Gerrard goes for Steve Clarke

Memo to journalists. You’re going to have to get up pretty early to catch our manager out. I wouldn’t bother if I were any of you.

We’ve witnessed hypocritical coverage on this subject for years but you don’t need to remember any of that if you want to get your arms around this subject, the last week has taken care of that. From humor at one end to outrage at the other end of the spectrum, some of it from the same people.

I think the biggest takeaway is Gerrard is showing more and more he's not going to be drawn on their bullshit and that he's fully aware of how ridiculous this kind of sh!t is compared to what happens in England. It's what irks the likes of the top-level pundit class in Scotland: he's so much better at playing their game than they could ever hope to be.

Very well put and condemning it but also highlighting the difference between the reaction to both incidents and various other misdeameanours in other games.
The gaffer really gets it and defending the supporters is also very welcome.
Best bit though is the dig about not letting abuse get to him and moving on from it.
Top class as usual.

Steven Gerrard, the Rangers manager, has questioned the timing of Steve Clarke’s angry response to the latest outbreak of sectarianism in Scottish football.

At Ibrox on Wednesday night, the Kilmarnock manager condemned Rangers supporters for abusing him with discriminatory chanting near the end of his team’s 5-0 defeat in the William Hill Scottish Cup. While Gerrard echoed a Rangers statement in which they said that unacceptable behaviour would not be tolerated, he also pointed out that Clarke had not complained about the conduct of Celtic fans at Rugby Park three days earlier.

In a league match there last Sunday, Kilmarnock’s Kris Boyd was struck by a coin thrown from the away support, who are also accused of calling the former Rangers player a “fat orange bastard”.

“I think it’s happened in the last four or five days to Steve and his players,” said Gerrard. “There was stuff said at Kilmarnock v Celtic as well, but Steve didn’t want to speak about the abuse Boydy got at the weekend. But obviously he’s decided to speak about it last night.

“All I can say is as a club we don’t support any unacceptable behaviour from the terraces. Whatever that may be, whomever it may involve, we don’t support it. We’ve made a statement on it and made that very clear. As a club we want to eradicate that type of stuff from the terraces. We want it out. Whatever kind of abuse it is, we don’t want it. Homophobic, racial, religion, we don’t want it and we don’t support it.”

In his post-match press conference, Clarke also revealed that Rangers had approached him about becoming their manager, a claim that appeared to baffle Gerrard. “If I’m right, I can remember an interview when Steve said there was no truth in that so I’m a bit confused now. Did he get offered or didn’t he?”

Rangers’ statement said they were doing “everything possible” to eradicate unacceptable behaviour at Ibrox. In turn, Kilmarnock said they were “fully behind Steve in condemning sectarianism in all its forms”. The club confirmed they would appeal against the red card controversially issued to goalkeeper Daniel Bachmann early in the replay.

The fallout from an explosive night included a statement from Ian Maxwell, the SFA’s chief executive, who said that he and Neil Doncaster, his counterpart at the Scottish Professional Football League, had already met government and police officials to addressing fan behaviour in recent months.

“The SFA condemns in the strongest possible terms the spate of incidents involving unacceptable conduct,” said Maxwell. “We have witnessed match officials and players hit by coins, sectarian singing at matches and abusive and threatening behaviour towards officials, players, managers and coaching staff. This is completely unacceptable and has no place in football, or Scottish society. Football has a responsibility to take action.

Stevie G once again talking sense. Credit to him for not accepting the standard mantra too easily accepted in the media that this is a one sided issue. Delighted to hear him front up to the hypocrisy and inconsistency we’ve seen in this for years. Decades even. Gerrard has been here a few months, he sees it and he’s not scared to say it. Love him for that.

What’s sectarian about the word 19th Century Terrorist?

This country are such fucking pussies

Absolutely nothing sectarian about it what so ever.

Well done Steven Gerrard, at least one Ranger prepared to ask questions and say how it is. If only we had other men like him who were prepared to stand up and fight.

They are what they are, 19th Century Terrorist bastards.

* 19th Century Terrorist is not sectarian.

Stevie is excellent and whoever is briefing him if at all deserves a bit of praise. Could the much maligned Treaynor be helping or is SG just as savvy as they come?
Perhaps a bit of both.

Not the first time Gerrard's slapped Clarke down in the press this season.

I think we all know it's going to be Gerrard vs Clarke next season when Brenda pisses off this summer.

These are markers being laid down for that coming battle.

I’ll tell you what.... Gerrard isn’t shy in going through his players (throwing them under a bus for want of a better term) and he’d prob do the same to poorly behaved fans if he had to.

......but he doesn’t half stick up for us and the players when the time comes!

4Lads take on it... Good Read

Selective hearing only fuels the sectarian hatred

Before we start this I want to make one thing absolutely clear, Sectarian behaviour is abhorrent and as a society we need to move on from it. I utterly condemn it in every way

But that means Everybody and Everything

Selective hearing and selective mock outrage is doing absolutely nobody any good.

There is those using their position in parliament or a specific political party to push an agenda.

Why do I think or say that?

