Gerrard has more points this season - at the same stage - than the last three times we won the league.

BrooklynBlue

There are some with little patience. It's all about 'now'.

When they don't get "now", they demand change. If changes doesn't satisfy them within 12-18 months, they'll demand more "now" meaning more change.

At some point, the Club needs stability, continuity and allowed to build. It's unfortunate but that's the reality.

Blueblood86

Quality of opposition may be lower than previous years.

HOWEVER, hatred towards our football club is significantly higher than ever, and teams strive to take points off us when they play us (especially the likes of aberdeen, Killie, hearts etc). No matter how off form they are, they go into a game against us like it’s a final.

Tommy1912

Doesnt matter how many points etc ar stages. What matters is silverware at the end of the season. Even if we win nothing this season I'm not daft enough to notice major improvement has been done by SG. But next season he needs to back that up with a trophy. If he gets a decent budget again this summer and doesnt win a cup then it's time for a change. I never wanted him in the first place I wanted warnknock. But he deserves next season aswell as we have improved massively.

punk

There are some with little patience. It's all about 'now'.

When they don't get "now", they demand change. If changes doesn't satisfy them within 12-18 months, they'll demand more "now" meaning more change.

At some point, the Club needs stability, continuity and allowed to build. It's unfortunate but that's the reality.
Great post mate

Uncle Albert

Gerrard's sole barrier to being a successful Rangers manager is the games against the top 6 sides.

In all competitions against Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Hearts and Hibs since he took charge we have failed to win on 18 occasions out of 33 - 8 of those games we were winning at a point during the game.

That is what's killing his success, nothing else. So what isn't he learning which has seen the same scenario unfold on 18 occasions?

Leo_Ger

Lessons have clearly been learned.

Otherwise we wouldn't be 9 points better off same stage last season.
What lessons have been learned in the last games against Kilmarnock and Aberdeen compared to last seasons?

SDF

Gerrard's sole barrier to being a successful Rangers manager is the games against the top 6 sides.

In all competitions against Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Hearts and Hibs since he took charge we have failed to win on 18 occasions out of 33 - 8 of those games we were winning at a point during the game.

That is what's killing his success, nothing else. So what isn't he learning which has seen the same scenario unfold on 18 occasions?
It's a bit much to include Hearts and Hibs TBH.

Gerrard has 6 wins, 1 draw and a defeat against Hearts. 3 wins and 3 draws against Hibs.

You'd be as well including Livingston in that case.

SDF

What lessons have been learned in the last games against Kilmarnock and Aberdeen compared to last seasons?
Didn't we pump Aberdeen 5-0 this season ? We also went 2-0 up and were cruising before the players took their foot off the gas inexplicably. That's not on the manager's instructions I'd wager.

Uncle Albert

It's a bit much to include Hearts TBH.

Gerrard has 6 wins, 1 draw and a defeat against them.

You'd be as well including Livingston in that case.
I've included them because it's a specific type of game, the traditionally harder games in any league campaign.

By the same token I've included Hibs who we have 3 wins against this season.

DylanGer

Sensible assessment of the progress made will not outweigh our support's inability to handle them winning and us not winning.

The size of the gap has never really been accepted.

Whilst no manager is bigger than the club and SG is clearly accountable for aspects of the recent collapse I would not underestimate him really arriving at the conclusion he is doing a thankless task and he may be shocked at the fall out as the season progresses.

SDF

I've included them because it's a specific type of game, the traditionally harder games in any league campaign.

By the same token I've included Hibs who we have 3 wins against this season.
The Hibs games at Easter Road last season was nothing to do with being unable to break them down. We passed up countless chances in both matches. We played them off the park twice,

We had 19 shots on goal in each match.

Leo_Ger

Didn't we pump Aberdeen 5-0 this season ? We also went 2-0 up and were cruising before the players took their foot off the gas inexplicably. That's not on the manager's instructions I'd wager.
Last games. 0-0 against Aberdeen and 2-1 against Kilmarnock.

Same shitefests served up as the majority of games that mattered against them last season.

The 5-0 Aberdeen game, half their team was missing. Very much the exception rather than the rule.

Last edited:

SmileyBear

The Hibs games at Easter Road last season was nothing to do with being unable to break them down. We passed up countless chances in both matches. We played them off the park twice,

Surely that is the definition of not breaking them down you do that with goals scored not chances created. poor finishing has been our major problem and we have still not sorted it out.

