Gerrard expects bids for Tav.

37 goals plus assists, that will be a 15milliom start price please or gtf

This ,his value should be equal to Morelos , but would leave a far bigger hole to fill in the team . Biggest positive is that we will get top dollar from our big players from now on I feel should they leave .

Losing Tav is my biggest fear this simmer.

He's simply irreplaceable with the budget we have.

Personally I reckon he'll stay and win a title or 2 before heading back down south.

For his service and commitment I really want him to lift at least one SPL title.

But if he goes, it's our price or no price.

This is where we are unfortunately when you see teams like Huddersfield getting 90 odd million for finishing bottom of the league and we get less than 2 million for finishing 2nd we have to get maximum for our players. I'd like tav to stay for 1 more year at least but I suspect the management team are looking for replacements all the time

Of course we do. Thanks for the patronising answer though.

If you still don't think there's room for SG wisen up a little in interviews then you've not been paying attention this year.

There's nothing wrong with what he has said in that interview.

Unfortunately every player is for sale but we are now in a position where if any team wants our best players then they are going to have to pay big money to get them , Tav and Morelos are are two biggest assets and the bidding should be starting at a minimum of £10m and £15m respectively we don’t need to sell our best players now ,but at the same time this is the business model we now need to work within in buy players for cheap develop them and sell on for a profit the difficult bit is doing it without damaging the first team and getting suitable replacements

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with what he has said in that interview.

I didn't say there was mate. My point is the whole thing is either naive and sounds like a "come and get him for the right price" or it's about softening us up.

Personally I think losing Tav would be a disaster. So if he was asked a question along the lines of "do you envisage struggling to hold onto James in this window?" all he need to say was "Tav is under contract and a crucial part of our plans for next season, that's all I have to say just now". Job done, journo gets his answer and they move on to something else.

I think Leeds would be the only Championship team he’d consider,but they’d have to pay top dollar,no less than £12m,and I can’t see them offering that.
I confess to being a bit worried when they were challenging for promotion- the style of play looked ideal for Tav, he's a Leeds fan and their current right back, Ayling, is a poundshop version of Tav.

Thankfully they didn't go up...

When you look at Ryan Fraser the ex-sheep player being valued at £16m now we shouldn’t be even contemplating anything less than £20m.

I didn't say there was mate. My point is the whole thing is either naive and sounds like a "come and get him for the right price" or it's about softening us up.

Personally I think losing Tav would be a disaster. So if he was asked a question along the lines of "do you envisage struggling to hold onto James in this window?" all he need to say was "Tav is under contract and a crucial part of our plans for next season, that's all I have to say just now". Job done, journo gets his answer and they move on to something else.

Don't you think its naivety on the supports part if they think all offers, regardless of value, would be getting turned down?

Every player has been for sale for the right price for well over a decade. Probably the last time we did refuse all offers was Brian Laudrup in 1997.

He is just saying what everybody should know already.

I would only sell for too dollar IF tav himself asked to leave.
For the record I do not think for a minute he will ask.

It’s a fair point you make .

For example, say Everton offer us £10 million and Tav a 4 year deal at 50k a week ( bog standard EPL money) . Tav says to us can you match it I want to stay but it’s a lot of money , we say the most we can do is 30k a week , it’s understandable on all sides if the move goes ahead .

I want to keep him but the gaffer knows if that scenario unfolded he may be off and is preparing us for the possibility.

Don't you think its naivety on the supports part if they think all offers, regardless of value, would be getting turned down?

Every player has been for sale for the right price for well over a decade. Probably the last time we did refuse all offers was Brian Laudrup in 1997.

He is just saying what everybody should know already.

Which was exactly my point. Therefore why the need? The more I read it the more it reads like a come and get him. Which if is what happens and we get top value for him is fine. However, I don't see the need to the piece.

We don't have to sell him as he's got a while yet on his contract, however every player does have a price. Nothing less than 20 million. With the way they throw money about down south they can afford it.

If we are serious about winning the title in the next season or two we need to keep the core of the team together no matter the bids that come in.
We are starting this season with a bit of stability which is crucial.

Which was exactly my point. Therefore why the need? The more I read it the more it reads like a come and get him. Which if is what happens and we get top value for him is fine. However, I don't see the need to the piece.

I think that if the questions he was asked were also printed it would have a totally different vibe to it.

I’d like to keep both but it’s more important we keep Tav than Morelos in my opinion. We’ve shown we can play well without Alfredo. Without Tav however we are considerably weakened in terms of pace, assists and attacking intent. He’s critical to the way we play.

So, for me, if we have to (and it seems inevitable), let’s take the money for Alfredo but resist any offers for Tav. I want to see him lifting 55 next season.

I will be gutted if we let him go.

I used to think in the past we should cash in but this season he’s totally changed my mind on him and if you actually focus on the things he brings to the team, rather than what he doesn’t, he’s just a huge player for us.

He’s our captain and our leader on the park. To sell him at this stage when we are finally looking like mounting a serious challenge would be criminal.

