Gerrard expects bids for Tav.

Alan Johnson

STEVEN GERRARD has revealed he expects summer bids for skipper James Tavernier.

And the Rangers boss insists his club captain could handle a move to a top club in the English Premier League.

Tav, 27, has been linked with Aston Villa and West Brom. Gerrard is desperate NOT to lose him during the transfer window — but reckons the right-back will be attracting attention.

The Gers boss — set to confirm the signing of Greg Stewart on a two-year deal this week — said: “Tav could potentially get to the level of the top full-backs in England.

“If you analyse it, he’s got the body to do it. He’s robust enough to do it and he’s got the technical ability to do it.
“His quality from the side, in terms of crossing and assists, it doesn’t matter what league you play in.
“If you’re putting that in, people will finish it off.

“He’s improved defensively but can still get better. It’s no surprise that he’s been on the agenda for most of this season.
“Whenever a transfer window opens, there’s interest in Tav.
“He has been so consistent and, for me as a manager, he’s been there for every game and every training session.
“It’s been me who’s pulled him away from it at times. If I didn’t he’d have played in every game.

“He’s got the body and capacity for any league out there.
“In saying all of that, I want him in this league and in my team.
“There have been calls about Tav with clubs interested. I am sure there still is.
“We’ve got a fantastic captain/manager relationship. We know his agent very well and, as with any player, I’m open to these chats at any time.

“The reality is, and I probably shouldn’t be saying this, but every player has his price.
“Every manager up and down the UK has the same issues.
“But I can’t be any clearer, I want my best players to stay at Rangers and Tav certainly comes into that bracket.
“When I looked at appointing a captain, I did a lot of due diligence and asked a lot of questions about the dressing room.

“Looking from afar, Tav was always one of the most consistent Rangers players I’d seen on the eye.
“Then after chatting to him and knowing he wanted to stay, that was a big help.
“I didn’t want to bring a new player in as captain.
“I did a lot of homework on it but it could have been another few because we have good leaders in here.”

I could understand a player like Tav leaving to go and play in the premiership because if he recreated his form then there a chance of an England call up but would not understand him leaving to play in the championship. There’s no way that is a more attractive option then playing for us

Hope he is still here next season. Really not sure how we replace what he brings to the team.

If we do sell any of our decent players this summer the only consolation I take from it is that I know we won’t be selling them cheap.

I could understand a player like Tav leaving to go and play in the premiership because if he recreated his form then there a chance of an England call up but would not understand him leaving to play in the championship. There’s no way that is a more attractive option then playing for us
Totally agree but if a Leeds or some such offer double his wages it would be tough for him to turn down. Without doubt the most consistent player last season

Apart from Morelos we need to keep most of the squad together. This season is going to be our best chance to win the league by far with yesterday’s news. We need to give them our word they can get a big money move next season and hopefully achieve immortality here by winning 55.

Got to be top money, he's more valuable to us than Morelos.

Tavernier will be hard to replace and if he leaves in the summer it means we need two top quality signings in the full back area - right and left.

We must have been scouting these positions and there isn't any one in Scotland who improves us in these areas. We don't need back up options, we need genuine quality.

IMO I think a monster bid will come in and he will be gone ,modern day full backs are at a premium in world football these days ,there aren’t many around but for me he’s £10m and upwards

Apart from Morelos we need to keep most of the squad together. This season is going to be our best chance to win the league by far with yesterday’s news. We need to give them our word they can get a big money move next season and hopefully achieve immortality here by winning 55.
Agree with this tell him to help us lift 55 as captain then we’ll let him go to England for a suitable price, which would be in the high teens by that point

SG has been touting this for months, during the January window he said he was expecting bids for Tav. Said before that the sale of Alfie and Tav is likely central to the management teams strategy for squad strengthening in the summer. Still believe that Tav will go for a higher fee than Alfie.

We need to keep him. To lose that many goals and assists (even excluding penalties) would be a massive blow. There’s not a RB in the world that we could afford that would give us that.

Totally agree but if a Leeds or some such offer double his wages it would be tough for him to turn down. Without doubt the most consistent player last season
I think Leeds would be the only Championship team he’d consider,but they’d have to pay top dollar,no less than £12m,and I can’t see them offering that.

An odd article. Despite his protestations in it that he wants Tav to stay, it does read like he’s trying to sell him to me, albeit making sure we get a good price for him. Either that or the deal is already done.

I don’t think anyone who watches Tav would learn anything from the article, and any suitors down south will be well aware of him. Just find it an odd article.

I hope and I think he will be here to win us the league next year. I think he knows he has the chance of legend status.

An odd article. Despite his protestations in it that he wants Tav to stay, it does read like he’s trying to sell him to me, albeit making sure we get a good price for him. Either that or the deal is already done.

I don’t think anyone who watches Tav would learn anything from the article, and any suitors down south will be well aware of him. Just find it an odd article.

Its pieced together like it's a speech. It reality its answers to different questions.

Do people still not know how these stories work?

With the absolutely insane prices down there, we should be looking for £20m starting bid.

They are absolutely swimming in tv cash down there. Even in the championship.

Its pieced together like it's a speech. It reality its answers to different questions.

Do people still not know how these stories work?

Of course we do. Thanks for the patronising answer though.

If you still don't think there's room for SG wisen up a little in interviews then you've not been paying attention this year.

Back