Gerrard - Gio

Superswally173

Not going to dis gerrard on this thread..

But looking at todays game, there are many obvious tactics that weren't being utilised.
Makes me wonder wtf...

Sekala on at start on the wing
Morelos up front
Tav telt tae stay the %^*& back

Many more

But what a tactician gio is.

In gio we trust

Think we all need to stop looking backwards tbh.

The Gerrard era at Rangers is gone, he delivered the Club its 55th league title and stopped Celtic doing ten in a row.

This is Gio's time, and he deserves to build his own legacy, and it's a good start.

First manager since Willie Waddell to win their first four games in charge at Rangers.

He's came in more experienced than what Gerrard was when he joined us, and he'll learn even more while he's here.

Be excited. It's going good.

D

The Gerrard era at Rangers is gone, he delivered the Club its 55th league title and stopped Celtic doing ten in a row.

This is Gio's time, and he deserves to build his own legacy, and it's a good start.

First manager since Willie Waddell to win their first four games in charge at Rangers.

He's came in more experienced than what Gerrard was when he joined us, and he'll learn even more while he's here.

Be excited. It's going good.
With all due respect
Wasn't looking backwards
Was actually looking forward
However my point was that the forward manager still has to inherit what was left to him

That includes players on the verge of leaving, players not fulfilling their potential, players not playing in their expected natural positions

In gio we trust

I loved the Gerrard era, fantastic signing for us at the time. He is such a high profile positive image for our club and I thank him for the memories and for 55’ he’s gone elsewhere now and all the best, however we are Rangers and no one is bigger than the club! Already seeing a difference in the players and excited to see what Gio is going to improve in the near future. As a Rangers supporter I feel very positive about the future.

The tactics we used the past few seasons got us results in Europe none of us could’ve dreamt of 4 years ago. The new manager has came in and picked the players up and is putting his mark on the team. Both things can be true.

So far I like the way Gio works within the game, makes substitutes that you can look at and say ok i know why he is doing that.
(Although full disclosure - I was screaming for him to make subs earlier at Easter Road)
Subs were always Gerard’s big weakness.
Gio’s subs make sense and reflect the fact that I think Gio see’s the game with clinical precision, kind of black and white. Gerard’s subs were like for like or based on favouritism.
But as other posters in this thread have said, no need to look back but we thank Gerard for what he did.
Now we move on with Gio and with great optimism!

So far I like the way Gio works within the game, makes substitutes that you can look at and say ok i know why he is doing that.
(Although full disclosure - I was screaming for him to make subs earlier at Easter Road)
Subs were always Gerard’s big weakness.
Gio’s subs make sense and reflect the fact that I think Gio see’s the game with clinical precision, kind of black and white. Gerard’s subs were like for like or based on favouritism.
But as other posters in this thread have said, no need to look back but we thank Gerard for what he did.
Now we move on with Gio and with great optimism!
Agree

Gio has very quickly shown his management experience
Liked how he talked of dutch managers going 4-4-3, then on first game went 4-3-2-1
Gio is unpredictable (in a good tactical way for us)
Also with the wide wingers

God knows what else he has in store, but I'll watch and admire

In gio we trust

The easy conclusion to make is that Gio’s tactics are somehow superior to Gerrard’s now that we’re back in good form.

Gerrard’s system had grown stale, and opposition managers, particularly in Europe, had caught on to how to play against us. That shouldn’t detract from the fact that his system won us 55 at a canter and made us a well-regarded force in Europe again.

I’m enjoying the dynamism and fluidity of the Gio-era so far, but talks of him being superior to Gerrard are ridiculously premature.

D

With all due respect
Wasn't looking backwards
Was actually looking forward
However my point was that the forward manager still has to inherit what was left to him

That includes players on the verge of leaving, players not fulfilling their potential, players not playing in their expected natural positions

In gio we trust
What was left to him was a squad full of very good players in every position, giving him a plethora of options to consider.

While some may be below their best the quality is there as is the depth.

Gio has the squad inherited from Gerrard who built it brilliantly and against a backdrop of considerable constraints.

Last edited:
I think that you're being unfair on Gerrard. You need to consider that Gio has walked in to a squad that he has the luxury of making minor tweaks to. Ideally we'd sign a few in January, but if we don't I'd still be confident that we win the league. Gerrard walked in to an utter shambles off the back of conceding 5 to Hibs.

This season definitely wasn't up the standard of previous ones, but he still had us in line to qualify for the next stage in Europe and 4 points ahead. In reality I think Gerrard had simply allowed things to become too stale. Same message with essentially the same core of players from the last 2-3 seasons.

If Gio stays long enough it'll happen with him too. However, he's had a flawless start, long may it continue

Ross Wilson has done an excellent job replacing Gerrard at such short notice.

Gio has proved himself to be an upgrade in the short term at least regarding form at a critical point in the year, and the signs look positive in the long run.

