Gerrard got the subs wrong today

Did you see either of the two passes he played which should have lead to two goals?

Seems to be todays whipping boy

The comments on him are utterly ridiculous.

He created a one on one and a tap in that the strikers combined to miss both. His job was to create the chances to kill the game, he more than done his job.

He's getting the blame for the forwards not doing their part.

Lundstram (outstanding) but surely everyone could see he was burst after that run with ball up there pitch.
He had to go off. He struggled after that.

And announcing him as MOM as they took the corner for the goal was an absolute jinx

Today we gave away 2 points we were superior in the first half
subs made and team fell apart there can be no excuses for the volume of goal scoring opportunities we passed up today out and out shocking attempts at goal

Morelos was having a shocker and should have been subbed. He takes off Aribo and Hagi who were both playing well and we lose control of the game.

It should have been Roofe and Sakala for Wright and Morelos. Clear as day
10000%

It's not like he was even reacting to Hearts attacking subs.

We made our first sub at the same time and then the other two before they did... terrible management.

Totally baffled by the tactics today.
We're the dominant team looking to increase our lead then suddenly we decide that we're going to sit back and invite the opposition to come at us.
It was an accident waiting to happen.

Substitutions and tactics aren't exactly Gerrard/Beale's strong points.

You knew who the subs would be yet they can't identity the right players to bring off.

Yes Patterson for me should start every game Tavernier is finished but he keeps playing him and it means we offer nothing in terms of threat from the right hand side, his allegiance to Tav will cost him his ob and maybe the league for us, I would like to see an extended run for Patterson to see how many goals we start to score as we are not scoring like a league winning side just now.
Even putting Paterson in front of Tav to protect him and use his energy and pace going forward

%^*& sake this whole thread would not be happening if Morelos hadn’t missed a tap in. Any excuse to have ago at the manager.

Haven’t read through the thread tbh, but couldn’t agree more with OP.
All about opinions, but to me Aribo was having the best game of his season. Looked hungry and confident all game. Got tore in an won his battles. Totally baffled he came off.
They subs put us on the defensive, when despite not finishing our chances, we were doing our best stuff pressing high and on the offensive with Aribo and Hagi forcing them into errors and creating opportunities.

Morelos was having a shocker and should have been subbed. He takes off Aribo and Hagi who were both playing well and we lose control of the game.

This all day long, baffling decision by the gaffer and one that shows his weakness to correctly make subs when and where they are needed.

Finished with a very defensive midfield of Lundstram Davis and Kamara after 75 mins which is when Hearts started to get hold of the game.
Poor attempt at game management for which Gerrard must accept responsibility.
Kamara was a man down in the last 15 minutes.

He is tidy on the ball but not affecting games.

Only he knows the reason for those subs

Substitutions and tactics aren't exactly Gerrard/Beale's strong points.

You knew who the subs would be yet they can't identity the right players to bring off.
Problem is they can identify because it’s the same ones all the time , Hagi being the perfect example.

%^*& sake this whole thread would not be happening if Morelos hadn’t missed a tap in. Any excuse to have ago at the manager.
Mate, I totally disagree with you because Morelos did miss the tap in and as soon as the substitutions were made, we lost shape, positional discipline, offered nothing from midfield and never created another chance worthy of talking about.

The management team got today’s changes so badly wrong and that needs to be admitted by them, privately, but to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Financially, this is the most critical season in our history. Commercial revenue from the 150th anniversary for a successful team and the monies from direct entry into CL, we can’t have these mistakes again.

I just couldn't make out what the point of our subs were.

From us being on the front foot the 1st substitution of Bacuna for Wright immediately saw us on the backfoot for 5 minutes and all the trouble was coming from our left, where Wright had previously been helping Barasic.

IMHO the final two subs just said to Hearts we are happy at 1-0, come attack us and we'll see if we can hold out.

We have a leaky defence and misfiring frontline - trying to protect a 1-0 lead was always fraught with danger.

Mate, I totally disagree with you because Morelos did miss the tap in and as soon as the substitutions were made, we lost shape, positional discipline, offered nothing from midfield and never created another chance worthy of talking about.

The management team got today’s changes so badly wrong and that needs to be admitted by them, privately, but to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Financially, this is the most critical season in our history. Commercial revenue from the 150th anniversary for a successful team and the monies from direct entry into CL, we can’t have these mistakes again.

Two of the substitutions created that chance. Wright had a quieter second half and Aribo was on a yellow and tiring despite having his best game this season. It probably seemed prudent at the time. Alfredo rolls the ball into an empty net from four yards and the subs are inspired.

Short of putting the boots on himself to finish it, I'm not sure what else Gerrard can do.

Don't disagree with Hagi and Wright going off, but Aribo should've stayed on.

At the end of the day the fact of the matter is we lost 2 points because firstly McGregor made a mistake, and secondly Morelos missed from 5 yards. 2 players who have done so much for us. Not sure how much of that is accountable to the manager's substitutions.

Can only think that he took aribo off as he had played twice with Nigeria, behind lindstum he watthe beat in the park.

