Gerrard after this season?

When SG wins the league and continues to win trophies with the supporters back , then he will find it difficult to leave.

We all know that he will go to Liverpool but that won't happen until Klopp and Liverpool are satisfied that he has the trophy winning abilities as a manager and Klopp knows that he is leaving their club in capable hands.

Just need to look at the loyalty of the man during his playing career. Confident he is here for a collection of trophies and achievements.

If Klopp goes (which I fear he will), Gerrard will be high on Liverpool’s list. And if they come calling, he’ll be gone which I think we’d all expect. Providing 55 arrives, I don’t think he’d go anywhere else (apart from Liverpool obviously).

I've always felt this could be his last season either way but I get the CL aspect. One factor for me is that he is away from a young family.

However what none of us know is his view on his career path....for me he will be in high demand and as much as I think not catching Celtic wouldn't have damaged his CV with his European record.....overtaking Celtic is a completely different thing-it really shouldn't have been possible and his team's record this season has allowed that to happen and he's done it spending less than them.

I don't know how some folk get out of bed for worrying about stuff that might not happen.

"The mentally challengeds are trying to get the Old Firm game postponed".

"They're trying to get the league stopped".

Now it's...

"Gerrard's probably thinking about leaving us".

I know we've had the joy of football sucked right out of us for a good number of years, but for %^*& sake, it's not been so good for a long time - they should try to worry less, for a few months at least.

Last edited:
I’ve seen and heard a lot of folk on social media and phone ins etc suggest that if/when we lift 55 he will feel he has done what he came to do and look to move on. A few I’ve seen even said goldson and tav might be thinking the same. Couple that with Liverpool’s turn in form and some suggesting if that continues klopp might get the sack.

I personally can’t see it myself, and I imagine he is quite happy cutting his teeth in Scotland at the moment but what would I know! the fact I’ve seen it mentioned a few times got me a little worried at the thought.
Going nowhere.

Sounds like the usual trying to make a story out of nothing and put the fear up the rangers fans to me.

I don't see Gerrard going anywhere next season unless Klopp walks out and Liverpool come calling,.

I’ve seen and heard a lot of folk on social media and phone ins etc suggest that if/when we lift 55 he will feel he has done what he came to do and look to move on. A few I’ve seen even said goldson and tav might be thinking the same. Couple that with Liverpool’s turn in form and some suggesting if that continues klopp might get the sack.

I personally can’t see it myself, and I imagine he is quite happy cutting his teeth in Scotland at the moment but what would I know! the fact I’ve seen it mentioned a few times got me a little worried at the thought.
That's the problem right there fella.

he's gagging for a shot of the CL, so no danger he's going anywhere, also the difference between Gerrard and most other managers is,he does not have to do things based on money, as he's seriously seriously rich, and even if he weren't, he'll still choose a passion project ahead of anything based on a pay packet, he has a natural passion for football like a kid does, that's what made him the player he was, and now we can see it in his role as a manager

Not a chance he will leave. He needs a couple CL campaigns and a defence of a league title before the Liverpool job. He will want to add to this team with CL quality players

Couple that with Liverpool’s turn in form and some suggesting if that continues klopp might get the sack.
Klopp wins them the league for the first time in centuries last year, ;)not forgetting the CL the year before but he might get the sack so they will send for Gerrard???

What a bonkers thread hahaha.
Still; it generated a response.

The thing that worries me is his family not staying up here.. he won’t want to miss large chunks of his kids growing up.

I would counter that with unless it is Liverpool he is no more than 3 hours drive from any other team he would possibly consider.

Only way I can see Gerrard leaving Rangers in the near future is if the Liverpool job becomes available and he is offered it.