Because the only time you hear them is when it involves Rangers or our support. Yet when the chants involves ‘Orange Bastards’ or ‘go home you huns’ those very same people are strangely silent

Call it All out or not at all

There are videos of specific IRA chants at grounds which go uncommented on. There are songs played over the tannoy to encourage this ‘beautiful Sunday’ and not a thing is said. There are songs with lyrics which include ‘soon there will be no protestants at all’

When these songs are aired Is requests to meet those clubs publicly called for then? No

Weeks ago we had a stadium singing ‘go home ya huns’ and not a thing mentioned

Where does it stop? Because outside of the highlighted chanting we have ‘Raised in Glasgow slums’ ‘Weegie bastards’ ‘Ayrshire bastards’ ‘%^*& the pope and %^*& the queen’

It’s all regularly heard all over Scotland at various grounds yet it regularly goes unchallenged – it only seems to be our support that is highlighted

That is wrong

This isn’t ‘whataboutery’ it’s a simple fact that the faux moral outcry only suits certain people when it suits their agenda

All sectarian singing is wrong but it isn’t one sided and the fact it’s creeping back in is because only one side is being highlighted

Our club continues to spend thousands of pounds touring the country to educate people. We play a message pre match over the tannoy, we have posted several messages and continue to work in the community. Our club are doing it’s level best

As a support we have to work with our club in that

But it isn’t one sided, the coverage and agenda push to make it seem so is very dangerous

Selective hearing and selective faux moral outrage is as dangerous as anything else to this whole problem

Sectarian singing is not welcome but save me the faux offended nonsense & selective hearing nonsense, also save your ‘it’s political’ defence because that is also as dangerous

It’s wrong, it happens everywhere and not one side of society is responsible

Condemn it all or not at all

He has defended us, attacked everyone on the double standards, and basically said he doesn't give a f*ck what folk call him, all in that 1 statement.

That's more than anyone I can remember in the public eye has done for our image and for us in a long time.

Thank you Stevie G.

What’s sectarian about the word 19th Century Terrorist?

This country are such fucking pussies

20 or 30 years of us / our "side" doing feck all to tackle this sort of mantra has caused the issue.

They were given an inch and took a country.

The after match drink with the opposing team manager must be a really awkward ordeal, especially after you've just royally pumped the other team.
Strangely enough, SG said that Clarke was fine after the match, had a beer and discussed the game. I wonder when he decided to become offended?

The Four Lads blog nails it perfectly.

Only thing I'd say is that there's nothing wrong with "whataboutery".
It IS after all the very basis of the laws of the land -- that everyone gets treated to the same standard.
And that comparisons can be made between similar events and circumstances.

It isn't. ...but they have made it sectarian.
That's the whole issue here , the perception that has been built.

Fact is ,they have successfully demonised all things Rangers , they have been politically astute and vigorously active to this end.

The "19th Century Terrorist " war was lost long ago , it is now a convenient smokescreen for their own brand of bigotry .

We need to wisen up a bit.

There isn't anything sectarian about the word, but it's the combination with b@stard aim at someone that makes it sectarian.

Just the same as the word black. You are black is not racist. You are a black bastard is racist.

It's total selectarianism though. I cant wait til the next Scotland England game. Will the SFA shut parts of Hampden at chants of 'english bastards'. No, I don't think so.

Nonsense from the media, every stadium will end up empty

These bastards have there own 19th Century Terrorist Celtic supporters clubs,but get offended when people say it.no surrender, w.a.t.p.

Stevie is excellent and whoever is briefing him if at all deserves a bit of praise. Could the much maligned Treaynor be helping or is SG just as savvy as they come?
Perhaps a bit of both.
Stevie g is a highly intelligent man and would have known full well about what he might be asked about as rangers manager.also he is from Liverpool which of all the cities in England would be aware of an orange/green divide.

That's the whole issue here , the perception that has been built.

Fact is ,they have successfully demonised all things Rangers , they have been politically astute and vigorously active to this end.

The "19th Century Terrorist " war was lost long ago , it is now a convenient smokescreen for their own brand of bigotry .

We need to wisen up a bit.
This 100%

4Lads take on it... Good Read

Selective hearing only fuels the sectarian hatred

Before we start this I want to make one thing absolutely clear, Sectarian behaviour is abhorrent and as a society we need to move on from it. I utterly condemn it in every way

But that means Everybody and Everything

Selective hearing and selective mock outrage is doing absolutely nobody any good.

There is those using their position in parliament or a specific political party to push an agenda.

Why do I think or say that?

Because the only time you hear them is when it involves Rangers or our support. Yet when the chants involves ‘Orange Bastards’ or ‘go home you huns’ those very same people are strangely silent

Call it All out or not at all

There are videos of specific IRA chants at grounds which go uncommented on. There are songs played over the tannoy to encourage this ‘beautiful Sunday’ and not a thing is said. There are songs with lyrics which include ‘soon there will be no protestants at all’

When these songs are aired Is requests to meet those clubs publicly called for then? No

Weeks ago we had a stadium singing ‘go home ya huns’ and not a thing mentioned

Where does it stop? Because outside of the highlighted chanting we have ‘Raised in Glasgow slums’ ‘Weegie bastards’ ‘Ayrshire bastards’ ‘%^*& the pope and %^*& the queen’

It’s all regularly heard all over Scotland at various grounds yet it regularly goes unchallenged – it only seems to be our support that is highlighted

That is wrong

This isn’t ‘whataboutery’ it’s a simple fact that the faux moral outcry only suits certain people when it suits their agenda

All sectarian singing is wrong but it isn’t one sided and the fact it’s creeping back in is because only one side is being highlighted

Our club continues to spend thousands of pounds touring the country to educate people. We play a message pre match over the tannoy, we have posted several messages and continue to work in the community. Our club are doing it’s level best

As a support we have to work with our club in that

But it isn’t one sided, the coverage and agenda push to make it seem so is very dangerous

Selective hearing and selective faux moral outrage is as dangerous as anything else to this whole problem

Sectarian singing is not welcome but save me the faux offended nonsense & selective hearing nonsense, also save your ‘it’s political’ defence because that is also as dangerous

It’s wrong, it happens everywhere and not one side of society is responsible

Condemn it all or not at all
Great words mate,can't we get this publicised!

Back