Millions of pounds in the bank and an upgrade in personnel sounds like fantastic business to me. Ironically, this will be the thing that restores Gerrard's reputation at the club and ensure he will be remembered fondly. Looking back, I don't think the club were desperate for him to stay or desperately offering improved terms. Seems like Ross was happy for the opportunity to make some cash and bring in better for free. One rudderless game against hibs with no manager was the only damage, annoyibg, but the return of enjoyable football, the sparta game and 9/9 points in the league has made up for it for this bear.

What was left to him was a squad full of very good players in every position, giving him a plethora of options to consider.

While some may be below their best the quality is there as it the depth.

Gio has the squad inherited from Gerrard who built it brilliantly and against a backdrop of considerable constraints.

I agree with this. We've far and away the best squad in the league with many players worth a lot more than when they arrived.
The last few windows have been disappointing as we were expecting new signings to be 'next level' players that obviously didn't happen. Probably down to the lack of a big sale of 1 or 2 of our players.
Looking forward to next months window and expecting a couple of signings to freshen things up.

We along with the players, needed the change. We were stale under him and there was very little "plan B". Obviously GVB has realised that Goldson isn't Beckenbauer and can't cover for Tav properly. Nearly all our goals lost are down the right hand side. He's sorted that weakness. Borna isn't as marauding and Bassey becomes better during the game, when CG is doing the basics.

I'm hopeful we can get to January without dropping points to allow him to rejuvenate the starting 11.

The easy conclusion to make is that Gio’s tactics are somehow superior to Gerrard’s now that we’re back in good form.

Gerrard’s system had grown stale, and opposition managers, particularly in Europe, had caught on to how to play against us. That shouldn’t detract from the fact that his system won us 55 at a canter and made us a well-regarded force in Europe again.

I’m enjoying the dynamism and fluidity of the Gio-era so far, but talks of him being superior to Gerrard are ridiculously premature.
5 trophies in 4 seasons at Feyenoord or one trophy out of nine in Scotland. Premature or not there's a decent enough case there in favour of Gio......at least for now.

I think we needed someone of Gerrard’s stature to drag us up from the position we were in and he done a great job to win the league in the time constraint he was given.

However, I feel like it was time to move on as we were so stale and it looks to have suited all parties with Gerrard starting well too.

I wish him well and thank him for the job he done.

Gerrard did a great job considering where we were at when he arrived. For whatever reason, things had gone stale this season and it was likely best for everyone that he left since we got compensation and there was an obvious high quality replacement ready to start the job. Gio has rejuvenated the squad, looks to be exactly what they needed so far.

Sakala started in the same position Gerrard started him when he scored a hattrick against Motherwell.

Gio is only just in the door and is benefiting from the groundwork laid by Gerrard and his background team and been given a great platform to start his Rangers managerial career on.

Gerrard is gone. Gio is the future.

Gerrard tactics worked and I don't think they were the problem this season - although we did change it to more of a midblock.

Gio has a different way and style. Only time will tell if it'll be successful- it's certainly off to a good start. Doesnt mean it's better or worse than Gerrard, it's just different

Rangers were also at very different stages and requiring different tactics. Too hard to compare or say what is best

Managers are great when they win, Gios tactics will be in the shit when we don’t, is what it is.
The first time we don't win under Gio at least one poster will say "we're not winning this league". Have a couple of names in mind :))

SG could do no wrong g in my eyes however on hindsight the change in management has been positive and probably needed.

Agreed. I loved Gerrard but the past two weeks have proven that something wasn't right in his final months at the club and that a new start for him and us was probably the best outcome for both. How he went about it is obviously what hurts his standing amongst the support the most but I've noticed more and more of the support seem hellbent on doing down his achievements here over the past few weeks which is something I'll never got on board with.

I look forward to seeing what stamp Gio puts on this squad over the next two transfer windows. We've got a manager and coaching staff who want to be here now. That's half the battle for me.

Gerrard restored the clubs reputation across Europe. Add to that he built a squad on very little money, I doubt we would have got some of those players if Stevie wasn’t the figurehead.
Gio has been left in the best position of any Rangers manager in my lifetime. Still in Europe, 4 points clear and crucial players returning to fitness, but most importantly Gio has harnessed the team already, he has seen what is here, (and it is the strongest squad in a decade), and his way to play works well with the squad.
Thanks for all you done Stevie, Gio has it from here.

Be excited
. It's going good.
A bit contradictory.

I wouldn't get too excited when comparing his record with Willie Waddell.
Waddell came in mid season too, and won his first five games in charge.
However, by the end of that same season, we managed only ONE win in our last eight games.

SG could do no wrong g in my eyes however on hindsight the change in management has been positive and probably needed.
Hindsight for me shows that ideally SG should’ve left at the end of last season.

I think as soon as we won the league he had ticked that career box and was looking for the next step.

I was really very annoyed with the way he left and part of me still is but thankfully I’ve pretty much got over it. I do however still think SG tarnished his legacy.

It’s all about Gio now.

Really surprised it seems so hard to praise Gio without having to denigrate Gerrard.

Gio has been a breath of fresh air so far but let's not kid ourselves on that he didn't inherit a good team who had just gone stale.

Gerrard did wonders for us in his first job as a manager. Hopefully, Gio takes us up another level.

Back