I don't think he will be interested in going anywhere else and he believes staying at Rangers and bringing success is going to give him the best chance of getting the Liverpool job.

ohh yes now, a trip to glasgow my kinda scene, klopp wont get sacked and stevie g will want to win the Cl with yous.. Rangers-Liverpool in the CL fucking magic, who's got a spare couch for that one ?
I just hope if they're drawn together hopefully fans are aloud back in atmosphere at both games would be unreal

I reckon he’ll give it at least one more season, specially if Rangers qualify for the CL it’s a bigger incentive to stay

I would counter that with unless it is Liverpool he is no more than 3 hours drive from any other team he would possibly consider.
I know what you mean.. his wife refused to move to Glasgow and I don’t really blame her.. can you imagine the mutants and the harassment? Slippy Gs wife etc etc.

The thing that worries me is his family not staying up here.. he won’t want to miss large chunks of his kids growing up.
He has suggested he may take a break from football for a period for this very reason.

I assume he wants to use his playing career momentum to build his stock whilst he's still relavent (as well as he is somewhat addicted to the sport and couldn't just walk away). Once he has built a reputation that will allow him to walk back in whenever he wants he will allow himself a break for a few years... But what that threshold is, who knows? I doubt its just one trophy though!

If we win it, it will be a big milestone in Gerrard's career (as well as being one in more than a few of our own lives) and for his personal development and managerial experience I would like to think that he would like to have at least one run at the Champions League with us. Should Klopp vacate Anfield then we all know where the Boss will be headed, but I don't think he will jump into a job offer from down south before that opportunity arises. With regard to the possibility of Tav and some other players moving on after this season, should that happen it will not necessarily be a bad thing. Successful teams need challenge and quite often planned positive change can assist in its delivery.

Win 55 and he wants to go, then let him go - thanks for service - if he wants to stay, brilliant. We should however have a contingency plan in place now.

Maybe this view is too simplistic but when Stevie G starts to get the trophies while working with us and is still improving himself and the team I don't see him leaving. He may have his own targets win a league, defend title next year, go further in Europe than last year there is still so much to experience and achieve. In short if a dream job comes up or a fresh challenge is sought due to meeting all his achievements he will leave but he in my opinion would leave with enhanced reputation and numerous trophies. We would be stronger with the foundations laid and next manager can teach different things to the players. Gerrard himself learned from all his coaches and managers and as long as we recruit well the players can improve with strong foundations and new ideas too.

Love how folk are still saying if we win it :))
I originally typed if (force of habit) and swiftly went back to change to when. Were the gap single figure no games in hand it is if. The season we are having vs theirs it is most definitely when.

He’s not the mercenary type as proved when Chelsea wanted him.
I’m sure he’ll show us some loyalty after giving him the opportunity, which was obviously a big gamble for us.

I believe Gerrard is here to take us as far as he feels he possibly can. For that reason, winning 55 is only the beginning. He is here to win more than one trophy. He has big challenges to overcome after that, retaining the title, competing in champions league, progressing further in europa, winning a treble, evolving winning squads.

Listening to him in this week's presser he wants to be fully tested as a growing manager and we give him that opportunity in spades. He is here until atleast 2024.

Our gaffer ain’t going anywhere, he will be with us for another season at least. He isn’t walking out without a crack at the CL.

This is just the beginning of his legacy.

Got Champions League football to look forward to, he owes us a League Cup also. Lock him
inside Ibrox until he's got a treble under his belt is basically what I'm getting at here.

Don’t see him leaving for some run of the mill EPL team any time but if there’s ever a time where the Liverpool job becomes available and Gerrard’s stock is still high then we’d all be kidding ourselves on thinking he wouldn’t walk through broken glass to get there. Who could blame him?

The idea he’s going to end up at Liverpool because they’ve fallen 6 points behind and may not win the title this season is preposterous to be honest. He hasn’t even got a trophy in the bag yet and Klopp’s only got the league title and Champions league in his.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere next season, he’s about to become a Rangers legend, he’ll want his well earned crack at the CL too and the chance to retain the title and leave us in a really great place. Even then I still don’t think he’ll be Liverpool’s next option.

Back