Uncle Albert

But ultimately didn't win - twice. And it's just too many times to be a coincidence Dunc, with this team, when it's there to reach out and take, they can't do it.

Europe has been excellent again, it's been a mixed bag against them but yet again we're floundering in these types of matches.

18 times this has happened, that isn't a crease to be ironed out, it's a massive gaping hole in his performance.

Midfield General

Posters are saying teams were better back then.I don't know about that but they were more likely to have a go.
I actually think they are more difficult to beat with this ultra defensive set up and trying to hit us on the break.

bluetonic

I think it's supposed to illustrate the path of improvement that we are on.

Season 2017/18 we finished 3rd on 70 points.
Out of Europe at the first hurdle in early July.
Out of League Cup and Scottish Cup in Semis.
Beaten by tims 4 times, losing 14 goals, and one 0-0.

Season 2018/19 we finished 2nd on 78 points.
Out of Europa League at group stage. We were still in it on Matchday 6.
Out of league cup in semis, out of scottish cup in quarters.
Beaten by tims twice but also beat them twice.

It's not a huge improvement there but it is better.

This season we are on 60 points so far with 25 games played. 9 better than last year.
Still in Europa League with a decent chance of last 16, but we'll see how it goes.
Narrowly beaten in League cup final. Still in Scottish cup.
Tims have beaten us twice and we have won at Parkhead.

Again there is a sense of improvement and I think most would agree that performances on the park were better until the winter break where we seem to have lost our form.

I think, all things considered, the best we can hope for at the moment is to see improvement each season. Ultimately resulting in a massive league win and a chance to get into Champions League in the near future.

I think it's possible to be both disappointed with recent results and also happy that we are looking better and better each year and not relying on Graeme Murty to come in halfway through the season after the manager leaves.
I really fail to see how we have improved when we fcuk up two years in a row from a position of strength and momentum

thetoptier

Sensible assessment of the progress made will not outweigh our support's inability to handle them winning and us not winning.

The size of the gap has never really been accepted.

Whilst no manager is bigger than the club and SG is clearly accountable for aspects of the recent collapse I would not underestimate him really arriving at the conclusion he is doing a thankless task and he may be shocked at the fall out as the season progresses.
i won't ever be able to handle 4 wins in 10 against kilmarnock as good or reasonable or inevitable

other's mileage may vary

RedWhiteBlue

I really fail to see how we have improved when we fcuk up two years in a row from a position of strength and momentum
Well I suppose that depends on what metrics you want to use to measure improvement.

If you disregard European results and performances, disregard performance in the cups (so far of course), disregard points gained, goals scored and goals conceded in the league then, sure, no improvement.

Of course if you're willing to disregard all that then I would question your ability to judge whether or not we are improving at all.

Here's a wild and crazy thought. Maybe the way we win the league and build a foundation for future league wins into the next decade is by incremental improvements that will eventually add up to success.

We are improving and we have more potential for improvement. If we can build on this season then I'd fancy us to come out on top next season. If not then we need to keep moving forward. At least we can show we are moving in the right direction.

The all or nothing attitude is Super Scoreboard Openline levels of idiocy.

bluetonic

Well I suppose that depends on what metrics you want to use to measure improvement.

If you disregard European results and performances, disregard performance in the cups (so far of course), disregard points gained, goals scored and goals conceded in the league then, sure, no improvement.

Of course if you're willing to disregard all that then I would question your ability to judge whether or not we are improving at all.

Here's a wild and crazy thought. Maybe the way we win the league and build a foundation for future league wins into the next decade is by incremental improvements that will eventually add up to success.

We are improving and we have more potential for improvement. If we can build on this season then I'd fancy us to come out on top next season. If not then we need to keep moving forward. At least we can show we are moving in the right direction.

