mannheim to my short list of German football grounds this season. I also saw the arse end of the Max Morlock as it backs on to the ice hockey rink in Nurnberg and I was there for an away game with Die Adler.

Mannheim beat Dresden in the game I went to. Dreden fans tried to set fire to their stand at full time.

Really want to see a fully redeveloped Wildpark. I was there when they'd demolished 2 of the 4 old stands. But I'd happily go back to the Carl Benz Staddion for another Waldhof game. Also fancy Mainz, if they've extended the tram so that it gets you to the ground now.

You might find the flights to Milan useful from Newcastle pal, decent flight Saturday morning to Milan with Ryanair - bit limited for way back mind. Sadly Eurowings from Newcastle to Düsseldorf is pretty dear really I find. It’s a bit crap for euro ground hopping routes Newcastle overall really.

You might find the flights to Milan useful from Newcastle pal, decent flight Saturday morning to Milan with Ryanair - bit limited for way back mind. Sadly Eurowings from Newcastle to Düsseldorf is pretty dear really I find. It’s a bit crap for euro ground hopping routes Newcastle overall really.

Overnight ferry to Amsterdam and train probably a decent option from Newcastle.

Typical me living near a shit airport. Lol

Cheers mate, I’ll no doubt try and pick your brain more I’m allowed to finally take my son out the country

I’m going to Hamburg on 20th April for their derby game against St Pauli on 21st; really looking forward to it.
Any recommendations for places to visit/get a drink would be welcome?
It’s my first time in Hamburg.

I’ve been at eight. Fortuna Dusseldorf, Cologne, Borussia Dortmund, Borussia Monchengladbach, Bayern Munich, Augsburg, Hamburg, Eintracht Frankfurt.

You'd done a lot of the big ones. Koln, Borussia Monchengladbach, Hamburg and Eintracht Frankfurt are some of my favourite grounds. Highly recommended Schalke too.

One of my favourite threads. I read bazza that the only ground that you have seen a Rangers scarf is Hamburg. Not surprised at that. However l imagine last season the Rangers would have been quite popular among football fans in Germany after they beat RB Leipzig. Probably if nothing more than the fact German football supporters really do dislike RB. Please keep adding to the thread bazza.

Back