Gerrard and substitutions

Cooperfan

It was a weird selection of subs tonight. All wingers and little else.

Aribo looked knackered but was left on for example.

It was just another game were his use of subs left me bewildered considering the team looked dead on its feet before the goal. It's not just this game either.

He has all the makings of a good manager. I wish he would experiment with his subs more because he doesn't seem to be learning in this department.

Looking at the bench didn’t look like any other options I would have chosen way the game was going.Aribo made great tackle getting back on edge of the box in last 10 minutes and drooped deeper which worked.

Absolutely love the gaffer but that's 3 games out of 3 we've had weird subs made and they tend to come far too late in the game.
Given who is sitting behind him in the dugout I'd expect a bit of advice being passed to him.
Again, love the gaffer, turned us round and made us respectable again, but, there are improvements to be made.

We were scunnered and he was looking for ball carriers to get us up the park.

Not Stewart's forte

I think he looks and thinks....

Flanagan
Halliday
Barker
Ojo

I’ll leave out Stewart and Defoe but the other lot..fvck me would you bring them on

I thought Kent offered very little tonight and didn't see him marking a man once when we were under pressure but plays 70 odd minutes. Kamara had a nightmare tonight, just nothing went right for the boy but he doesn't come off. Jack also had a 2nd yellow coming as soon as he got the first.

I wonder how much of it was down to the wrong options being on the bench....

Probably not much as he just doesn't seem to like making changes

I'd have liked to have seen a more balanced bench. No CDs and no CMs (unless you want Halliday) left us short. Where is King for example?

As for who I would have used? Depends who was the most knackered. There were a few options at the end. Aribo worked hard and looked shattered for example.

It's up to SG who he uses but I do wish he'd use them since we've had three hard games in a week.
Who would you have had on the bench?

And what subs would you have made?

It was just another game were his use of subs left me bewildered considering the team looked dead on its feet before the goal. It's not just this game either.

He has all the makings of a good manager. I wish he would experiment with his subs more because he doesn't seem to be learning in this department.

I thought the whole team looked shattered in the 2nd half.

His slowness at bringing on subs is my one bug bear with his management.

It seemed like the Ojo took about 10 minutes to complete. There was activity on the bench for ages.

If Young Boys had scored 10 minutes earlier than they did then I think we would have struggled to hold on.

What happened to Docherty?
As much as I think most of us want to see him break into the team, he obviously isn't cutting it. Our midfield right now though is tremendous.

Any combination of Kamara, Davis, Jack and Arfield is very strong and hard to break into that. He might be getting his chance soon though with Davis injury

In the end we got lucky tonight another few minutes and we could have seen our entire season end in a heap!

As much as I think most of us want to see him break into the team, he obviously isn't cutting it. Our midfield right now though is tremendous.

Any combination of Kamara, Davis, Jack and Arfield is very strong and hard to break into that. He might be getting his chance soon though with Davis injury

Nah I get it, just think we could’ve at least had him as an option on the bench rather than have 3 wingers and a forward which to me is crazy. Put Barjonas on the bench, you need some sort of option surely.

Its probably his only negative. He is pretty bad at using the subs and changing things mid game. He'll get it I'm sure but it's far from ideal at times.

Thought Airfield (missing all night) should have made way for waster Ojo.

Aribo should have went off as well.

I was screaming for Gerrard to kill time and make the subs, couldn't believe it.

Nah I get it, just think we could’ve at least had him as an option on the bench rather than have 3 wingers and a forward which to me is crazy. Put Barjonas on the bench, you need some sort of option surely.
Is Docherty in the squad for Europe? I genuinely don't know

I thought Kent offered very little tonight and didn't see him marking a man once when we were under pressure but plays 70 odd minutes. Kamara had a nightmare tonight, just nothing went right for the boy but he doesn't come off. Jack also had a 2nd yellow coming as soon as he got the first.

2nd yellow has same outcome as one tonight fortunately

I'd have liked to have seen a more balanced bench. No CDs and no CMs (unless you want Halliday) left us short. Where is King for example?

As for who I would have used? Depends who was the most knackered. There were a few options at the end. Aribo worked hard and looked shattered for example.

It's up to SG who he uses but I do wish he'd use them since we've had three hard games in a week.

King is a fair point. He's looked decent in his limited game time but seems to have disappeared.

But the others you already know the answer - our other 2 centre halfs are injured as is Davis. If you look at our extremely limited Europa squad the only other options in those positions are young lads.

The way the game went we didnt really have many options

YBs had about 5 folk up front, 3 in midfield and 2 defenders for last half an hour

We had to have nearly everybody back to defend due this and then they were all too far away from Morelos when we did pick up the 2nd ball. Aribo left on for his physicality. We couldn't really play out from the back either due to them pressing us high.

