Gerrard got the subs wrong today

SG went for caution with the Davis sub and we wouldn't even be debating it had McGregor not misjudged the cross. Personally I would have left one of Hagi/Aribo on as we needed an attacking threat in the last 15 minutes. At the match I didn't think Bacuna contributed much at all but I suppose SG though that Wright wasn't giving enough. Roofe impressed again, this was a good sub.

Last edited:
The reason the manager took of aribo as he explained in post match press conference was he was on a yellow card and on the run and shot Barry McKay had that mcgregor saved,aribo didn’t put a challenge in as he might have brought him down and got a second yellow,so he took the decision their and then to take him off.
Taking Aribo off because of the booking was sensible. Taking Hagi off at the same time was not. Bacuna was never going to track back and Davis and Lundstram don't work well together yet.

We lost shape and You have to question why we didn't have a more direct replacement for Aribo on the bench.

We needed a different set of subs, Bacuna is a decent player not one for protecting a lead though. Hagi was star man in first half then we moved him and lost our rhythm completely.

Manager has to take the blame for this one, maybe our fan media will probe that a wee bit more?

Taking Aribo off because of the booking was sensible. Taking Hagi off at the same time was not. Bacuna was never going to track back and Davis and Lundstram don't work well together yet.

We lost shape and You have to question why we didn't have a more direct replacement for Aribo on the bench.

We needed a different set of subs, Bacuna is a decent player not one for protecting a lead though. Hagi was star man in first half then we moved him and lost our rhythm completely.

Manager has to take the blame for this one, maybe our fan media will probe that a wee bit more?

He wasn't on to protect a lead he was there to create chances and kill the game off which he was doing.

The notion we were going to change for instance Sakala for Aribo seems a bit farfetched. The 3 players on the bench who came on were probably the first 3 the majority of fans would have went to.

Latest posts

Back