Wrong subs and wrong tactics trying to see the game out and letting them come on to us. We’ve done this before and been lucky enough to see it out. Inevitable our luck would run out. The price we pay for not aggressively seeking out at least a two goal cushion.

100%

Two of the substitutions created that chance. Wright had a quieter second half and Aribo was on a yellow and tiring despite having his best game this season. It probably seemed prudent at the time. Alfredo rolls the ball into an empty net from four yards and the subs are inspired.

Short of putting the boots on himself to finish it, I'm not sure what else Gerrard can do.
Just watched back the highlights, I accept the Morelos chance was a ball across by Roofe but I still think the changes were wrong.

I wouldn‘t have put Bacuna on and I think Gerrards explanation on Aribo pulling out of the tackle on McKay is a cop out.

I have never once criticised anything done by the management team but today, I think it’s deserved criticism.

The comments on him are utterly ridiculous.

He created a one on one and a tap in that the strikers combined to miss both. His job was to create the chances to kill the game, he more than done his job.

He's getting the blame for the forwards not doing their part.
Team played well today as a whole mostly, especially first half arguably being our best 45 of the season. Hearts inevitably would have periods in the game as they are unbeaten for a reason.

Our strikers weren't firing though and when that happens you need your defence/keeper to bail you out (or vice versa) - unfortunately today a calamity at the back at the death meant Hearts got their equaliser.

What is Bacuna's position? I thought he'd be one of the midfield three instead of one of the front three.

Today was more suited to someone like Arfield coming on IMO.

Subs aren’t always made because a player is playing poorly or avoided because a player is playing well. They could be data and fitness driven.

Goldson, Tav both wasteful and costly which is hardly Gerard’s fault.

Morelos missed a load of chances he should be scoring.

Wright not good enough again.

Blame the players, not the Manager.
Individual errors both in front of goal and defensively clearly cost us but the point people are making is we lost control of the game and invited pressure for the last 15 minutes due to the changes made

I dont know why bacuna was brought on either he doesnt look to be rangers quality at the moment

Agree with the op. Alfie even seemed to think he was being subbed. SG used similar in Hibs game and Alfie and Roofe won the game for us, so I can understand why SG did it.

The manager has spoken before about getting Tavernier and Patterson into the same side.

Yesterday in the second half, with Aribo booked and Hearts getting some joy down our right flank, was a great chance to implement it.

Instead, we saw Bacuna like a fish out of water trying to track back and defend.

With hearts high backline sakala should have been in for morelos after an hour

The space down the sides of the centre backs were massive

Morelos isn’t out pacing anyone these days he looks at least a stone overweight to me

Agree with this, SG misjudged it imo. Think he might have expected Alfie to take one after missing so many chances.
Alfie runs on confidence, when he's scoring regularly he's unplayable, when he's struggling for a goal, it's everything we saw yesterday. Stevie G gambled that he would eventually score, lost the gamble and we paid the price.

Morelos isn’t out pacing anyone these days he looks at least a stone overweight to me

Sakala appears another signing destined not to get the chance even after scoring for his country midweek.

That's what i was thinking mate, a bit pace would have worked wonders.

Aribo and Hagi were done 10 mins in to the second half due to their international exploits, with Kamara looking jaded hence the reason we lost the midfield. It was Lundstram covering on his own at times.

Wright had became anonymous. We had lost the middle of the park, who was going to provide the service to Sakala and Roofe.

We created as many clear cut chances in the half hour Bacuna was on than the 30 mins previous.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but you can’t legislate for your keeper literally flinging one in his own net and your main striker missing almost an open goal after failing to hit the target umpteen times before hand. If McGregor does not blow it half the threads on here don’t happen.

Did we get any reaction from Gerrard after the game? We usually get threads on the mangers reaction but I never seen any

Bacuna played a killer pass that nearly leads to a goal
Hearts were coming back into it and it needed changed, McKay had walked through us
Roofe lays it on a plate
Roofe has a chance he should finish.

Not entirely convinced they were that wrong. the last 10 minutes you would have typically expected Davis to help manage and control it out, we just started to boot the ball anywhere and make silly fouls.

I can only think he was thinking about the Bronby game his subs have always been questionable
Morelos was lucky to come out after halftime he was so far off it his touch and movement were quite awful.

The reason the manager took of aribo as he explained in post match press conference was he was on a yellow card and on the run and shot Barry McKay had that mcgregor saved,aribo didn’t put a challenge in as he might have brought him down and got a second yellow,so he took the decision their and then to take him off.

He’s nowhere near up to speed the the Scottish game yet. If he gets there he could be quite the player.

He still created two guilt edged chances for our strikers and had more of an impact that Wright did (who seems to be struggling after his initial burst in to the team) in twice as long on the park.

The subs were only "wrong" today as the attackers completely failed to put the game to bed.

As I see it, the players we brought up nor the shape change didn't cost us the game at all. It's not like the suddenly started creating a rake of changes when the changes happened. Hearts just started to edge forward as we hadn't got a second.

Back