Couldn't put Defoe on as it either left us a body short at the back or we took Morelos off and lost our pur ball

Ojo on as he has pace and could carry the ball and hit on the counter. Unfortunately he just gave YBs the ball back any time he got it.

Flanagan and Halliday had nothing to offer if coming on.

Thought Airfield (missing all night) should have made way for waster Ojo.

Aribo should have went off as well.

I was screaming for Gerrard to kill time and make the subs, couldn't believe it.
I thought Arfield had a good first half. One of the best players in fact. Completely disappeared after that.

Absolutely love the gaffer but that's 3 games out of 3 we've had weird subs made and they tend to come far too late in the game.
Given who is sitting behind him in the dugout I'd expect a bit of advice being passed to him.
Again, love the gaffer, turned us round and made us respectable again, but, there are improvements to be made.
You couldn’t have put that better in my own opinion too mate.

We have a certain respect for Gerrard because he has instilled that feel good factor at the club but we are more than entitled to question his decisions and, likewise, some of his subs and team selections have been very baffling.

That said by the way... I still stand by that we will win the league this year.

We thought something was wrong with Kent.
When Alfie dummied the blond guy wide right, Kent was jogging into the box, but it was sometime before SG took him off.
Re jacks two yellows, both came from us losing possession and jack trying to retrieve

In the end we got lucky tonight another few minutes and we could have seen our entire season end in a heap!

What was lucky about it? There was no cause for an additional few minutes and we were denied a stonewall penalty.

Stewart came off the bench recently and scored a couple. He's been overlooked as an oncoming sub since in favour of Barker and Ojo.
That is what I dont understand.....Stewart is the man in form as a sub, comes off the bench scores 2, his confidence is up, then cant get a look in.....for a guy in ojo to get on ahead of him, a guy who hasnt done a thing for months ......strange

What was lucky about it? There was no cause for an additional few minutes and we were denied a stonewall penalty.
Lucky in the sense that we were sat far too deep for 30 odd mins of the 2nd half....their goal was coming as we surrendered the midfield and our defence panicked time after time.....luckily the timing of their goal left little time for them to go and get the winner, but thy still nearly did!

Is Greg Docherty finished I take it ? Not even on the bench when we had no other centre mids available. ( counting Halliday as a left back )

Gerrard lack of experience as a manager shows with his subs. We should gave had another Central Midfielder in the Bench to come on and stiffen the midfield.

Our game intelligence was awful in last 10. Should have been running ball into corners etc instead of trying to score.

Gerard has a lot of room for improvement.

He's already a good manager.

Gerrard lack of experience as a manager shows with his subs. We should gave had another Central Midfielder in the Bench to come on and stiffen the midfield.

Our game intelligence was awful in last 10. Should have been running ball into corners etc instead of trying to score.

Gerard has a lot of room for improvement.

if he's got a lot of room for improvement he's going to some manager.

The management and coaching team have done a great job for us but the use of substitutes seems to have been overlooked. Last night cried out for fresh legs to be introduced as many of our team were toiling.

If you thought Stewart was the option for last night, you know little about football.

Ojo sub was fine, we were getting pushed further and further back, that leaves massive gaps down their flanks for exploit with pace.

I wouldve also have brought on Barker though. Got that pace but also really hard working

Manager can’t talk about the players lack of game management , when he himself is not doing his part to bring on subs at the correct time when team needs a lift / players are tired

I get the argument of who do you bring on? but that is a reflection of the subs he’s picked in first place and over reliance on one or two players, soft spot for others

even more glaring in last 10 minutes , you have guys on bench , you bring them on to break up opposition flow / waste time, in my honest opinion we’ve not drawn the game & Ryan Jack ain’t getting sent off if we’ve used our subs , played the game out correctly

We were crying out for an outball last night. I thought Aribo played well in the wide berth but in the second half we really needed someone with pace to get in behind them as they were pushing up on us. I would have had Ojo on much earlier and kept Kent on for a while.
These are the games were we miss the likes of Candieas and really need Jones back soon.

Ryan Jack was booked, we needed fresh legs as everyone could see we had tired badly. I appreciate the bench wasn't brimming with great options, but surely Halliday could have come on for Jack to freshen things up a bit? He's not as good a player, but Jack was walking a tightrope.

He has to deal with the IS though, and actual events.

I mean I would have brought on Greg Stewart and he 100% would have scored, at least 2, we would have kept the ball and never looked under pressure.

Would that have happened, %^*& knows.

A sub that should have been made is just a reinvent of a theory that will never be proven so of course it sounds great with hindsight

I would say most managers are hit and miss when making changes to be honest

Major flaw in his management, last night we were hanging on at the end and a blind man could see the players were knackered what does Gerrard do, mostly what he always does, puts on 1 sub and it’s nearly always the in affective Ojo.
We really are a Jekyll and Hyde team were we go from unplayable to not being able to string 2 passes together, giving away possession at ever turn.

Back