Gerrard’s comments on the Turks

Gala are an absolutely massive club. They dwarf us in terms of size of fanbase.

Well that's good to know.

What, in your opinon, is the ratio of the size of their fanbase to ours? 2:1? 3:1?

No, I'd guess in your usage of the term "dwarf us" it must be somewhere between 5:1 and maybe 10:1?

I fancy us to beat them at Ibrox, maybe even comfortably.

They are a massive name and im gutted its not 2-legged with fans but on the pitch they are no better than anyone we've played in the Group Stages over the last 2 seasons. Some very good players who could cause us problems but many of them are well past their best. Absolutely no fear of them here.

I'm not sure how you figure that Chief? Dwarf us as a club and in terms of fanbase? if you dont mind i will repectfully disagree.
They have tens of millions of fans mate - we don't. Nowhere near that level. But not many clubs have.

Outside of Russia, they play in the biggest populated country in Europe (85 million) and are the biggest club there. There are also 4 million Turks in Germany. All over Europe there are big pockets of Turks and Gala stuff is seen all over these places.

It's not putting us down, just stating facts. They have a bigger fanbase than us - and most other clubs in Europe.

They have tens of millions of fans mate - we don't. Nowhere near that level. But not many my clubs are.

Outside of Russia, they play in the biggest populated country in Europe (85 million) and are the biggest club there. There are also 4 million Turks in Germany. All over Europe there are big pockets of Turks and Gala stuff is seen all over these places.

It's not putting us down, just stating facts. They have a bigger fanbase than us - and most other clubs in Europe.

fair enough, i cant argue with your stats there, so i shall say this, F*ck Gala and their many fans. :D

Last edited:
Am I right in saying that we’ve never been behind for a single minute in the qualifying rounds since Gerrard came? Incredible stat really.

We know it's to do with the fact they are Galatasaray rather than anything they've achieved recently.

If we play well I'm confident we'll get a win. An average or poor performance and we're out at this level.

they where lucky to even qualify for the Europa league last season. they finished 6th behind alyanaspor and sivvaspor

It shouldn’t be a Champions League level test - they’re older, slower and frankly not anywhere near as good as that Porto team we took four points from six against.

Interesting seeing someone mentioning that Galatasaray are a bigger club than us - I noticed the other night that their official twitter account has 9.5 million followers. Infact, their English twitter account has around 540k, just less than ours at 555k. That’s some going.

However, there’s clearly a difference between a ‘supporter’ and a ‘fan’. As someone alluded to, no other club in the world travels the way we do, and we’d take the more fans than Gala to any place in the world outside Turkey. When it comes down to the support, we are the biggest in the world, but unfortunately (and unsurprisingly) the lack of glamour from playing in Scotland does not pull in any ‘fans’ unlike Gala, and to a larger extent, teams down in England.

Opening shows have Rangers at 6/5 and Gala 9/4 in the 90 minutes

I completey understand why Stevie is talking like he is. Lets not get cocky, lets be ready.

I also watched the first half hour of Galatasaray Hajduk Split. Pedestrian and clumsy would best describe the action.

They should be concerned about our performances against Porto and Braga head to head last year. If it were them that had done that I'd be nervous.

However, against Braga and Leverkusen we looked far too nervous until we said %^*& this we're Rangers. We came close to 2-2 at one point against Leverkusen if I remember correctly, but the damage was done, they were quality. Wise from Gerrard to take the pressure off.

I honestly don't fear them, we look great at the moment. This is the best I've seen us since 2011 and Gerrard always manages to do well in Europe.

I fancy us to beat them at Ibrox, maybe even comfortably.

They are a massive name and im gutted its not 2-legged with fans but on the pitch they are no better than anyone we've played in the Group Stages over the last 2 seasons. Some very good players who could cause us problems but many of them are well past their best. Absolutely no fear of them here.
Just had a look at a co-efficient table there and, my apologies if this has been mentioned, Gala are in the nineties.
We’re in the sixties.
Porto and Braga are both higher than us.
My point is that we should have nothing to fear.

fair enough, i cant argue with your stats there, so i shall say this F*ck Gala and their many fans. :D
This is the attitude I like!

Yes they are a big club with some big name players but they usually get these players when they are over the hill. They also had a crap season by their standards.

It won’t be easy but we can do this.

It shouldn’t be a Champions League level test - they’re older, slower and frankly not anywhere near as good as that Porto team we took four points from six against.

The old guard still have quality about them and will be dangerous.

Turan, Feghouli, Falcao, Belhanda are still good players who on their day can still take it up a level.

