Gerrard and The Media

Wishbone

I have noticed lately that the questions form the Scottish media "journalists" are much more measured, relevant and appropriate than in the early days of the gaffers tenure. He is less spiky with them and seems to have built up a decent relationship. I wonder if this is because we are on a good run of form and they are sucking up to him or they now know he wont suffer fools gladly. He used to destroy them when they asked daft questions and one in particular seemed like a quivering wreck trying to get his questions out. In any event the tide seems to be turning in our favour (BBC excepted).

I have noticed lately that the questions form the Scottish media "journalists" are much more measured, relevant and appropriate than in the early days of the gaffers tenure. He is less spiky with them and seems to have built up a decent relationship. I wonder if this is because we are on a good run of form and they are sucking up to him or they now know he wont suffer fools gladly. He used to destroy them when they asked daft questions and one in particular seemed like a quivering wreck trying to get his questions out. In any event the tide seems to be turning in our favour (BBC excepted).
In part because they probably underestimated him when he came in. Also credit to out board for sticking with him and really believing in this "project", which is a term I HATE in football but in our case I can't help but feel it is true.

We could very well end up with something special here and I feel we are on the cusp, but time will tell. I honestly from the bottom of my heart want it to be the real deal this time. We just need to keep going.

In part because they probably underestimated him when he came in. Also credit to out board for sticking with him and really believing in this "project", which is a term I HATE in football but in our case I can't help but feel it is true.

We could very well end up with something special here and I feel we are on the cusp, but time will tell. I honestly from the bottom of my heart want it to be the real deal this time. We just need to keep going.
To be honest mate I don't think my old ticker could handle another false dawn.

It’s hard to convey in words how much I want to see this team win the league for us.

The Gaffer would gain instant legendary status for being the man who brought the league title home.

It’s fairytale stuff at the moment but each week and each win takes us one step closer.

I genuinely think the Board trusting this management team and completely buying into it could be one of the most important decisions of our recent history.

I think it’s partly because the Scottish media have stopped asking him questions about Liverpool and the EPL in general

I hope the media have been told to stop trying to %^*& with us and we'll stop fucking with them.

I like many have thought from the start, we are so lucky to have a genuine global football icon learning his trade at our club and his undoubted class and footballing knowledge together with the boards backing in terms of playing and management support staff, are starting to pay dividends. We have a long way to go to secure 55 but there is something more solid and resilient about our whole set up this season.
I believe these things happen in cycles and I still remember our 9 IAR and how we almost routinely pumped them every time we played them and they were the ones protesting in the car park at the paedodome demanding board change.
The game changer this time is going to be the litigation around child rape at CBC once this whole sorry episode is exposed and the pathetic separate entity defence is obliterated in court they are finished. Running parallel to the good work done on this horrific subject by dedicated people on this forum, we have a world class manager in the making learning his craft (and covering his work) at our club raising our profile again whilst celtic have a scabby lipped pish stained jakey at the helm. Long may he remain (that goes for SG and TLB).

Gerrard is a complete professional who won't be taken in by the amateurish journalists we have to endure in this country, and they have fast learned that they won't get any content at all if they continue to act the c*nt.

Good post.
However I've noticed he seems to retain a distaste for having to deal with Patterson of Sky & Rob McLean.
Can't say I blame him TBF.
Wonder when the penny will finally drop at PQ?

Tbf he was asked today if he knew that Kemar Roofe was as good as he was. Fuckin seriously?!

That’s what happens when you employ someone in a sports media role with an extensive background of selling tat to pensioners.

It was cringeworthy.

I guess to be fair, even the ‘Journalists’ with an actual sports background have asked some ridiculous questions as well over the years.