The all or nothing attitude is Super Scoreboard Openline levels of idiocy.
The European argument doesn’t really hold when we fail to beat the dross of the SPL where it really matters at the end of the day

Bottom Line

The European argument doesn’t really hold when we fail to beat the dross of the SPL where it really matters at the end of the day
Have you looked at the team selection in Europa League group stages compared to team selection in the 25 league games? Apart from the forward right position and using either Helander or Katic our best team is Greegsy,Tav,Goldson,Katic/Helander,Barisic,Davis,Jack,Kamara,Kent and Alfie plus a n other.This list of players have been made up 10 of our 11 players in all Europa League group games unless unfit (and also the semi final and final of the league cup) contrast that with the 25 league games,the players from this list have made up 10 out of the 11 players in one solitary league game,our 2-1 win against that lot

DylanGer

i won't ever be able to handle 4 wins in 10 against kilmarnock as good or reasonable or inevitable

other's mileage may vary
Yup you can ignore the progress in Europe and in the league and hold onto the negatives.

It's probably what the majority will do anyway and then they will be turning to the board to pull a rabbit out of a hat when they've decided SG had to go.

It's what we do-focus on the negative which is fine but you won't hear an alternative and it would be pretty annoying to point out an awful lot of posters who were going completely OTT about how good we were are the same ones now scratching their head and looking for their pitchfork.

It's predictable and inevitable and honestly what we are looking at is the pretty strong possibility they are going to go on to win an unprecedented amount of titles-forcing SG out the door and demanding another rebuild is likely to increase that number.

It strikes me that this is unlikely to change unless we get a massive break that doesn't look likely at this stage.

DylanGer

Have you looked at the team selection in Europa League group stages compared to team selection in the 25 league games? Apart from the forward right position and using either Helander or Katic our best team is Greegsy,Tav,Goldson,Katic/Helander,Barisic,Davis,Jack,Kamara,Kent and Alfie plus a n other.This list of players have been made up 10 of our 11 players in all Europa League group games unless unfit (and also the semi final and final of the league cup) contrast that with the 25 league games,the players from this list have made up 10 out of the 11 players in one solitary league game,our 2-1 win against that lot
It's no more complicated than European football suits our team better and that Europe came when the team was fresher and we had less important injuries than we've had recently.

SDF

It's no more complicated than European football suits our team better and that Europe came when the team was fresher and we had less important injuries than we've had recently.
It's also brought in the guts of about £28m to the clubs coffers for much needed revenue. And by much needed I mean, we'd be seriously struggling without it. It's not a trophy but Gerrard deserves huge credit for even getting us to this stage.

I get that people are pissed off at the collapse over the past three weeks. But we have two choices here - we back the manager who has a track record of continual improvement over 18 months or we bin him and start all over again.

DylanGer

It's also brought in the guts of about £28m to the clubs coffers for much needed revenue. And by much needed I mean, we'd be seriously struggling without it. It's not a trophy but Gerrard deserves huge credit for even getting us to this stage.

I get that people are pissed off at the collapse over the past three weeks. But we have two choices here - we back the manager who has a track record of continual improvement over 18 months or we bin him and start all over again.
It doesn't matter SDF trying to reason when it's likely the support has to live through more Celtic success with Lennon at the helm. Reason is being and will be ignored.

We really require a very quick turnaround and some big positives or we are looking at something extremely damaging to the club-both in terms of the success they will probably attain and the reaction from our support.

Bottom Line

In the league we have won the games even when 9 players from that list have started,it`s when the amount of players from the list drops to 8 and 7 we dropped points,Arfield and Aribo have both played more league minutes than Davis,Jack or Kamara,only 7 from that list started at Rugby Park

Bottom Line

Exactly,Europa League money at this time is imperative for the club

DylanGer

In the league we have won the games even when 9 players from that list have started,it`s when the amount of players from the list drops to 8 and 7 we dropped points,Arfield and Aribo have both played more league minutes than Davis,Jack or Kamara,only 7 from that list started at Rugby Park
Jack has been injured twice this season.

Davis has been vastly overrated imo and has got worse after the break.

Kamara is a total bargain but nowhere near the level of consistency we need.

Nearly all of our European games are when the team was fresher and to repeat allows our team to play to it's strengths. Scottish football is a different challenge.

People are overthinking things-it's not bottling or formations or anything else it's a pretty stretched squad that has had different issues come together at the same time not least 3 or more key players missing at a time along with a team wide drop in form...collectively and individually.

thetoptier

its not a collapse over 3 weeks

we regularly utterly toil against spl cannon fodder

hence the 4 win in 10 against kilmarnock over 2 seasons