We will be confident given what we have achieved in Europe under Gerrard.

They are a side that's competed in numerous Champions Leagues over the years and one you would associate with the Champions League when talking about the competition and clubs involved.

So we have a bigger fanbase than, say, Man Utd or Liverpool??

Come on.

We all love our club, but we have to accept our position and be honest and realistic about certain things.
What on earth are you talking about.

How many clubs have taken a 200k travelling support to any game.

They have tens of millions of fans mate - we don't. Nowhere near that level. But not many clubs have.

How do all their millions of fans fit in a 52k seater stadium? I'd hate to be on their waiting list for a season ticket. Might get on when your 75.

My next door neighbour is a Turk and a Fenerbache supporter,he says if we get in about them and put them off their game we will have a great chance of going through,but if we allow them time on the ball we could be in trouble. edit I know it's Galatasary we are playing.

There is no doubt that Gala have a team built for CL level.

But we are at home, we probably have more pace than them in our group, and these factors mean we have a chance.

Gala are an absolutely massive club. They dwarf us in terms of size of fanbase.

They will be favourites, but let's hope we can get the job done on the night.

Perhaps their notional fan base is bigger than ours, but I never really pay too much attention to stats like Man U have 5m fans.

However, in the last full season to be completed with fans their average crowd in the ground was 36,439.

Hardly dwarfs us!

Will be a good test for us. Like Porto, they are a CL level team and the type we need to get experienced at beating again

Given our performances against Porto last season, no reason we can’t do it.

Already buzzing for this, another one to add to the list of teams we’ve dispatched in Europe hopefully, I’m positive all the players will be right up for it, just think about the 200million galatasaray fans around the world that will be upset come 10pm on Thursday :))

Well that's good to know.

What, in your opinon, is the ratio of the size of their fanbase to ours? 2:1? 3:1?

No, I'd guess in your usage of the term "dwarf us" it must be somewhere between 5:1 and maybe 10:1?
Their supporters are all midgets ?

:p

Got to play at a consistent high tempo and press them into mistakes. They will want to play a slower game.

Turkey has a population of over 85 million.

There are also millions throughout Europe - 4 million in Germany alone.

If people genuinely don't think Galatasaray have more fans than us then we'll just leave it at that.
Why do you insist on utterly shagging Galatasaray?

Here is just one example that was easily reached to give you an indication of their fanbase size. There are plenty more out there.

As I said, it's no shame for us to be a smaller fanbase than them. They have millions of fans.

I'm with you here in terms of numbers, but we are consistently in the top 20 YouTube views, whereas Gala are never in it. I wouldn't say 'dwarfs'. I'd say more, but far less active (see smaller crowds as an example).

I never underestimate us mate.

But in pure numbers alone, they simply have a bigger number of fans across the continent and beyond.

If people want to think differently then that's fine with me.

If they average 35k per home game and we average 50K including when we were in the bottom division and can take 200k to a european final like we did in Manchester it doesn’t matter a fig how many claim to support them. I’m happy to believe the biggest club in Turkey, US, Japan or even China have more people who claim to support them but it means nothing if you can’t get off your fat Turkish erse and go to the stadium or travel abroad. We travel in huge numbers, fill our stadium every week for years in end, have a global fan base and are a world renowned club. What does it actually matter if a guy sitting in Kampala claims to support Arsenal or a New Yorker claims to support Man U when none of them will ever have an intention of going to watch ‘their’ club. Stupid argument. Suffice to say we both have big fan bases but Rangers in a city of 650k can fill our stadium every week and have a waiting list and Gala the biggest club in a city of 16m have 2/5ths of their stadium empty.

If they average 35k per home game and we average 50K including when we were in the bottom division and can take 200k to a european final like we did in Manchester it doesn’t matter a fig how many claim to support them. I’m happy to believe the biggest club in Turkey, US, Japan or even China have more people who claim to support them but it means nothing if you can’t get off your fat Turkish erse and go to the stadium or travel abroad. We travel in huge numbers, fill our stadium every week for years in end, have a global fan base and are a world renowned club. What does it actually matter if a guy sitting in Kampala claims to support Arsenal or a New Yorker claims to support Man U when none of them will ever have an intention of going to watch ‘their’ club. Stupid argument. Suffice to say we both have big fan bases but Rangers in a city of 650k can fill our stadium every week and have a waiting list and Gala the biggest club in a city of 16m have 2/5ths of their stadium empty.
That’s what I thought mate but it’s actually how many people live in Germany with Turkish heritage.

Back