Would have to be 10m+ to even be considered with the assists and goals he provides us. Would be extremely difficult to replace that contribution.

And if Tav goes we don't sell Fredo. It's one or the other. This is not the summer to sell all our best players, we have a massive opportunity next season.

the interview is just laying it out - everyone is for sale but I hope the message is also, you need to be talking prem money or don’t bother - a £6m or £8m bid will get you nowhere. I do fear losing him though, more than any other of our players.

Wonder how long they have sat on this interview as well. Surely everybody is on holiday just now and they aren't doing press calls?

He's not for sale is a simple enough answer?
It’s simple enough to say. But it’s not a simple situation. we’ve complained for years about people talking to us like we’re idiots and here’s a manager giving the more accurate, nuanced answer and we’re complaining.

Fact is that there is interest in Tav, whether the manager acknowledges it or not. The smart thing to do is to talk the player up, ensure that if we do get bids then they’re going to be worth considering rather than bids that turn the players head but don’t represent good value for us.

Can't stand the thought of losing Tav, but if anyone offers £15m we're in no position to turn it down.

In my opinion he's a £15m player.

Russell Martin recently said Tav is the best player in the league, while Gerrard said Arfield was in his new position.

It's certainly between those 2, but it's a tough call.

Let’s be honest here Kent came up here has had 1 great season everywhere else he’s been on loan hasn’t been successful, tav has been consistent for season after season u can’t argue with his stats, never injured, plays 90mins every game his value surly if a club from down south starts at 10m, the bheasts are talking about £25m plus for that chunt thearney tav stats make his look pathetic n he’s injury prone.

An odd article. Despite his protestations in it that he wants Tav to stay, it does read like he’s trying to sell him to me, albeit making sure we get a good price for him. Either that or the deal is already done.

I don’t think anyone who watches Tav would learn anything from the article, and any suitors down south will be well aware of him. Just find it an odd article.
I think SG has something up his sleeve here.

I think if we get offered £8m or more he is away. Think he wants to play into the Premier League eventually & his stock is high just now.

We do need to cash in occasionally & I hope the board aren't criticisedif we do. Don't want him to leave obviously but I think he's the player we are most likely to lose in the summer.

20 assists a season. Never misses a game. A leader.

He is our most valuable asset and unless we get a bid of 15 million we should tell them to bugger off.

Tav has developed into a top class player. Ideally he stays and sees us as champions and also plays in the Champions league. He has been hammered on here at times but he has learned and got better and better.
The reality is we have to win trophies whilst developing and selling players.
IF Tav goes, my choice for RB would be Ross Mcrorie. He is a tremendous athlete who could develop (like Tav) into an outstanding full back.

I think if we get offered £8m or more he is away. Think he wants to play into the Premier League eventually & his stock is high just now.

We do need to cash in occasionally & I hope the board aren't criticisedif we do. Don't want him to leave obviously but I think he's the player we are most likely to lose in the summer.
If the board let him go for the £8m you've quoted it'll be more than just criticism.

STEVEN GERRARD has revealed he expects summer bids for skipper James Tavernier.

And the Rangers boss insists his club captain could handle a move to a top club in the English Premier League.

Tav, 27, has been linked with Aston Villa and West Brom. Gerrard is desperate NOT to lose him during the transfer window — but reckons the right-back will be attracting attention.

The Gers boss — set to confirm the signing of Greg Stewart on a two-year deal this week — said: “Tav could potentially get to the level of the top full-backs in England.

“If you analyse it, he’s got the body to do it. He’s robust enough to do it and he’s got the technical ability to do it.
“His quality from the side, in terms of crossing and assists, it doesn’t matter what league you play in.
“If you’re putting that in, people will finish it off.

“He’s improved defensively but can still get better. It’s no surprise that he’s been on the agenda for most of this season.
“Whenever a transfer window opens, there’s interest in Tav.
“He has been so consistent and, for me as a manager, he’s been there for every game and every training session.
“It’s been me who’s pulled him away from it at times. If I didn’t he’d have played in every game.

“He’s got the body and capacity for any league out there.
“In saying all of that, I want him in this league and in my team.
“There have been calls about Tav with clubs interested. I am sure there still is.
“We’ve got a fantastic captain/manager relationship. We know his agent very well and, as with any player, I’m open to these chats at any time.

“The reality is, and I probably shouldn’t be saying this, but every player has his price.
“Every manager up and down the UK has the same issues.
“But I can’t be any clearer, I want my best players to stay at Rangers and Tav certainly comes into that bracket.
“When I looked at appointing a captain, I did a lot of due diligence and asked a lot of questions about the dressing room.

“Looking from afar, Tav was always one of the most consistent Rangers players I’d seen on the eye.
“Then after chatting to him and knowing he wanted to stay, that was a big help.
“I didn’t want to bring a new player in as captain.
“I did a lot of homework on it but it could have been another few because we have good leaders in here.”

Yet we still have people on here who think Tav isn't captain material

Our manager knows what qualities it takes to be a captain of a major football club, you don't

Back