I like many have thought from the start, we are so lucky to have a genuine global football icon learning his trade at our club and his undoubted class and footballing knowledge together with the boards backing in terms of playing and management support staff, are starting to pay dividends. We have a long way to go to secure 55 but there is something more solid and resilient about our whole set up this season.
I believe these things happen in cycles and I still remember our 9 IAR and how we almost routinely pumped them every time we played them and they were the ones protesting in the car park at the paedodome demanding board change.
The game changer this time is going to be the litigation around child rape at CBC once this whole sorry episode is exposed and the pathetic separate entity defence is obliterated in court they are finished. Running parallel to the good work done on this horrific subject by dedicated people on this forum, we have a world class manager in the making learning his craft (and covering his work) at our club raising our profile again whilst celtic have a scabby lipped pish stained jakey at the helm. Long may he remain (that goes for SG and TLB).
Like how you got that in brother

IMHO having @David Edgar there every game to ask questions fans want asking cannot be a bad thing. If it means they have to up their game or risk being shown up by fan media all well and good. Some questions are still pretty rank but I must say it appears to have improved. If H&H has had an influence all power to them.
Couldn't agree more. The difference for me is that Edgar is not looking for a headline or angle with which to print bollocks.
He is interested in the team and only this.
Long may it continue

They knew we wouldn't be able to challenge in the first season or two so they could be patronising and smug. The now know the challenge is there and real and has wiped away the smug attitudes.

Gerrard/Board may have sent all the scribblers a memoranda about what questions will be tolerated ?
Usual mundane, sarcy condescending crap won't be entertained.

IMHO having @David Edgar there every game to ask questions fans want asking cannot be a bad thing. If it means they have to up their game or risk being shown up by fan media all well and good. Some questions are still pretty rank but I must say it appears to have improved. If H&H has had an influence all power to them.
Agree 100% and I get the impression that the manager appreciates the questions that David puts to him as it’s not trying to create a controversy,i think that’s why he named checked David a couple of weeks ago.i have noticed that more often than not the rangers web site will use the answer to david’s question as the main headline

I haven't.

Still get's some really stupid questions and it is all about the angles, they are less obvious about there disdain for him and for our club and don't openly slate him, they just don't give him much praise either (success is minimized). I cannot think of an article that praises him and his team for the work that has been done since he came in, for the difference in the European co-efficient (They did one a few months ago with the headline Celtic Euro Top Dogs because of the way the points are calculated....even though we were through the groups).

In the last week we have had the back pages with Jackie Macnamara (from a pape podcast) basically saying, Rangers are a shite team, and they have squeezed in a top 5 halfway line goals ever to provide the scum with counterpoint alternatives to Roofes as to which is better, they cater for one club and one club only.

Edit: oh and I liked the 'First Euro Away Win Under Gerrard' headline as well. (sneaky as %^*&)

The only positive articles that spring to mind that I have thought were balanced and highlighted the clubs drastic all round improvement were by Kenny Dalglish, he praised Dave King way back and has done a few recently on Gerrard.

The media is ingrained with the unwashed, it's just a fact. They are literally everywhere and that won't change for a very long time. We may get begrudged praise here and there but will not get a fair crack at the whip. It reminds me of the undercurrent of bias Trump get's.

And if you think he would get the easy ride that the Lurgan Bigot and his team are getting right now you are sadly mistaken. The hoop jumping (no pun intended) for first the OF which I have never seen a result so analyzed in my puff and then the glorious defeat on Thursday show just how bad it is.

Rangers as a club have 1 or 2 'friendly' reporters and that's about it.

(p.s: don't buy it, don't click it)

Probably a mix of fan led media keeping them on their toes and binning Jim Traynor tbh. Traynor had a lot of enemies in the Scottish press and you got the sense, a lot of them pushed the boundaries just to get at him.

That and of course the usual snidey mentally challengeds don't have a lot to be snide about atm.

We are doing well but have a lot to prove yet. Not so long ago we were dropping stupid points to dross. I have previously thought we can do this and been let down. A lot of the same players are still there so what has changed, attitude, from the false dawn last December. I hope so.

When he was being questioned by Rob McLean after the game in Belgium he looked as if he couldn't be arsed answering the stupid questions that he knew were about to be put to him.

The lad knows that the media up here are just negative and full of hatred towards his club but he answers honestly and even though he knows that , he conducts himself professionally at all times.

They will never crack him.

Back